ACL operation in Thailand - much more expensive than back home?

MrHammer

I might need an ACL operation, but I am stumped at the cost at Samitivej and Bumrungrad. Both want close to 300.000 baht, while a similar operation back in Scandinavia will only cost 100.000 baht on a private hospital?

This makes no sense to me at all. Scandinavia is the most expensive region in the world, so how can an operation in Thailand cost 3 times as much?

Samitivej and Bumrungrad are at the top end, price-wise, for Thailand.

But what I cannot fathom is how ACL reconstruction could cost only USD3,300 in a private hospital in Scandinavia. Are you sure of that cost and that it is all inclusive?

But what I cannot fathom is how ACL reconstruction could cost only USD3,300 in a private hospital in Scandinavia. Are you sure of that cost and that it is all inclusive?

No, it is a bit more around 5000 USD, it seems there is some difference between meniscus tear and acl tear. ACL reconstruction is only 5000 USD: http://www.molholm.dk/page749.aspx, click on 'Priser' - prices.

So yes, the prices in Thailand and the US are over the top, particularly the US, where it is outright robbery and gangster methods through government corruption.

My guess is that the reason it is cheaper in Scandinavia is that they probably refuse difficult cases and also send failed operations on to the public sector. But still, something seems off with the price her in Thailand. My guess is that these prices are generally quoted to insurance agencies and therefore vastly inflated. Few Thais likely pay 300.000 cash in a hospital.

No, it is a bit more around 5000 USD, it seems there is some difference between meniscus tear and acl tear. ACL reconstruction is only 5000 USD: http://www.molholm.dk/page749.aspx, click on 'Priser' - prices.

So yes, the prices in Thailand and the US are over the top, particularly the US, where it is outright robbery and gangster methods through government corruption.

My guess is that the reason it is cheaper in Scandinavia is that they probably refuse difficult cases and also send failed operations on to the public sector. But still, something seems off with the price her in Thailand. My guess is that these prices are generally quoted to insurance agencies and therefore vastly inflated. Few Thais likely pay 300.000 cash in a hospital.

To be far, you are going by the most expensive hospitals in Thailand. I'm not sure I would use their quote as "the price in Thailand". If you priced it at say a military hospital it would certainly be under 100,000.

BTW the Bumrungrad site puts the median cost at 274,000. I.e. half the patients end up paying less than that, half more.

Is the Op having the ACL repaired or replaced? hamstring graft, cadaver or patellar? Is there also a meniscus repair ? I ask because as I have had my ACL replaced with an additional meniscus repair. Hamstring grafted new ACL to patellar plate. Was very painful and long recovery. Nowadays I'm told it's all done arthroscopic. So presumably cheaper now? Just some pointless questions I'm sure but helps to know answers yes?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Is the Op having the ACL repaired or replaced? hamstring graft, cadaver or patellar? Is there also a meniscus repair ? I ask because as I have had my ACL replaced with an additional meniscus repair. Hamstring grafted new ACL to patellar plate. Was very painful and long recovery. Nowadays I'm told it's all done arthroscopic. So presumably cheaper now? Just some pointless questions I'm sure but helps to know answers yes?

Perhaps before coming here a review of the knees anatomy would have helped !

An ACL never, even when replaced, connected to the "patellar plate" !

Arthroscopic surgery has many advantages but "cheapness" is not one.

Perhaps before coming here a review of the knees anatomy would have helped !

An ACL never, even when replaced, connected to the "patellar plate" !

Arthroscopic surgery has many advantages but "cheapness" is not one.

Well excuse me mr smarty pants. Mine was over 15 years ago and I'm no doctor. Are you?

Anyway. Whatever it is, it was attached out though the lower front part of my knee after looping around a pin in the upper part of my knee. Long recovery.

If one want's garranteed accurate info on medical issues, one might look elsewhere than TV? One would think!? Or not.

Either case. Hope the OP has a speedy procedure and speedier recovery.

Just to be helpful !

A Pic of the knees normal anatomy

Posted Image

And an ACL repair

Posted Image

See! Now that must have been what I was referring too. Something about the patella. I think my choices must have been about graft sources then. If memory serves. It was Patella, hamstring or cadaver. I went with the ham and have had no probs.

It will be noted the Patella is not involved although part of the Patella tendon may be excised and used as a ACL graft.