old door or material for desk

gatsby32

Hi, yes this is a weird request but I want to be a total cheapskate and "build" a desk. Thinking more like the college dorm method: use an old door on two filing cabinets.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows where in/around Chiang Mai to find old doors or large pieces of discarded glass or marble that could make the top of a desk. My office is enormous, so it can be large.

I guess I'm looking for a junk yard or supply yard for builders -- but I have no idea what that would be exactly in Thailand. Thank you for all advice!

New plywood doors are widely available in various sizes, many less than 1,000 Baht. Suksawat Lumber yard on the Superhighway access road a couple of hundred meters from the intersection of the road to Doi Saket. So if you are coming from town heading to Doi Saket, turn left on the superhighway access road, you will see it a bit past the auto dealer (BMW?)

The problem with "scrap yards" or "recycling centers" or whatever you want to call them is that the stuff is quickly resold and trucked off. Most of the good stuff is there less than 48 hours. I've it very frustrating to scavage stuff around Chiang Mai. If you head out of town past the Mee Chok Rimping and turn right onto the 3rd ring road there are several wood places selling old doors, windows, and other parts of houses.

If I was building a huge desk for cheap, I might look at tiles. I was down in Chonburi last week and saw a box of 1 square meter tiles. 4 in a box for 500 baht.

I just got a nice-looking door from Global House today for 625 that'll work perfectly. The cheapest door there was around 550.

I'll check out the place luther suggested for the other parts needed for my masterpiece. Thanks a lot guys, your help has been invaluable!

Drove really far out on that road luther suggested (two separate days actually), I clocked about 40 km round-trip on my motorbike and didn't find anything like a junkyard. At least, it wasn't apparent from the road. I can't read Thai yet, so it's probably harder for me than for some of you old hands. I did find some second hand furniture shops that seemed pretty good but didn't find anything.

I'm thinking you guys out in the sticks and driving cars have a different idea about distances. Haha.

So, I'm back to square one. Anybody know of any shops around that might have wooden furniture for cheap? Otherwise next stop will be Suksawat Lumber suggested by Dante99 and I'll just have to build it.

Thanks again -