Are Thai people racist? They keeping calling me "Farang"!

Stradavarius37

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My daughter jumped on the keyboard, did not mean to post that.

You seem to have some preconceived idea of what a racist word is, whilst dishing out other "descriptive nouns" that you consider to be offensive.

Its all about the context as iv'e said repeatedly. Negro's often refer to each other as Nigger but it is not in an offensive way, which kinda destroys your 100% theory.

Arguing over made up words and their meaning biggrin.png love it!

No it doesn't destroy my 100% theory because it ain't racism when two people of the same race use the term between each other.

Why don't you go out and ask 10 black people, 10 whites and 10 Thais if the word "nigger" is a racist slur. I guarantee all 30 will confirm it is.

I'll go out and ask 10 black people if the word "farang" is a racist slur. Then 10 whites, then 10 Thais. I think you know that there'd be any number of opinions on whether the word means Caucasian of French extraction, European extraction, plain old white person or just simple "foreigner" etc and therein lies the undoing of your ridiculous argument.

The absence of universal consensus.

If people can't even agree between themselves if the word is a racist slur, your argument has zero legitimacy so like I said, hop on a plane.

• Like 1

My daughter jumped on the keyboard, did not mean to post that.

You seem to have some preconceived idea of what a racist word is, whilst dishing out other "descriptive nouns" that you consider to be offensive.

Its all about the context as iv'e said repeatedly. Negro's often refer to each other as Nigger but it is not in an offensive way, which kinda destroys your 100% theory.

Arguing over made up words and their meaning biggrin.png love it!

No it doesn't destroy my 100% theory because it ain't racism when two people of the same race use the term between each other.

Why don't you go out and ask 10 black people, 10 whites and 10 Thais if the word "nigger" is a racist slur. I guarantee all 30 will confirm it is.

I'll go out and ask 10 black people if the word "farang" is a racist slur. Then 10 whites, then 10 Thais. I think you know that there'd be any number of opinions on whether the word means Caucasian of French extraction, European extraction, plain old white person or just simple "foreigner" etc and therein lies the undoing of your ridiculous argument.

The absence of universal consensus.

If people can't even agree between themselves if the word is a racist slur, your argument has zero legitimacy so like I said, hop on a plane.

“It is a narrow mind which cannot look at a subject from various points of view.”

As I mentioned before the argument has been going on for a long time, prior to the 1960s UK governments used the word colored, I suppose in your narrow little view point that "descriptive noun" is not racist either.

“It is a narrow mind which cannot look at a subject from various points of view.”

As I mentioned before the argument has been going on for a long time, prior to the 1960s UK governments used the word colored, I suppose in your narrow little view point that "descriptive noun" is not racist either.

As a black man born in 1960s London, I didn't - and still don't - regard the word "coloured" as a racist term.

I know more than most on here about what constitutes racism and, in my opinion, no foreigner in this country has experienced anything that warrants the indignant puerility displayed by fully-grown adults on this forum.

If you, personally, are so insulted by the word "farang" then what are you doing about it? Are you insisting that Thais don't use it within earshot?

• Like 2

As a black man born in 1960s London, I didn't - and still don't - regard the word "coloured" as a racist term.

I know more than most on here about what constitutes racism and, in my opinion, no foreigner in this country has experienced anything that warrants the indignant puerility displayed by fully-grown adults on this forum.

If you, personally, are so insulted by the word "farang" then what are you doing about it? Are you insisting that Thais don't use it within earshot?

theyd rather just whine

• Like 1

I never really said i take offence to it, i'm a bit more thick skinned than that. I was just pointing out that it is a label, a description based on ethnicity and that the dreaded "N word" is its ugly cousin.

We obviously have very different opinions on this.

I never really said i take offence to it, i'm a bit more thick skinned than that. I was just pointing out that it is a label, a description based on ethnicity and that the dreaded "N word" is its ugly cousin.

We obviously have very different opinions on this.

Of course it's a label but how can it be deemed a racist slur when there is a complete lack of consensus of what it even means?

Yes, we do have different opinions on this because you're attempting to compare a universally-acknowledged racial slur with a word that still defies all attempts to define it.

• Like 1

Tomorrow I will go to Remembrance Day ceremony in my town. For sure the Wreath will say, for folk like like me, ''Farangs of Ubon''. TOTAL respect for my kind and folk who gave their life for freedom. thumbsup.gif I will sit with Thai guys with arms and legs missing from combat who respect us.

• Like 1

Yes, we do have different opinions on this because you're attempting to compare a universally-acknowledged racial slur with a word that still defies all attempts to define it.

That's because you are comparing ignorant racists from a failed educational system, with western racists from a well developed educational background.

Tomorrow I will go to Remembrance Day ceremony in my town. For sure the Wreath will say, for folk like like me, ''Farangs of Ubon''. TOTAL respect for my kind and folk who gave their life for freedom. thumbsup.gif I will sit with Thai guys with arms and legs missing from combat who respect us.

Are you sure the USA and UK have freedom?

I didn't have it when I was living there. You left too, with all that freedom you had, I'm surprised.

I get much more freedom in Thailand, and the Thais seem to venerate the Nazis.

As for people giving their life for freedom, I was under the impression most who died were conscripts who would have been shot if they dared to say, no thanks, they didn't have much freedom then either.

I always though when wars were fought for stuff like 'freedom'.

The first instruction should have been "OK chaps, we are fighting for freedom, anyone who doesn't want it can quit now!" ........

Edited by FiftyTwo

Freedom is something we perhaps all take for granted. We are relatively safe cos we fought for it. In the UK the system we fought for will take care of you, noooooo question about that. Whether with a gun or going on strike, the system will take care of you.

Those who said no to fight were locked up. Those who turned and run in WW1 were perhaps shot as cowards, thankfully we have moved on from that.

Thailand still has conscripts that might pay the ultimate price.

Your personal UK dilemma does not come into the equation.

Freedom is something we perhaps all take for granted. We are relatively safe cos we fought for it. In the UK the system we fought for will take care of you, noooooo question about that. Whether with a gun or going on strike, the system will take care of you.

Those who said no to fight were locked up. Those who turned and run in WW1 were perhaps shot as cowards, thankfully we have moved on from that.

Which avoided the question

If the UK is such a great and free place, why are you living here, in a place that sided with the Germans and Japanese. Some might think that a wee bit like betraying your brave freedom fighters.

Oh, and the UK, such a great place, it will take care of you .... noooooo question ......, but don't try to take your wife, she ain't welcome!

Edited by FiftyTwo

Which avoided the question

If the UK is such a great and free place, why are you living here, in a place that sided with the Germans and Japanese. Some might think that a wee bit like betraying your brave freedom fighters.

Cos the world has moved on, I have German friends, everyone is buying Jap cars, yes/no.

We must move on but remember those who achieved safety for us. Most conflicts are caused by one numnut, those who did not follow that numnut were killed.

My friend here's mum is German, dad is American, met in Germany thumbsup.gif .