Vehicle Mods/Engine changes.

Spoonman

Does Thailand have limited as to the capacity of engine swaps and other mechanical modifications.

Think along the lines of putting a 1uz (and convert to rear wheel drive) into a Front 4 cyl front wheel drive vehicle.

Back home this is not allowed as you cannot cut the firewall, but what about Thailand ?

So long as an engineer (Thai) signs off on it, and it's inspected by the DLT and blue book updated, no problems. First step is finding an engineer that will sign off on what you want to do (make sure they have had work passed by the DLT before though).

With the dismal resale value of my Jazz and the poor resale value of Volvo V40, which I am contemplating, I am now thinking of swoping the 1.5 engine in my Jazz for a k20 from the Civic. Anyone can advise on the downside risks? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

With the dismal resale value of my Jazz and the poor resale value of Volvo V40, which I am contemplating, I am now thinking of swoping the 1.5 engine in my Jazz for a k20 from the Civic. Anyone can advise on the downside risks? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Downsides?

Over-capitalizing in the car.

Might not fit.

Unsalable vehicle later on.

So long as an engineer (Thai) signs off on it, and it's inspected by the DLT and blue book updated, no problems. First step is finding an engineer that will sign off on what you want to do (make sure they have had work passed by the DLT before though).

An engineer to sign it off? Never heard of it.

Make sure you have all the necessary paper work- invoice for the engine - fit it in the car and drive it to the DLT... Easy.

At least that is the way at MoChit.

Make sure you have all the necessary paper work- invoice for the engine - fit it in the car and drive it to the DLT... Easy.

Got an example of a mod you've had passed at MoChit without an engineers approval?

OP is talking about structural modifications, not changing light bulbs :)

Did you have a look on the Honda Jazz Club of Thailand, Honda Jazzlovers club,

You have Fit/Jazz freaks, Spoon Honda, RS Honda, Mugen Honda clubs in Thailand.. feel sure someone will have an answer

Cannot remember 100% where there is a showroom and workshop J s Racing [Honda] not far from CW Immigration

He's right, no engineer's report is necessary. Just make sure all the paperwork is updated. All my cars and several belonging to friends have had modifications done by a serious renovation/modification company owned by Thai friends of mine, S Y Antique and S Y Unique Performance, no engineers reports ever required.

I am surprised there is a free for all on vehicle modifications but excited none the less.

Time to find me a cheap Toyota Yaris to start cutting up.

Exciting! Extraordinarily so!!! w00t.gif

I was thinking something like a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in a Suzuki Alto. The Alto was always a bit slow away from the lights.

post-63954-0-00278200-1384064183_thumb.j

post-63954-0-07669000-1384064242_thumb.j

I am surprised there is a free for all on vehicle modifications but excited none the less.

Time to find me a cheap Toyota Yaris to start cutting up.

Have you ever seen an etan? :P

Better, look at any old American car or Benz - almost all have a Toyota engine in them now.

for a true k20a (220hp intergra motor) you are looking at 150,000.

excluding fitting ofcourse.

be aware, 220hp in a jazz will give you excessive torque steer.

as for the 1UZ----what are you planning to fit it in....?

i would realllllly avoid putting a rwd transmission like the 1uz into a fwd. (in most cases people who want to do something along those lines will convert a fwd to AWD) which is easier done...plus suppose you go for the EVO 4g63 motor/transmission it would weigh much less than a 4000cc quad cam v8 and at the same time produce more power and consume less fuel.

Was more thinking out loud than anything Phillip but if I was to do "something" it would be a Yaris (or some small sedan/Hatch) + 1UZ turbo Combo with a fabricated full chassis and cage driving the rear wheels only..... I give no fark's for corners so think along the lines of a daily driver drag car that can run easy 9's.

Spoonman,

"Posted Yesterday, 18:44

Was more thinking out loud than anything Phillip but if I was to do "something" it would be a Yaris (or some small sedan/Hatch) + 1UZ turbo Combo with a fabricated full chassis and cage driving the rear wheels only..... I give no fark's for corners so think along the lines of a daily driver drag car that can run easy 9's. "

My recommendations is go for a BMW E30 coupe, they weigh about 1050kg....dam light!

fit a all std 260hp 1uz-fe and you will automatically run 12's! if you have good traction.

If you want to run in the 9-second bracket....you need about 600HP in a car that weighs that little.

I actually have a 1uz-fe sitting in my garage collecting dust....(1uz-fe engine only) with brand new in the box (CP forged 9:0 pistons, forged H-beam connecting rods, ACL race type bearings and ARP bolts).... the original idea was to buy an E30 coupe, and bolt a turbo/supercharger to this (low compression) 1uz and make between 600-900hp. but kinda lost interest in the project as to have 900hp you will need one dam expensive gearbox and drive train rework....obviously you can do a basic boost job and run 400-500hp without any issue(sabi sabi) and dont need excessive budget but yea as i said i kinda lost interest in it.