returning to Thailand from more than 20 yrs in US

dogrun

My Canadian husband and myself (Thai) will be retiring in Thailand early next year and would like to hear

folks in this forum experience about shipping household item, washer/dryer/frig, furniture.

I see that the cost of buying new items in Thailand is more than 3 times we paid here in Hawaii.

Any suggestion on which shipping co to use, duty??

comments are appreciated.

Your 110 volt 60 Hz washer, dryer and fridge probably won't work here at 220V, 50 Hz without some trauma and drama. You'll have the step down the voltage and the motors will run slower at 50 Hz, maybe destroying the equipment.

Most non-motor based electrical stuff will probably possibly work. Most modern electronics, TV, laptops, etc generally run on 90-250 V, and 50 or 60 Hz. But check the back to see what the rated input voltage is.

I have found most home appliances here to be pretty reasonable. If it were me, I'd sell the big stuff before I'd pay to ship it.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

What exactly is it you think is double or triple the cost in the US?

Yes, there are a few things that are more expensive because of import taxes like many falang food items and surprisingly good quality linen for the bed, tennis balls and rackets and good towels and of course cars.

However, electronics and big and small appliances are very close or slightly more expensive to what we pay in the US. If you want appliances that are like in the US then yes they can be more expensive, but I think triple is really pushing it, so what exactly are you worried about that is going to cost you a bundle?

Edited by oneday
  • Like 1

Yes, there are a few things that are more expensive because of import taxes like many falang food items and surprisingly good quality linen for the bed, tennis balls and rackets and good towels and of course cars.

However, electronics and big and small appliances are very close or slightly more expensive to what we pay in the US. If you want appliances that are like in the US then yes they can be more expensive, but I think triple is really pushing it, so what exactly are you worried about that is going to cost you a bundle?

I recommend sell all your stuff and buy new in Thailand. Packing and container shipping costs, time and effort will render any value in your existing goods worthless including the furniture.

There is also a risk of damage or loss of goods in shipping and insurance is not cheap. You might get unlucky and some of your electronics may not work after transport and that may not be redeemable by insurance which may demand you just repair it if they indeed accept claims for goods not working with no sign of physical damage to the consignment.

Remember voltage and frequency is different and your goods are already depreciated according to their age. Let them go and start anew.

• Like 1

We were away for 40 years before returning as snowbirds for six months each year. We brought nothing except what we could bring via the airline bag weight limits.

In that you have been away for so long, you may want to consider putting your stuff in storage before paying the big bucks for shipping. That would provide you with a potential alternative plan in case you decide that this is not the place for you.

And if you do decide that this is the place, you would be much smarter concerning your alternatives and have better insight concerning what to ship and not ship.

Good luck to you. Life is an adventure and I can't think of much better ways to keep those brain cells alive and rocking than to move to a different culture, language and country.

• Like 2

Leave the old stuff behind. Buy new here. Easier that way what with the voltage and Hz issues between the US and Thailand. Also you will save a good deal on the shipping, the customs duty (if any) costs and the hassle of getting things packed up and into a container (doing it yourself... packing that is into a container is cheaper and easily done in the US), and then there will be the transportation costs to the new home here from the port (or wherever).

Remember that you will be starting a new life so to speak here so why not start fresh.

• Like 1

I'm from Hawaii and I find that it it is definitely LESS expensive in Thailand for most items. If you buy locally made products, it is actually much cheaper. Hawaii doesn't really have a manufacturing base and it's agricultural base is also quite small so almost everything is shipped in across the Pacific by sea or air. I sold all of my furnishings before moving here but I know a lot of expats who have used Asian Tiger(s) to relocate their furnishings.Best of luck.

• Like 1

Agree about not shipping items like washer/dryer/fridges due to voltage /frequency differences.

Whatever you do decide to ship back suggest you ship in your name only. As you will be a returning Thai you will be entitled to duty free import household goods. (need to have been out of Thailand for 1-2 years, cannot remember exact, which you appear to have been ref post title.)

