Thailand ranks near bottom in English proficiency: survey

webfact

Thailand needs to take a more serious approach to the employment of foreign ESL/EFL teachers. As I understand it, there is no requirement for foreign teachers to have any formal teaching qualifications (unlike some other countries in the region). Thailand would be better served by permitting retirees to teach, provided they have the qualifications ...and maybe kick out some of the low-renters who are here teaching but have little idea of what they are doing (eg, major in microbiology teaching ESL in order to save money to pay ,or defer paying, student debt).

Most ESL teachers here are ok but many of the best go to countries with better terms and conditions and programs better supported by governments.

Thailand has some of the strictest criteria for foreign teachers. They do not tend to get enforced to the max but they are there. ALL teachers at public schools require a BA in Education (and in many cases a subject specific Ba). In lieu of that there is a possibility of taking 4 tests or a one year course to upgrade a BA to education level.

This criteria is the same for Thai teachers and the same for subject teachers and English conversation teachers. In fact since the rules came in in 2005 and started being enforced in 2008 Thailand has lost many fine English conversation teachers.

Many countries at the EFL/ESL level will accept English conversation teachers with a TESL or equivalent.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, great...if that policy if enforced. Unfortunately, I have encountered many people as i describe, so they must be able to get around the rules somehow. Maybe they are in private cram schools and without the appropriate visa

Thailand needs to take a more serious approach to the employment of foreign ESL/EFL teachers. As I understand it, there is no requirement for foreign teachers to have any formal teaching qualifications (unlike some other countries in the region). Thailand would be better served by permitting retirees to teach, provided they have the qualifications ...and maybe kick out some of the low-renters who are here teaching but have little idea of what they are doing (eg, major in microbiology teaching ESL in order to save money to pay ,or defer paying, student debt).

Most ESL teachers here are ok but many of the best go to countries with better terms and conditions and programs better supported by governments.

Thailand has some of the strictest criteria for foreign teachers. They do not tend to get enforced to the max but they are there. ALL teachers at public schools require a BA in Education (and in many cases a subject specific Ba). In lieu of that there is a possibility of taking 4 tests or a one year course to upgrade a BA to education level.

This criteria is the same for Thai teachers and the same for subject teachers and English conversation teachers. In fact since the rules came in in 2005 and started being enforced in 2008 Thailand has lost many fine English conversation teachers.

Many countries at the EFL/ESL level will accept English conversation teachers with a TESL or equivalent.

Well, great...if that policy if enforced. Unfortunately, I have encountered many people as i describe, so they must be able to get around the rules somehow. Maybe they are in private cram schools and without the appropriate visa

Notice that i stated Public schools. Those working in private schools, language schools and surprisingly Universities are exempt.

to be frank anyone who has done a recognized TEFL course is able to teach Conversational English. Part of the problem here in Thailand is the inability of the organizing body KRUSAPA (Thai teachers council) to see that.

Edited by thaicbr

55 and on the way to 60. The DECLINE over the past 20 years is staggering.

Yes it is staggering, especially considering that there are more Thai university "educated" people now, than ever before, in the history of Thailand. The British have been officially teaching English in Thailand since 1852 (161 years).

At Suvarnabhumi International Airport (arrivals terminal), there is a Thai female Taxi Cab "dispatcher" who literally cannot speak English, and has been observed to become quite verbally hostile towards "farang" travelers, for their inability to speak Thai. Excuse me!

They speak better English on-the-streets of Phnom Phen, Cambodia, than they do in Bangkok. Cambodia lost an entire generation of educators, as a result of Pol Pot's insanity. So, go figure.

More power to the "sleeping" Thai people. The tragedy of their arrogant foley will begin to surface within the next 5-years, for sure.

• Like 1

"All over Asia, Thailand's ranking is only above Kazakhstan"

Although the post is about english proficiency, i would wonder how many thai's are even aware of the geographical location of their closest competitor - "Kazakhstan" tongue.png

The teachers don't know where China is (cannot show you where it is on a map of the world) so what hope do you have of the average Thai knowing where Kazakhstan is bah.gif

Edited by johnlandy

Thailand has been missing a trick here (and an incredible goldmine) for the best part of 5 decades.

