Two Russian tourists die in crash in Thailand after driver dozes off at wheel

webfact

Russian Driver 'Dozes Off' Prior To Deadly Crash

By Khaosod Online

rus.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two Russian tourists were killed in a road accident on Nakhon-Surat Road in Nakorn Si Thammarat province yesterday after the driver reportedly dozed off and crashed the vehicle into a large tree.

Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene to find two Russians trapped inside the damaged car. They were later identified as Mr. Muttafan, 35 and Ms. Aya, 28 (spelling transcribed from Thai text).

Nearby, police found another Russian tourist, identified as Ms. Ira, 28, who is believed to have been thrown out of the car.

The tourists were transported to Sichon Hospital, where Mr. Muttafan and Ms. Ira later died.

Initial investigation revealed that the Russians are relatives on their vacation in Thailand. The family had previously holidayed in Samui Island and later traveled to Malaysia, police said.

On their way back to Samui Island from Malaysia, Mr. Muttafan, who was driving the car, fell asleep and caused the car to spin off the road, eventually hitting a large tree, according to the officers.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE16a3dNekE1Tmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-09

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another unfortunate car accident. No Thai's to blame for this one so should be short thread.

Perhaps, the BIB conjecture is correct that the Russian driver fell asleep and caused the accident, but quite frequently in LOS cars are run off the road by other drivers that have fallen asleep and the like. So let the thread begin.

It's a valid question to ask how do they know he fell asleep. So soon after the accident and driver likely has serious injuries. It's not like they look in the car wreck and find a snoring driver at the wheel.

It was that or suicide and asleep at the wheel is less paperwork and nosy folk from home asking questions. No locals, no investigation needed.

It's a valid question to ask how do they know he fell asleep. So soon after the accident and driver likely has serious injuries. It's not like they look in the car wreck and find a snoring driver at the wheel.

It was that or suicide and asleep at the wheel is less paperwork and nosy folk from home asking questions. No locals, no investigation needed.

Nice easy way not to investigate or take things any further....and with non thais only involved..less complicated.

Looks like a new Bangkok registration so unlikely that the steering failed...eh...No cant say that....motorbike overtook and driver tried to avoid...nope ...witnesses..nope.........Burst Tyre.....???

RIP the dead.....

• Like 2

@harrycallahan: Perhaps you might consider investing in some new spectacles, because if you were able to 'read' properly, you might have discovered that the driver died in this accident, as did 1 other pax. however; there WAS a third pax. ("thrown from the vehicle") who survived. Do you agree that it might just be possible that this (lone surviving pax) may have contributed to the facts, namely that the driver fell asleep at the wheel ? ? ? ?

What do YOU think ???

coffee1.gif

"Nearby, police found another Russian tourist, identified as Ms. Ira, 28, who is believed to have been thrown out of the car.

The tourists were transported to Sichon Hospital, where Mr. Muttafan and Ms. Ira later died".

Perhaps you should also consider buying new spectacles or learn to read properly. The person thrown from the car died.

Guys there were 3 Russians involved, 2 trapped in the vehicle and one on the road. Two died and 1 survived.

Ms Aya

Ms Ira and;

Mr Multafan

Edited by chooka

Driving back from Malaysia, they could check the passports on the entry and check with the immigration on the time they entered and work out how far he had driven in the time of entry to the time of the accident and then come to a conclusion, I think.

It is pointing towards a probable doze off accident, like your watching the telly and your tired and all of a sudden you are in a sleep. RIP to the innocent ones.

• Like 2

Just another unfortunate car accident. No Thai's to blame for this one so should be short thread.

Perhaps, the BIB conjecture is correct that the Russian driver fell asleep and caused the accident, but quite frequently in LOS cars are run off the road by other drivers that have fallen asleep and the like. So let the thread begin.

I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident in Canada. When I was in the hospital my room mate was a Royal Canadian Mou8nted Police Officer. He told me there was as many accidents caused by falling asleep at the wheel as there was by drinking and driving.I strongly suspect that there are a lot of people who have begun to nod off at the wheel and not quite gone off for more that a second.

In the State of Washington they have little ripples in the asphalt along side some of the highways so that if you run over them they will make a noise and wake you up.

• Like 2

How do know the driver doze off ?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Good point. Perhaps this is a Thai way of mitigating (when a Thai does it) the incriminating possibility that he was awake and simply driving poorly, as the majority of them do.

Or, considering the lunatic methods and logic employed by investigators; maybe they said this because his body appeared to be in the sleeping position on the ground, aided by the fact that his eyes were closed.

What? No blood test before this (*#(%*$ reporter blurts out a story?

You can't fix stupid!

• Like 1

There's been a lot of accidents over the last 30 days involving boats, buses and taxis. Foreigners have been killed in almost all of them and the Thai authorities (police) have placed the blame on the Thai operators/owners in each accident. Why should a tourist have to pay an extra 500 Baht exit-tax to cover hospital bills for foreigners when the majority of accidents are caused by unscrupulous operators, poor oversight and weak safety enforcement? Thailand should clean up their travel industry instead of fleecing travelers!

Edited by Echo Tango
  • Like 1

Driving back from Malaysia, they could check the passports on the entry and check with the immigration on the time they entered and work out how far he had driven in the time of entry to the time of the accident and then come to a conclusion, I think.

It is pointing towards a probable doze off accident, like your watching the telly and your tired and all of a sudden you are in a sleep. RIP to the innocent ones.

It is pure assumption the driver dozed off as there are no witnesses to the fact.

How do know the driver doze off ?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Good point. Perhaps this is a Thai way of mitigating (when a Thai does it) the incriminating possibility that he was awake and simply driving poorly, as the majority of them do.

Or, considering the lunatic methods and logic employed by investigators; maybe they said this because his body appeared to be in the sleeping position on the ground, aided by the fact that his eyes were closed.

What? No blood test before this (*#(%*$ reporter blurts out a story?

You can't fix stupid!

UNLESS the surviving passenger has stated that the deceased driver fell asleep, How can anyone say he did ??? the reporter Quoted what the police told him????? OR Like me 2 weeks ago on Highway 331-to Sattahip hit a 30cm pot hole(waterfilled) buckled my mag and mega puncture. Who is responsible for main highways that are disgusting in places.

Not saying it was the road, but it is as good as saying he was asleep.

Don't forget it said "according to OFFICERS" how many ????

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

With all due respect to the MOUTH that criticises the other guy to buy some new glasses and read the report correctly.

The 2 in the car were Mr Muttafan and Ms AYA, the person thrown from the car Ms IRA.

The report: Mr Muttafan and Ms IRA died latter in hospital, so Mr Mouth the person Thrown from the car Ms IRA was the other person who died, the other person in the car Ms AYA seems to be the survivor.

You can go in the kitchen and wipe the egg off your mouth. Ha Ha. Love people like you.

• Like 1

I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident in Canada. When I was in the hospital my room mate was a Royal Canadian Mou8nted Police Officer. He told me there was as many accidents caused by falling asleep at the wheel as there was by drinking and driving.I strongly suspect that there are a lot of people who have begun to nod off at the wheel and not quite gone off for more that a second.

In the State of Washington they have little ripples in the asphalt along side some of the highways so that if you run over them they will make a noise and wake you up.

In California they are half-dome reflectors called bop dots that really alert one to drifting out of a lane. Bikers refer to splitting lanes of slow moving traffic as riding the bop dots.

Edited by unanimosity