• Like 1

My wife and I made the big move several years back and found that it was a lot more cost effective to leave the big stuff (appliances and furniture) in the USA. Furniture can be purchased as cheaply as shipping it, appliances do not work well on 50 Hertz and no repair capability for them. The exception was the car; since we had a newer Accord and they cost about $50K here we shipped the car using my wife (Thai) as the shipper/owner. A little strange driving at first (steering wheel on the opposite side from those here), but got used to it. We also shipped all our small electronics, clothes, books, etc. with the car to save a little money.

• Like 1

Can only add that we moved to Thailand seven years ago from the US and left all appliances and furniture behind, We did find an excellent mover to ship household items like dishes, art, kitchenware and clothes, and everything arrived intact. Because my wife is a Thai national, there was no duty on household items.

Once here, we bought appliances, and found quality appliances only slightly higher than the US. The only items significantly more expensive was the car, but buying a new Toyota here with the warranty is a very good deal.

That much said, Thailand is not as cheap as it used to be, and I would recommened an outside source of income. Working here can be.... ahem, complicated! :)

Don't bring anything electrical from Hawaii it won't work on this current. Major appliances are

much cheaper than Hawaii, You can buy nice furniture here at IKEA in BKK and take it to

your new home. I lived in Chiang Mai for a year, and now in Jomtien Beach, Learn to

speak Russian is you are moving to Pattaya 5555555.

I lived in Hawaii 25 years, and it is so much less expensive here, but get use to the humidity,

and the entire place needs to be pressure washed, SE Asia..........The water here, Ocean is

so dirty and filthy, find a place with a great pool. Koh Larn Island is like the neighbor islands

of HI, beautiful clean water, 45min boat ride from Pattaya, need to wear a life jacket for safety.

Good luck, the Thai food at BKK Chef in HI was good, this is awesome.

Cars and gasoline are extremely expensive $4.50 gal, and a small car will set you back 22K+

I've been informed that Thai Nationals returning to take up permanent residency are exempted from paying duty on their household items and even cars having been in use while abroad.

But leaving Hawaii to retire to Thailand. sounds unwise to me. Most Thais would want to go the other way.

Bite the bullet, sell everything, and start over, here.

After living elsewhere, for such a long period, you will definitely see your home country under a different light.

Chok dee!

As already mentioned different voltage for appliances. Damage to furniture while shipping, cost.

Bite the bullet, sell or give everything away. Start fresh. I take it you have both been back

regularly to visit. If you have not take at least a three month visit.

Best advice. With the exception of family heirlooms and real sentimental valued personal items, you would be well-advised (despite what you may have been told about price comparisons "Thai vs Hawaii" ) quality household furnishings can be purchased in Thailand, @ reasonable prices.

The most expensive, single (over-priced by comparison) purchase you'll ever make in Thailand, is the cost of a new automobie. Depending upon "where" in Thailand, you intend to settle, the cost of a roomy, two bdrm, 60 sq.mtr. condo, in NE (suburban) Bangkok, can be purchased for less than the price of a new Toyota Camry, if that gives you a clue.

I would not consider shipping furniture or electronics, eg, televisions, fridges, etc. Buy your new cameras, laptops and smartphones in the US or Canada, prior to relocating to Thailand, as the purchase prices for those electronics tend to be 15-20% higher in Asia, due to the VAT as well.

Hope this tidbit is helpful to you folks, Cheers smile.png

Although the value of the dollar,pound,euro etc vs the baht is pretty poor at the moment(tho i've known worse)I find it hard to believe that Hawaii,mainly geared to the US tourist, is triple the price cheaper than Thailand for household items.

Just to point out 20 years ago it was 25bht/USD, so they will be seeing a 20% increase in the value of their dollars with the current rate 30bht/USD.