Thailand is (or, at least, should be) the obvious bridge/gateway between East and West. We in the west trust them (sort of) and China/Myanmar/Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos trust them (sort of) for our different reasons.

Thailand has consistently failed its youth and its own economic future, in the world rankings (and still insists on doing so) by not making English a mandatory second language and rewarding those pupils who master/excel in it.

I suspect that I shall never understand why.

PS. It's not yet too late,Messrs. Education/Finance minister. But it's approaching the eleventh hour (unless your own mattress is stuffed, already, and you're happy for your country to remain a Second World nation).

Teach the brats English!!!

Edited by Jib Teenuc
  • Like 2

I will attempt to craft this as carefully and respectfully as possible.

I wonder if one of the issues facing the Thai education system is the lack of a suitably focused legacy system. In the US (and I mention the US because I am familiar with it, not because it is superior to others) colleges and universities expend a great deal of resources to generate legacy giving. Corporations, families and individuals can give and are suitably honored for their endowments and other methods of giving. And while it can be argued that this has made many US colleges and universities very wealthy and powerful, it also provides billions and billions of dollars of financial aid.

Here in Thailand, it seems (to me at least) that virtually all legacy gifts are to the temple/religion. I may be sheltered but have yet to hear of giving towards schools or universities. I see dirt poor people collecting money for their temple money tree. I see very old people with virtually nothing requesting fancy funerals for themselves, and equally poor family members doing what they can to honor those requests. Meanwhile the grandchildren, because of no money, are relegated to the more substandard schools.

It often appears to me that virtually the only way to obtain a solid education in Thailand is by having a source of funds. When it comes to education in Thailand it does seem like a case of the haves vs. the have nots. In the west, while it is not universally true, I see example after example of kids who have succeeded and obtained a pretty impressive education through hard work, study and grants and scholarships (and yes - huge loans).

Along the main highway to Bangkok, south of Nakhon Ratchasima stands a magnificent temple that was built by a Thai soap opera star. It truly is a wonder to see with man-made lakes and paved walking paths. It is a mandatory stop for friends and relatives who visit this part of Thailand. And each time we go, there seems to be new construction under way.

In thinking about that temple, I wonder what that television star could have accomplished if instead, he had funneled perhaps half of the funds spent on that temple towards some advanced study courses or an endowed seat (or several) in a university.

Could it be that the Thai people’s deep, deep abiding love for their religion and its accoutrements is playing a part in the shortcomings of their current educational system?

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.
  • Like 2

In regards to teaching quality - another problem I've found here is that many administrators go by looks more than the ability to teach.

Many schools like to choose the 'handsome man' wannabe teacher who's never taught before over the 'but he's a bit old' experienced teacher. if you're young, handsome, experienced and a good teacher, then Thailand is your oyster for jobs.

The problem is, often, parents and kids think that a young handsome face will be more 'fun' than someone older and less handsome, which is certainly true, but are they getting the best education?

Teaching should be about learning, not about how many people like you or you looks.

Edited by Hawkman

I wonder if one of the issues facing the Thai education system is the lack of a suitably focused legacy system.  In the US (and I mention the US because I am familiar with it, not because it is superior to others) colleges and universities expend a great deal of resources to generate legacy giving.  Corporations, families and individuals can give and are suitably honored for their endowments and other methods of giving.  And while it can be argued that this has made many US colleges and universities very wealthy and powerful, it also provides billions and billions of dollars of financial aid.

Here in Thailand, it seems (to me at least) that virtually all legacy gifts are to the temple/religion.  I may be sheltered but have yet to hear of giving towards schools or universities.  I see dirt poor people collecting money for their temple money tree.  I see very old people with virtually nothing requesting fancy funerals for themselves, and equally poor family members doing what they can to honor those requests.  Meanwhile the grandchildren, because of no money, are relegated to the more substandard schools.

