Drivers license test?

molofzzon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldnt mean much if you did. Like most things in Thailand its entirely dependent on where you want to do it, and who is there and what they want on the day. Anything else is only very general guidance.

If you state where you have in mind you may get some better advice relevant to that office.

Edited by CharlieH

My annual drivers license 'test' is one of the highlights of my year. There's no money that could pay for that much entertainment watching Thai's trying to pass this ridiculously east 'test'

Hi Ginboy,

You do know that you do not have to take the test annualy.

After the first year licence runs out you will then be issued with a 5 year licence.

• Like 1

My annual drivers license 'test' is one of the highlights of my year. There's no money that could pay for that much entertainment watching Thai's trying to pass this ridiculously east 'test'

Hi Ginboy,

After the first year licence runs out you will then be issued with a 5 year licence.

Every time I ask at my local office they refuse to give me the 5 year one, say they need to check my residency status annually. From other posts I've read it seems to be very office dependent. Anyway, what else have I got to do with my time, and its entertainment at the same time!

The testing for a Thai driver license is a joke in itself. I took the test two years ago in Burriram. First you view a film on driving safety, than after you must take a written test multiple choice. After reading a English book about the test and watching the movie. I then took the test, None of the multiple choice answers you choose are correct either in the film or the booklett you read. I asked the instructor who was walking around the testing area about three answers that I had questioned. He was supposed to know English and pointed to the correct answer!!! All three answers were wrong, I failed the test and had come in again for re-testing... The best why to pass is to GUESS... Good Luck

• Like 1

is there a place around BKK that will give you the 5 year license , either the first time or after the 1 year license expires ?

I have a USA license and can also bring an international drivers license..

and do I need to bring you own long haired Thai translator or will someone speak english ?

thanks for the info

I failed the written test. Waited the required hour and took it again and passed. I also found 2 questions that had multiple answers that could be correct.

Then took the driving test. After the parallel parking bit, the woman told me "pull up and stop near that red cone on the curb". I did that. She failed me cause I was not within 14 inches of the curb. I said she did not tell me that I had to do that. She told me to leave. I was told I had to wait a week to take it all again. I went to Kaosarn road and bought an International Drivers licence and the next day went to the USA. I even rented a car with that license.

I knew I had to get a real DL and since I had moved went to the requisite DMV. It was much less crowded and easier. Different driving test as well. It was not the same, except that both had a parallel parking test. I passed them all.

Preparing for the test wont help much. The written part is relatively logical. If you can drive then you will probably pass it. The key is to listen carefully and do what they tell you to do. Or watch another do it successfully and then copy them.

Motorcycle testing etc may be different. Did you know that in Bkk it is illegal for a motorcycle to be in the right hand lane? I saw a guy get pulled over for this.

I got my thai licence a couple of years ago went back after 1 year got a new one,runs out over 5 years when i turn 65 on a retirement stamp ..mate of mine uk got he's he comes and go's to thai went back after 1 year told him no retirement stamp no get 5 year, only 1 year so i assume it depends on your stamp in passport..

When I took the Thai driving test, I watched the video, studied the handbook, then failed the written test in English language. The problem was the answers to some questions that they had as correct were wrong. I protested, and took the test again. The lady running things said, when I come to one of those questions, to call her over. I did, and she told me what answer to choose. Every answer she picked was wrong. I said, "You see? Even you can't pass this test". She made some notes and then said, "OK you pass".

BTW: I had a US license and an International license, but still had to go through the whole process including watching the 45 minute video in Thai language which I could not understand.

Wouldnt mean much if you did. Like most things in Thailand its entirely dependent on where you want to do it, and who is there and what they want on the day. Anything else is only very general guidance.

If you state where you have in mind you may get some better advice relevant to that office.

Yes Charlie, the Thai mentality again, the Immigration offices, banks, driving test centres etc. The some will, some won't syndrome.

Found this link for the Thai license written test. http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Most of the questions are not complete, because the setence does not fit in the line allocated in the flash application. I seriously hope in real life it looks different.

Worked fine on my PC, could see all Q no problems. I got 24 out of 30 without watching the vids or reading the help stuff. Anyone know the pass mark? Be embarrassing if I failed, been driving for about 30 years.

Hi Ginboy,

Absolutely true.

Found this link for the Thai license written test. http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Most of the questions are not complete, because the setence does not fit in the line allocated in the flash application. I seriously hope in real life it looks different.

Worked fine on my PC, could see all Q no problems. I got 24 out of 30 without watching the vids or reading the help stuff. Anyone know the pass mark? Be embarrassing if I failed, been driving for about 30 years.

Just found the answer to my own question, you need 23 to pass, so I just got through by the skin of my teeth.

Why do you have annual tests only once for 1 year and therafter for 5 years??

is there a place around BKK that will give you the 5 year license , either the first time or after the 1 year license expires ?

I have a USA license and can also bring an international drivers license..

and do I need to bring you own long haired Thai translator or will someone speak english ?

thanks for the info

Yes, it's out towards On Nut, maybe Suk Soi 99, don't remember exactly but most taxi drivers know it. Handy to have your 'translator' to explain to the taxi driver, also to help fill out the form and explain procedures on you first visit. They generally don't speak English. It's all very straightforward but expect to waste a morning. Once you know the procedure you can manage it yourself when you go back for the 5 year.

A quick look at my UK licence was all they needed, weren't interested in the International but take it if you have one, just never know. When you go for your 5 year of course all you need is your 1 year.

For the 1 year and 5 year renewals you do need a residence certificate (where you live) and a medical which you can get very cheaply at any clinic, without any examination. And take your passport of course.

No driving test but an eye test, colour test, and a reaction test (Tip, don't press hard on the accelerator). Try and learn the Thai for red, yellow and green, easy enough.

Good luck

When I took the Thai driving test, I watched the video, studied the handbook, then failed the written test in English language. The problem was the answers to some questions that they had as correct were wrong. I protested, and took the test again. The lady running things said, when I come to one of those questions, to call her over. I did, and she told me what answer to choose. Every answer she picked was wrong. I said, "You see? Even you can't pass this test". She made some notes and then said, "OK you pass".

BTW: I had a US license and an International license, but still had to go through the whole process including watching the 45 minute video in Thai language which I could not understand.

In BKK never had to take a driving test or watch the video.

Just found the answer to my own question, you need 23 to pass, so I just got through by the skin of my teeth.

Worked fine on PC also. And I failed with only 22 correct. Oh well.