Herring Haring

bubblegum

^^ Just between you and me ... I have and, to this day, 20 years later, have a great fondness for the Dutch.

My best mate for a long time was Dutch ... ditto a lovely lassie from Utrecht.

Geese ... how I miss living in Europe sometimes.

But we digress ... herring .. umm ... enjoy by yourself.

Hey, So Scandinavians are out sad.png

If you are Finnish or Danish... I have a soft spot for you.

I have a very fond memory of both places ... especially Turku ... wub.png

Declare your allegiance now ... biggrin.png

Wow! I am from Turku. I understand what you mean. The girls are pretty and if you are a foreigner.. well let's say in this way: Next time I'll visit the city nightlife, I'll be faking I'm not a Finn. :)

Wow! I am from Turku. I understand what you mean. The girls are pretty and if you are a foreigner.. well let's say in this way: Next time I'll visit the city nightlife, I'll be faking I'm not a Finn. smile.png

Turku, Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo.

Pretend you are Scottish, David wink.png

In Turku do not pretend your a Turk. wink.png

@poorsucker: Slow down a bit. It's far more enjoyable to see the facts to sink in bit by bit to the audience. Eventually they will learn. tongue.png

That been said, the smoked and salted herring is the only way to enjoy this durian of the northern countries.

^^ Just between you and me ... I have and, to this day, 20 years later, have a great fondness for the Dutch.

Oh, don't even talk about geese, or ladies from Utrecht. We must live in a parallel universe!

To keep it on topic, herring from the Dutch outdoor stalls a la Thailand but with natural refrigeration (in other words bloody parky)

Tried salted herring once, because somebody told me it was a good hangover cure. Don't wanna repeat the experience. True in Holland they're selling it from outdoor stalls. Eating it, you're supposed to grab the herring by the tail and tilt your head backwards. I almost ended up vomiting upwards.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

Oh, don't even talk about geese, or ladies from Utrecht. We must live in a parallel universe!

To keep it on topic, herring from the Dutch outdoor stalls a la Thailand but with natural refrigeration (in other words bloody parky)

Sometimes, it's a very small world.

The most beautiful Lassie I dated was Dutch and yes ... she studied at Utrecht.

I remember the place for a number of reasons ... it was the place where the trains seem to merge.

We tired for 10 mins with her cycling and me riding pillion .. gave up on that.

The Bakery there ... licklips.gif

... and this is a true story ... the first night, she was so shy (and good looking) she made me sleep in the (carpeted) stairwell. Then, in the morning, seeing my poor shivering soul ... brewed me coffee and then kept me warm in her special way. Maybe the night outside in the stairwell was a test.

Went up north to AusFriesland to meet her Dad ... heck of a nice bloke. Plus the only time I've ever seen snow on the beach!

Memories ... happy.png

Hey, So Scandinavians are out sad.png

If you are Finnish or Danish... I have a soft spot for you.

I have a very fond memory of both places ... especially Turku ... wub.png

Declare your allegiance now ... biggrin.png

Wow! I am from Turku. I understand what you mean. The girls are pretty and if you are a foreigner.. well let's say in this way: Next time I'll visit the city nightlife, I'll be faking I'm not a Finn. smile.png

Yes, she was a student there (Turku), but her Mum lived in Haapajärvi ... where I had my first ever White Christmas.

Being an Aussie ... I'd never seen snow before ... quite the experience that was.

post-104736-0-01181300-1384048321_thumb.

Midday -27 ... Midnight -27 ... same same

But that were having a cold snap up at Haapajärvi ... it was -12 when we left ... but the winds turned and it was -43 and her Mum was worried about the pipes freezing!

The desire to reminisce. Any Swedes out there ... that's another story ... biggrin.png

But I digress ... apologies to the OP.

I am the Red Herring ... facepalm.gif

Tried salted herring once, because somebody told me it was a good hangover cure. Don't wanna repeat the experience. True in Holland they're selling it from outdoor stalls. Eating it, you're supposed to grab the herring by the tail and tilt your head backwards. I almost ended up vomiting upwards.

I was working in Vlaardingen and went to the Festival of the Herring.

What a day that was.facepalm.gif

• 4 months later...