Gold robbers mistook Phuket police patrol as getaway car

webfact

Mr. Preeda and Mr. Somsak confessed to the crime, saying they had been drinking heavily before they decided to rob the necklace.

It seems that alcohol is regularly used as an excuse here, almost as if it is the alcohol which is to blame rather than the perpetrators.

I've had this discussion with a good Thai friend of 15 years: We debate many topics, mostly in good nature, sometimes differences of opinion get slightly heated, sometimes very heated, but we remain good friends throughout: We discussed the possibility of getting into fisticuffs with each other should we be too drunk and take the debate too far... (Which has never happened and I can't imagine it would).

His response - "If it ever happened I wouldn't blame you if you were too drunk"

My response - "We are good friends, no matter how drunk I am, that would never happen - being drunk is never an excuse"

His opinion was that if a Drunk Friend hit him, it would be OK because his friend was drunk so it wasn't really his friends fault. I couldn't agree.

Not only in Thailand. The "enlightened" Judiciary in Australia goes along with this scam to.

All too often, Lawyers claim their client was under the influence or Alcohol and/or drugs and as such, was not to blame for anything from robbery to rape and murder. Again, all too often the overpaid Judges go along with it and accept the excuse as a mitigating circumstance.

Perhaps the Thais have picked-up this stupidity from Australia or indeed other Western "Civilizations" where the: "Wrong doer, can DO NO WRONG." Heaven help the VICTIMS!!!

It seems that alcohol is regularly used as an excuse here, almost as if it is the alcohol which is to blame rather than the perpetrators.

I would love to follow these two guys in their lives. It would be the ultimate comedy....

Well, some might say it's a fine line between crooks and cops, so an understandable mistake really.

Well, in this case it is COOKS & COPS..wink.png

The MAIN thing that I picked up on was this:

"Ms. Pitchniya Kladmee, a manager of a well-known hotel..... a group of police officers were combing the area".

Would a REGULAR person get a GROUP OF POLICE COMBING THE AREA for ONE GOLD NECKLACE ???

I reported $400 stolen from me in my guest house room in KoSan Road (many many years ago). the police station was literally across the road. and the Police didn't even come over to investigate!!!

is it because this woman is wealthy that the police bothered to get off their butts and investigate?

would a group of Police COMB THE AREA if a poor lady from a poor Thai family had been robbed of her one gold necklace?

The pair hailed the officers to stop, and asked the officers to give them a ride to their hideout.

They hailed the wrong police officers. They were probably waiting for their paid-off BIBs but the ones looking for them got there first!

• 2 weeks later...

clap2.gifwhistling.gifwai2.gifthumbsup.gifbiggrin.pnggiggle.gifgiggle.gif Mr Sarcastic to Mr Laughing Man.. you're missing the point. These pick ups are not patrol cars... they are not engaged in patrolling Thai towns or cities. The police sit on their ass until they have to get up and do something.

What's a Thai patrol car?

They're hard to miss...maroon with white doors and a light bar on the roof! Oh, by the way, they have the symbol for the Thai police emblasioned on both front doors! laugh.pngcheesy.giffacepalm.gif

Edited by SPIKECM