Driver Chiang Rai to Mae Sai

mizztraveller

Apologies if this has been asked oodles of times before but I couldn't get any sense from my search.

We're living in Chiang Mai at the moment and need to do our first border run to Mae Sai next month. We plan to make a short break of it, travel by VIP bus to Chiang Rai and stay a couple of nights. We'd like to find a driver to take us to Mae Sai on our second day. Can anyone advise on how long the journey takes and how much we should expect to pay for a car and driver? We've done the Golden Triangle and the Queen's Gardens on a previous holiday to Chiang Rai so we don't really want to do any sightseeing. Many thanks.

Using a car the trip is less than an hour.

Not sure if the green bus is non-stop but if it does stop regularly allow more time.

You could try to book a car and driver through your hotel or guest house, but I would expect it to be more than a taxi.

It is ran by Green bus. An airconditioned small bus theroretically evey 30 minutes from the old (town) bus station. Just turn up. Green bus are a fairly good comany. One of the better bus companies. Of course there is also a slow open air sit on the roof if all else is full non airconditioned bus if you like to study local culture.

Edited by harrry

Public transportation always entails a bit of risk. You never know about a particular driver on a particular day. I alway prefer driving myself.

I am sure there are days when you can show up and get a seat, while there are other days when it is busy and you may not be so lucky. It is up to you, whether you want to take the chance.

Do you have to book the green minibus in advance or just turn up, I presume at the bus station? Are the minibus drivers as mental as in other parts of Thailand? Have had some of the scariest moments in Thai minibuses!

maybe take green bus one way and local refugee bus one way.....some real characters on local bus...green bus about 1 1/4 hours and local about two hours plenty of departures every day from old bus station...never had a problem with crazy drivers on either one.....