One dead, 14 injured, German arrested, following Jomtien Beach Road Crash

webfact

He had around 200km/h locals told me. On beach rd. !

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

In a Pajero??

Yes i DO believe that, look at the DAMAGE DONE !!! Jeeses Christ.......

I don't know what the vehicle speed is capable of reaching.

But 200 KPH 125 MPH for the Americans is imposable to reach on beach road.

If the prescription drugs came with a warning to not drive, then he could still find himself in a degree of bother. I am all for people having to pass driving and medical tests at a certain age. Some may argue that it is a violation of thier rights and they are segregated but it is for their safety and that of the community. I don't know how many collisions I have attended involving elderly citizens but it's a lot.

I have no transportation myself and use public transportation. I occasional get rides from western friends.

They are every bit as bad as a lot of the Thais. I keep my mouth shut but it is hard some times. I want to say what are you waiting for. They drive just like my wife's daughter and son in law.

No idea of space.need at least five feet on each side to pass a car double parked and no idea of how long they have before a car heading towards them when they want to turn on a road. For the most part wait way to long every once in a while go when they really have no safety margin what so ever. the oncoming traffic has to slow down for them.

The most annoying local trait is when they have an opening and instead of getting into the opening and accelerating, they ease out, stop, and impede the flow of traffic causing the other cars to stop and will not proceed even when they see traffic slowing down until they have managed to fully stop the entire flow of traffic. Then they pull out and drive. No wonder OJ took a nine iron to that guy's windshield.

Edited by unanimosity

If using any medicine that makes you drowsy is like drink driving

Yes, and there is no information yet released saying that any medication this driver was on was of that class of medication. Meaning, such speculation might as well be totally ignored.

• Like 2

If using any medicine that makes you drowsy is like drink driving

Yes, and there is no information yet released saying that any medication this driver was on was of that class of medication. Meaning, such speculation might as well be totally ignored. 

Looks like dangerous driving to me even if he was not on medicine

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I am all for people having to pass driving and medical tests at a certain age. Some may argue that it is a violation of thier rights and they are segregated but it is for their safety and that of the community. I don't know how many collisions I have attended involving elderly citizens but it's a lot.

I agree totally - I sent my son to assist his 86 year old g-ma to take her driving test at a local DPS office in the USA. I was sure she would not pass and was trying to provide her dignity of letting the DPS inform her.

I was totally blown away when they issued her license. BTW - her eye doctor said she is considered blind as she can only see fuzzy shadows. How the heck can they allow people to drive on the roads without periodically testing them.

My drivers’ license has an expiration date and I must go through a few tests to get it renewed (??) Hmmmmm

To know the inadequacies of a country like USA and then try to compare them to the total failures in systems such as Thailand just cannot be compared.

He was assaulted by others involved. 72 year old man. OK emotions high, but assaulting him. Come on....

Agreed. But they probably (and understandably) thought he was drunk. Can you imagine how you would might behave if a drunk driver smashed into you and your friends, killed at least one person, and wreaked that kind of destruction? You might want to throttle him too, especially if he is uncommunicative etc. Even the police suspected he was drunk until tests showed that was not the case.... [it shouldn't happen, but it's not so surprising that it did].

Thinking someone is drunk doesn't justify dishing out your own punishment on the spot. A few years ago we got called to an injury collision, a vehicle had collided with 2 parked vehicles before mounting the footpath and striking an eight yr old girl on her bike. The young girl suffered a broken leg. When we arrived there were two guys jumping on the roof of his vehicle and two other bogans had dragged the driver out of the vehicle and proceeded to give him a kicking as he lay on the ground. Their reason was he was pissed and speaking jibberish, unco operative with them.

The young girl was taken to hospital, the four guys were charged with assaults, criminal damage and affray, all received prison sentences ranging from 1 month to 6 months. The driver of the vehicle wasn't charged with any offence. The cause of the accident was that he was a diabetic and had lapsed into a hypo.

• Like 1

He was assaulted by others involved. 72 year old man. OK emotions high, but assaulting him. Come on....

Agreed. But they probably (and understandably) thought he was drunk. Can you imagine how you would might behave if a drunk driver smashed into you and your friends, killed at least one person, and wreaked that kind of destruction? You might want to throttle him too, especially if he is uncommunicative etc. Even the police suspected he was drunk until tests showed that was not the case.... [it shouldn't happen, but it's not so surprising that it did].

And this is why some thaidrivers run away.Not drunk, just scared to get killed.

• Like 1

Maybe all the victims will be forced to sign a blank piece of paper which will result in the accident being the fault of no one. Oh. He was not Thai. Won't happen.

It appears he wanted to drive like a Thai, the only things missing are alcohol and fleeing

Are these replies really relevant?

Sounds like an unfortunate accident caused by a medical condition.

Funny that... when it's a Thai minivan driver, the "Thais are awful drivers" brigade comes out in force, yet here, this guy who killed one and injured 14 is himself the victim of an "unfortunate accident."

Nothing to do with his nationality. The fact that he is 72 and on medication makes it likely he had a stroke or seizure of some kind. You get that with old people. When a 30 y.o. Thai driver wraps his mini van around a tree it's less likely to be health related and more likely to be narcotics and speed. Passport has nothing to do with it.

I kind of feel sorry for the man. ACCIDENTS do happen....he hadnt been drinking but he might have had a prescription drug or two....hopefully not. But being in a foreign country especially Thailand certainly doesnt help matters and there will be no sympathy for him due to being a ferang.

A terrible event. A speedy recovery to those injured and condolence to the family and friends of the deceased.

I am sure the police will get to the bottom of the reason for the accident. 72 is hardly to old for driving under

normal circumstance. The medical condition and drug treatment may be a reason for not driving.

If the prescription drugs came with a warning to not drive, then he could still find himself in a degree of bother. I am all for people having to pass driving and medical tests at a certain age. Some may argue that it is a violation of thier rights and they are segregated but it is for their safety and that of the community. I don't know how many collisions I have attended involving elderly citizens but it's a lot.

Sorry, I clicked 'like' in error, meant to hit the 'quote' button.

If you don't know how many collisions you have attended involving elderly citizens how do you know it's a lot?

Age / Gender / Race make no difference to Thai, they probably picked up the nearest stone or stone to assist as well!

Maybe all the victims will be forced to sign a blank piece of paper which will result in the accident being the fault of no one. Oh. He was not Thai. Won't happen.

It appears he wanted to drive like a Thai, the only things missing are alcohol and fleeing

Are these replies really relevant?

As relevant as yours.

Amazing the guy driving the ferry seems to have gotten off while high & drunk. A elderly man who knows might have hit the gas as opposed to the brake (accident) gets beaten up by a mob and who knows how much time he will be in jail.

equal justice...fail

• Like 1

72 isn't so old for driving these days.....

Likely the effects of the medication or response to some road rage occurrence.

It is normally hard to get up enough speed to do too much damage there.

It's not the years, It's whats between the ears, if one is a drinker, druggie, or uses meds for a condition, being behind the wheel of anything should be a no, no, lets include these idiots on the phone or text-ing, there are so many uncaring, shitfaced people out there endangering the lives of the few remaining humans that just want to get from point A to point B safely, The bad drivers t aren't hard to spot flicking their lit toxic butt cigarettes out on the road, going into the storm drains into waterways, killing water life, contaminating the water, on the phone, sucking on a brew, not in the now, out there somewhere in space...

Not enough police enforcing road rules, not enough sobriety checks...

Hey could be wrong, been driving Thailand's roads for 13 years, seen way to many accidents and the causes...

• Like 1

I know you said that you don't know how many collisions you've attended but let's imagine you did know; do you think that 'a lot' of those involved young and middle aged people or are you laying blame for the majority of road accidents on elderly people?

And many retiree's are better behaved that the their younger compatriots.coffee1.gif

Prescription drugs.

• Were they prescribed by someone medically qualified to write such a prescription?
  • Did the prescriber advise of the adverse effects of of the medication and advise not to drive,etc?
  • Did the dispensing pharmacist advise of the adverse effects of of the medication and advise not to drive,etc?
Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of removed

I've lived through the "taking away the parents car" scene. They were simply incapable of driving it safely any longer. And at age 82 it wasn't getting better.

I don't condone if they beat this guy up though. It's one thing if a guy has tied one on or taken party drugs. WHile still legally liable for prescription meds they aren't a party scene and he just may have thought he was OK to drive.

He may just have thought he was ok to drive not speed the idiot maybe there was someone else in the jeep with him, I had a woman once who proceeded to punch me and pulled my shirt almost over my head and open the door in trafiic before I could bring the vehicle to a halt

He had around 200km/h locals told me. On beach rd. !

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Hate to say that, but what ' locals' told you is impossible. Freaking hearsay...was he doing 200 km on the right side?

You can't speed up to 200 km/h on that road, as there're always many vehicles, etc.... Maybe in a Lamborghini, driven by a monk, with Buddha's protection.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2