Buy your new cameras, laptops and smartphones in the US or Canada, prior to relocating to Thailand, as the purchase prices for those electronics tend to be 15-20% higher in Asia, due to the VAT as well.

img]http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Agree with all except the smartphones, unless you can get them factory unlocked. Most of the smartphones you get in the U.S. wont work in Thailand. Don't know about Canadian ones though.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've been informed that Thai Nationals returning to take up permanent residency are exempted from paying duty on their household items and even cars having been in use while abroad.

But leaving Hawaii to retire to Thailand. sounds unwise to me. Most Thais would want to go the other way.

I quite agree w/ "most Thais would want to go the other way" quote. If you can comfortably afford to live in Hawaii, on your retirement income(s), then what would possess you to go through the hassle of relocating to Thailand to begin with? Your Thai wife is definitely not without a Thai cultural support group in Hawaii. I've been there, and there more than just a few Thais in Honolulu.

In Thailand, your wife is Thai, so she can jump right in, as if she never left. But, living in Thailand, as a North American expat & any western foreigner can become a very lonely life, especially if you are considering living in the provinces. Cities like Pattaya, Jomtien, etc. have large North American & European support groups.

Bringing a car to Thailand from Hawaii world be ludicrious, considering that Hawaii is left-hand traffic, compared to Thailand's right-hand traffic pattern. Driving in Thailand is dicey enough, w/o having to deal w/ that scenario, as well.

Regarding duty exemptions in Thailand, I suggest you first check w/ the Thai Embassy, prior to making any shipping arrangements.

Believe me, if I could afford Hawaii, there is no way that I'd be living in Thailand, during my retirement years. No way at all whistling.gif

• Like 1

Buy your new cameras, laptops and smartphones in the US or Canada, prior to relocating to Thailand, as the purchase prices for those electronics tend to be 15-20% higher in Asia, due to the VAT as well.

img]http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Agree with all except the smartphones, unless you can get them factory unlocked. Most of the smartphones you get in the U.S. wont work in Thailand. Don't know about Canadian ones though.

David

Ok, thanks for the correction, Genericnic. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Leave the old stuff behind. Buy new here. Easier that way what with the voltage and Hz issues between the US and Thailand. Also you will save a good deal on the shipping, the customs duty (if any) costs and the hassle of getting things packed up and into a container (doing it yourself... packing that is into a container is cheaper and easily done in the US), and then there will be the transportation costs to the new home here from the port (or wherever).

Remember that you will be starting a new life so to speak here so why not start fresh.

No that's good, sound and usable advise. Cheers clap2.gif

I once did what you wish to do,, i had many newish items that would be useful in the new house i built in Issan,, i have vast experience in the shipping of items world wide as i have done it many times and the funny thing was out of all the things i brought into Thailand the most valuable items were the shipping boxes,, the advice i give you is don't do it because the stress involved is not worth it, otherwise photograph everything and itemize everything and then put a value price beside each item in US Dollars if you want but in Thai Baht because you will be taxed on every item you bring in and the tax you pay is up to the Customs Department and you don't want to argue with them,, i usually do all the packing and paperwork and shipping because i know how to do it but i would recommend you get a professional to handle the packing and shipping and remember to do the transfer door to door, personally i would buy everything here because it is cheap and i get guarantee with my purchase,, i know many items have personal and sentimental value and better made than in this country but at the end of the day, you make up your own mind as the items are yours, just keep in mind the electrical items.post-141778-0-59876900-1383919603_thumb.post-141778-0-65703600-1383919666_thumb.post-141778-0-39141900-1383919699_thumb.post-141778-0-18079500-1383919725_thumb.post-141778-0-21677400-1383919748_thumb.post-141778-0-66668900-1383919772_thumb.post-141778-0-41985300-1383919794_thumb.

• 7 months later...

It is my first time using tapatalk. I know I'm not using it correctly but this is as close to the topic that I need info on.

Please feel free to direct me to use this forum correctly if necessary.

My question is Does anyone know the cheapest way to send a package valued under $10..00 from the United States to Thailand. My sister has just started a teaching job there and I'd like to send her a gift or two?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk