One dead, 14 injured, German arrested, following Jomtien Beach Road Crash

webfact

1 dead, 14 injured, German arrested, following Jomtien Beach Road Crash

german-11.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 72 Year Old German man was arrested following a serious road crash which occurred on Jomtien Beach Road on Friday Night which left 1 dead, 14 injured and 13 vehicles damaged.

The crash occurred in front of the Somprasong Plaza on Jomtien Beach Road just after 8pm and led to the arrest of Mr. Juergen Heinze aged 72.

He had been assaulted by others involved in the crash and was in a dazed state. The suspect was subjected to a breathalyzer test but it came back negative for alcohol in his system.

Inside his damaged Mitsubishi Pajero prescription medication was found which led Police to believe he may have become impaired due to the drugs.

Witnesses saw the car being driven at speed and erratically and after hitting 10 parked motorbikes it then hit two other cars and a Baht Bus full of Thai and foreign customers.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/108437/1-dead-14-injured-german-arrested-jomtien-beach-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-11-09

If the prescription drugs came with a warning to not drive, then he could still find himself in a degree of bother. I am all for people having to pass driving and medical tests at a certain age. Some may argue that it is a violation of thier rights and they are segregated but it is for their safety and that of the community. I don't know how many collisions I have attended involving elderly citizens but it's a lot.

I've lived through the "taking away the parents car" scene. They were simply incapable of driving it safely any longer. And at age 82 it wasn't getting better.

I don't condone if they beat this guy up though. It's one thing if a guy has tied one on or taken party drugs. WHile still legally liable for prescription meds they aren't a party scene and he just may have thought he was OK to drive.

• Like 2

72 isn't so old for driving these days.....

Likely the effects of the medication or response to some road rage occurrence.

It is normally hard to get up enough speed to do too much damage there.

Given the choice of being a passenger with some 72 year old driving at night on medication or my Thai driver who is in his mid-thirties and who refuses to drink anything stronger than green tea when he's going to be driving, I know which one I'd opt for.

Likely the effects of the medication

Hardly different from saying "likely the effects of being drunk." Being incapacitated by prescription drugs is not less dangerous than if he had been drinking whisky. The damage caused is the same.

• Like 1

He had around 200km/h locals told me. On beach rd. !

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

In a Pajero??

Lets says 180km

Its 3.5L V6

It can do 200km h..

Especially the new ones turbo disels sport..

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Edited by mataleo

Unlike Somsak he did NOT flee the scene - cancel visa as he does not know how to behave …… and prior to exportation ensure he pays for everything plus some "service fees".

No, in all fairness, wait for the medical report which might explain the situation first and my apologies go out to all those hurt, injured and those who lost a loved one.

Why do YOU apologize? Nonsense.

If the prescription drugs came with a warning to not drive, then he could still find himself in a degree of bother. I am all for people having to pass driving and medical tests at a certain age. Some may argue that it is a violation of thier rights and they are segregated but it is for their safety and that of the community. I don't know how many collisions I have attended involving elderly citizens but it's a lot.

Not at that age. He is just a whipper snapper. My mom drives at 90...now thats scarey. But fair is fair, she passes all the qualifications.

I have an old Thai driving license that is valid for life but I do think it is wrong to have one at my age. So I don't drive anymore and I employ a driver. I think everyone should take a new test at 70 like in Australia. Fortunately in Thailand driving licenses are now valid for only five years but I guess quite a few elderly people still have life time licenses and there is not much that can be done to stop them them driving.

He was assaulted by others involved. 72 year old man. OK emotions high, but assaulting him. Come on....

Agreed. But they probably (and understandably) thought he was drunk. Can you imagine how you would might behave if a drunk driver smashed into you and your friends, killed at least one person, and wreaked that kind of destruction? You might want to throttle him too, especially if he is uncommunicative etc. Even the police suspected he was drunk until tests showed that was not the case.... [it shouldn't happen, but it's not so surprising that it did].

Bottom line, his actions resulted in loss of an innocent life. If medications were to blame it really doesn't makes the situation any better for the ones who suffered loss or injury. He should have been aware of the potential of driving with the combination of condition and medications could be. Maybe not? But still he is culpable and his actions can't be rationalized and my opinion. Take a look at the pictures, massive force in the collision, coil springs ripped from the chassis, not the normal fender bender-the vehicle was completely out of control. Great flu, there were not more deaths.

People have to be willing to accept responsibilities for their actions instead of rationalizing a away to justify one's poor judgement. It would not work back home in our countries and it should not work here.

I hope, he never gets behind another steering wheel ever.

If using any medicine that makes you drowsy is like drink driving

As for beating him up

He has just killed 2 incident people

I hope he gets life in jail or death

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I have no transportation myself and use public transportation. I occasional get rides from western friends.

They are every bit as bad as a lot of the Thais. I keep my mouth shut but it is hard some times. I want to say what are you waiting for. They drive just like my wife's daughter and son in law.

No idea of space.need at least five feet on each side to pass a car double parked and no idea of how long they have before a car heading towards them when they want to turn on a road. For the most part wait way to long every once in a while go when they really have no safety margin what so ever. the oncoming traffic has to slow down for them.