Where to Purchase Separate Chain Ring Sprockets BKK

oldmajor

Hello All,

I have Trek 4500 that has a really tough life. I do my best to clean and lubricate the drive train and have managed to get about 4000 KM from my cassette, chain and chain ring. I am still a bit of a nube when it comes to bikes and was not aware that the chain should be replaced quite often compared to the chain ring etc.I checked to see if there was any play between the chain ring and chain this week and was horrified at the amount of play. I checked the rest of the drive chain and found that the cassette needs replacing and the large chain ring looks like sharks teeth.

I usually go to Pro Bike for my spares but find that they are not usually interested in stripping down cassettes, derailluers etc. Their attitude is to replace the complete item

I would like to know if anybody has any experience with other shops in BKK where we can buy separate chainrings etc.Most of the kit on my bike is Shimano

Probike or any reasonable bike shop should do this for you.

If you're just planning to change the large chainring, probike etc may only stock separate higher end rings - eg XT etc. Good upgrade though.;)

If online, check your BCD ,teeth count and chain compatability [9sp etc].

Overall, you might want to consider optimising your gearing to suit your riding style. [seems like you've been hammering the big ring!!!]

Probike or any reasonable bike shop should do this for you.

If you're just planning to change the large chainring, probike etc may only stock separate higher end rings - eg XT etc. Good upgrade though.wink.png

If online, check your BCD ,teeth count and chain compatability [9sp etc].

Overall, you might want to consider optimising your gearing to suit your riding style. [seems like you've been hammering the big ring!!!]

I'm really in two minds whether to upgrade or even downgrade! Where I ride is all sand and extremely abrasive. I fear that if I upgrade, the premature wear will not really make it viable. Downgrade and I can throw these parts away. I only ride to keep fit, no competitions or anything serious

Aluminum chainrings are light but wear out quick with grit and use.

If your after economy and less maintenance then go with the granny and middle chainring made of steel.

They will last a lot longer and less cost... Will add a few grams to your bike weight..

If your wearing out your large chainring then something else is up like using the wrong lube or not changing the chain often enough.

Even a large AL chainring on a XTR/XT/SLX crankset should just about never wear out.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks CSN. I have just replaced the big ring, complete cassette, jockey wheels and chain. (I had to buy the complete crankset from Probike)

I can tell you that you are correct on both counts. The chain should have been replaced long ago and the lube that I had available is not acceptable.

What type of lube do you recommend for muddy, sandy conditions?

I use "Finish Line - Wet Lube (Cross Country)" on my mountain bike. But if you ride in extreme muddy conditions no lube can handle it. The sand will grind away the oil. Best you can do is clean the chain and lube it after every ride then.

WET_Lube_Family_th.jpg

Easiest way to check the chain is a special chain measuring tool (chain checker). Very easy to handle and you can check your chain in 5 seconds while lubing it. Replace the chain early and your sprockets will last much much longer.

I always try to find a happy medium for the components i buy. I don't buy the cheapest components but also not the expensive stuff. Even the expensive components will wear/break when riding in mud/sand.