It often appears to me that virtually the only way to obtain a solid education in Thailand is by having a source of funds.  When it comes to education in Thailand it does seem like a case of the haves vs. the have nots.  In the west, while it is not universally true, I see example after example of kids who have succeeded and obtained a pretty impressive education through hard work, study and grants and scholarships (and yes - huge loans).

Along the main highway to Bangkok, south of Nakhon Ratchasima stands a magnificent temple that was built by a Thai soap opera star.  It truly is a wonder to see with man-made lakes and paved walking paths.  It is a mandatory stop for friends and relatives who visit this part of Thailand.  And each time we go, there seems to be new construction under way.

In thinking about that temple, I wonder what that television star could have accomplished if instead, he had funneled perhaps half of the funds spent on that temple towards some advanced study courses or an endowed seat (or several) in a university.

Could it be that the Thai people’s deep, deep abiding love for their religion and its accoutrements is playing a part in the shortcomings of their current educational system?

Sometimes it's not about religion but making merit to have even MORE in the next life.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

• Like 1

My step-daughter speaks perfect English.

In government school she scores 1 (lowest score possible) for English because her Thai English teacher doesn't like a student who can speak English, when she (the Thai English teacher) can't.

In a country that allows teachers like this, there will never be any progress.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Thailand has been missing a trick here (and an incredible goldmine) for the best part of 5 decades.

Thailand is (or, at least, should be) the obvious bridge/gateway between East and West. We in the west trust them (sort of) and China/Myanmar/Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos trust them (sort of) for our different reasons.

Thailand has consistently failed its youth and its own economic future, in the world rankings (and still insists on doing so) by not making English a mandatory second language and rewarding those pupils who master/excel in it.

I suspect that I shall never understand why.

PS. It's not yet too late,Messrs. Education/Finance minister. But it's approaching the eleventh hour (unless your own mattress is stuffed, already, and you're happy for your country to remain a Second World nation).

Teach the brats English!!!

No it didn't fail. 150 families for absolutely loaded.

My step-daughter speaks perfect English.

In government school she scores 1 (lowest score possible) for English because her Thai English teacher doesn't like a student who can speak English, when she (the Thai English teacher) can't.

In a country that allows teachers like this, there will never be any progress.

Unbelievable! (Sorry; no; perfectly believable)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The 'survey' was conducted by EF English First. This is a commercial organization that attempted to establish a chain of language schools in Thailand 10 years ago and failed miserably. Their 'research' means little.

This will be the first time I have ever disagreed with you as I generally see eye to eye with you on each and every debate that comes up on TV. I don't think it matters who conducted the survey. I think the results would be the same regardless of who conducted it. Thailand is way below anywhere I can think of as far as English language skills are concerned. It's not the fault of the people, they are eager to learn. It's the fault of the government plain and simple. Unless students attend a good private school, they don't stand a chance of learning enough English to get a job outside of Thailand and in a weird way that seems to be what the government wants.

English is ESSENTIAL as the world moves towards conducting commerce on the internet. Thais are in for a rude awakening in 10-20 years.

10 years?, they are running out of steam to get GDP growth already and they have to import millions of low cost labour to do it.

Their industries are mostly way down the value chain. Forget only English, what about the other major academic subjects?

English is ESSENTIAL as the world moves towards conducting commerce on the internet. Thais are in for a rude awakening in 10-20 years.

10 years?, they are running out of steam to get GDP growth already and they have to import millions of low cost labour to do it.

Their industries are mostly way down the value chain. Forget only English, what about the other major academic subjects?

I don't disagree. People forget how a country/culture's fortune can change in a short period of time if they are not prepared for it. The successful ones pursue advancements in science, health and technology. Those that don't will be eternally at the mercy of the countries that do.

Look at Japan. Look at South Korea. Countries with cultures of strict educational discipline (some would argue too strict).

Now look in your pocket. Is that a Samsung Note 3 I see? Case closed.

Game. Set. Match.

I Love Thailand!

Edited by iluvthailand

I don't disagree. People forget how a country/culture's fortune can change in a short period of time if they are not prepared for it. The successful ones pursue advancements in science, health and technology. Those that don't will be eternally at the mercy of the countries that do.

Look at Japan. Look at South Korea. Countries with cultures of strict educational discipline (some would argue too strict).

Now look in your pocket. Is that a Samsung Note 3 I see? Case closed.

Game. Set. Match.

I Love Thailand!

The only thing Thailand does is disappoint.

These news reports keep coming out declaring the same thing: Thailand sucks at English. Instead of getting better, it looks like it's going down hill. The closer the AEC comes into place, the more it seems that the Thais are becoming nationalistic, which in turn kills their desire to learn English. The foreign teachers aren't even in the loop to actuate change or even slightly influence.

These reports will come out again and again and the only thing that will happen is foreigners will shake their heads in disgust. Thais, yet again.

• Like 1

Yes, high class Thais used to send their children to be educated in England many decades ago, but all that has changed now, in that the English schools have come to Thailand as extensions of their British counterparts, such as Harrow, Shrewsbury et al. Can we expect Eton soon?

I have lived here for 8 years, and the rerasons for this are quite simple.

The Thais believe that Thailand belongs to Thais, nothing wrong with that, I aplaud patriatism. However they also know that foriegners are a neccessity to thier livelihoods. And therefore tolerate us at best. If Thailand could survive without forieners, we would all be kicked out tomorrow, So why should they learn English ?

They hate expats, Im sorry but that is a fact. It is all down to money.

Anther reason is, they are downright lazy. Its too much hard work for them to learn English. But it will backfire on them for sure.

Next month I am moving to the Philippines, where I can have a decent conversation with the locals...............In English.

I have had enough of the money grabbing tactics of these people.

Why oh Why, are we going on about the quality of English teachers. This about Thai people being able to communicate in English.

If you can read, write and speak English, you can teach it. It has nothing to do with where Khazikstan is, it is to do with people speaking English.

There is one post where a teacher says he is teaching English to Thais, knmowing they would rather be somewhere else.

the fact of the matter is, they dont see it as an important issue.

Thats because they can communicate with thier own people and tyhats all there interested in. They do not even want to speak to a foriegner, unless theres money involved.

Add to that they are lazy, they hate us, they wish WE were somewhere else, and there is money in it. And thats it in a nutshell.

I am leaving this place soon, totaly dissilusioned with the people, and thier motives. I have noticed that I am begining to dispise them. The smile is false, and aimed at getting into your wallet.

They do not want to learn English, its that simple, so leave them to it, they will pay a heavy price for it later. And lay off the teachers, you cant teach someone who doesn't want to be taught, simple.

Im not a teacher by the way, and niether are any of my friends, who are also considering leaving here.

• Like 1

Yes, high class Thais used to send their children to be educated in England many decades ago, but all that has changed now, in that the English schools have come to Thailand as extensions of their British counterparts, such as Harrow, Shrewsbury et al. Can we expect Eton soon?

Eton most definitely does not need the exposure and if you think the experience for little somchai attending Harrow in bangkok whilst being delivered in daddy's chauffeured merc versus boarding are the same, you are sadly mistaken.

• Like 1

Why oh Why, are we going on about the quality of English teachers. This about Thai people being able to communicate in English.

If you can read, write and speak English, you can teach it. It has nothing to do with where Khazikstan is, it is to do with people speaking English.

There is one post where a teacher says he is teaching English to Thais, knmowing they would rather be somewhere else.

the fact of the matter is, they dont see it as an important issue.

Thats because they can communicate with thier own people and tyhats all there interested in. They do not even want to speak to a foriegner, unless theres money involved.

Add to that they are lazy, they hate us, they wish WE were somewhere else, and there is money in it. And thats it in a nutshell.

I am leaving this place soon, totaly dissilusioned with the people, and thier motives. I have noticed that I am begining to dispise them. The smile is false, and aimed at getting into your wallet.

They do not want to learn English, its that simple, so leave them to it, they will pay a heavy price for it later. And lay off the teachers, you cant teach someone who doesn't want to be taught, simple.

Im not a teacher by the way, and niether are any of my friends, who are also considering leaving here.

Better to leave. Once you get cynical,, it's definitely time for a change of scenery.

• Like 1

The problem with 2nd languages is that unless you need them or use them frequently, the ability to use it tends to diminish (unless you are very proficient). I took years of Latin, I can't say anything other than a handful of things in Latin, although I can still read some of it.

Thais aren't a lot different. Those that have to use the language tend to be a lot better. The example of bar girls is often given. People complain about Thai English Teachers, but remember many of them do not have to speak much English. Their classes are all Thais.

Once English starts permeating the Thai environment, I have a feeling it will improve. When they have to use it, they will use it.

Thais are no more stupid or lazy than any of their neighbors. They are a relatively large country with a single language and no, they weren't colonized, so they don't have a history of the use of the language.

The education system has many problems. Some of these contribute to the problem.

• Like 2

The problem with 2nd languages is that unless you need them or use them frequently, the ability to use it tends to diminish (unless you are very proficient). I took years of Latin, I can't say anything other than a handful of things in Latin, although I can read some it better.

Thais aren't a lot different. Those that have to use the language tend to be a lot better. The example of bar girls is often given. People complain about Thai English Teachers, but remember many of them do not have to speak much English. Their classes are all Thais.

Once English starts permeating the Thai environment, I have a feeling it will improve. When they have to use it, they will use it.

Thais are no more stupid or lazy than any of their neighbors. They are a relatively large country with a single language and no, they weren't colonized, so they don't have a history of the use of the language.

The education system has many problems. Some of these contribute to the problem.

I never learnt to speak Latin. It helped with learning languages though.

We actually did have to speak Latin. Our teacher had studied to be a priest and spoke Latin quite well.

The same scenario fits for a lot of people. Europeans often make fun of US citizens for their lack of proficiency in foreign languages, but again, foreign languages aren't used much, with the exception of Spanish in the Southwest and interestingly enough my very aged mother even managed to pick up enough of it to function with workers who didn't speak English. In Europe, on the other hand, you are often educated in several languages and they are used on a regular basis.

It is sad that the country hasn't put forth a more concerted effort to bring the country up to speed, but such planning and effort isn't really a hallmark of the culture.

• Like 2

I wonder if one of the issues facing the Thai education system is the lack of a suitably focused legacy system. In the US (and I mention the US because I am familiar with it, not because it is superior to others) colleges and universities expend a great deal of resources to generate legacy giving. Corporations, families and individuals can give and are suitably honored for their endowments and other methods of giving. And while it can be argued that this has made many US colleges and universities very wealthy and powerful, it also provides billions and billions of dollars of financial aid.

Here in Thailand, it seems (to me at least) that virtually all legacy gifts are to the temple/religion. I may be sheltered but have yet to hear of giving towards schools or universities. I see dirt poor people collecting money for their temple money tree. I see very old people with virtually nothing requesting fancy funerals for themselves, and equally poor family members doing what they can to honor those requests. Meanwhile the grandchildren, because of no money, are relegated to the more substandard schools.

It often appears to me that virtually the only way to obtain a solid education in Thailand is by having a source of funds. When it comes to education in Thailand it does seem like a case of the haves vs. the have nots. In the west, while it is not universally true, I see example after example of kids who have succeeded and obtained a pretty impressive education through hard work, study and grants and scholarships (and yes - huge loans).

Along the main highway to Bangkok, south of Nakhon Ratchasima stands a magnificent temple that was built by a Thai soap opera star. It truly is a wonder to see with man-made lakes and paved walking paths. It is a mandatory stop for friends and relatives who visit this part of Thailand. And each time we go, there seems to be new construction under way.

Spot on - all over Thailand are the most amazing temples, and edifices to the folly of man (Muang Boran by Khun Lek is a case in point) which appeal to the vanity of misguided rich people but very littel to the deserving poor. Very sad and a travesty of Buddhism in every respect.

http://vimeo.com/13790348