How would you plan for an 8 day holiday in bangkok?

ultimate weapon

I understand that the city an angels is rather huge and that traffic is congested so have decided to stay in 2 different hotels located in 2 different regions of the city to cut down on travelling time.

I plan to stay near the river and visit whatever is near the river like the boat rides, jim thompson house and maybe visit the downtown central shopping area or maybe the floating market.

I then will stay in a hotel slightly north eastern upwards but still near the central region of sukhumvit so i can probably visit the german brewery. I won't be visiting the red light districts so soi cowboy is out for me. Don't mind going clubbing but more on unique places of interest in the city.

Don't mind visiting the various temples if they differ in appearance, museums, interesting places and so on or am i expected to find more interesting things in the shopping malls. How are their malls like? Is central world any different from the malls in other countries? What about platinum mall?

Don't mind purchasing clothes and especially blu ray movie discs if they can be bought cheaply.

The malls are all the same, especially the ones with a "name", eg "Central World"and the likes.

Old Siam is a little more unique, but in the end it's...shopping malls.lom or the newly opened (renovated)

Question is: have you been to Bangkok before?

If not, you can do the "usual" tourist stuff- no harm done: Wat Po, Grand Palace, the Marble temple, Golden Mountain...

For hotels: it of course depends on your budget.

Cheaper ones , in the riverside area would be Glow Trinity (Chong Nonsi), Furama Silom or the newly opened (renovated) Mandarin.

For upmarket, look for Anantara Riverside, Hilton or (if you like it top-notch) The Siam.

Sukhumvit is not really my area, but I can recommend 5Points by Shearton at Soi 15.

For nightclubs: Saxophone (Victory Monument), Apoteka (Soi 11) or the great "Maggie Choo's" in the basement of the Novotel Fenix Silom.

I'd remain in the aircon comfort of my hotels; Bangkok is hot, crowded, noisy and polluted. Food is filthy, the water undrinkable. Some areas are full of foreigners, others bustling with Thais, neither group is culturally interesting. Travelling any distance involves either arguing with a taxi driver or sweating like a pig - best avoided.

You could sample a massage in your hotel but beware any offers of 'extras', they will inevitably lead to incurable diseases.

Enjoy your stay.

• Like 2

Same same but different I think is the best way to describe the malls here.. Central World is probably the youngest of the lot... Not worth venturing into as a tourist, as a good chunk of it is under renovations, although some cool designers are sprouting up...

Siam Paragon or Emporium for your hi end stuff and eats if you're hungry, Four Seasons Duck if you're after some awesome Peking duck...

Siam Kempenski would be the best hotel to be able to experience this without having to fluff around with taxis and what not... It's not the best mind you, it's up there, but not the best.

As for suggestions of Anantara or Hilton, have a rethink, they're mediocre at best.

The Siam is up there as are The Oriental, I'd suggest a meal there, their Italian outlet Ciao is perfect for everything- except thai food - but you can get that at Verandah... Great views.. Relaxed atmosphere, handy to the river :P

Peninsula is also a possibility as is Shangri-La, if you're into brunch and ballroom dancing you can get your fix there on Sundays ;)

Four Seasons, personal favorite, can't beat for location for most things. Food, drink, rooms, 'nuff said...

But if you're not after luxury digs, the Renaissance at Ratchraphrasong is a good choice, quite like it for something a bit different or Hotel Muse on Langsuang...

Sukhumvit area, 4 Points - not 5 - is decent enough, as is aloft, both Starwood properties that serve a market segment.. Also the Sheraton Grande is another option, a bit more high end.

Nightlife... Steering clear of the usual, Maggie Choo's also gets a tick, Fala Bella on Rajadamri (if you want a HiSo Thai experience without having to go to far if you're staying around that area)

Then again, budget's always a helpful indicator...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'd remain in the aircon comfort of my hotels; Bangkok is hot, crowded, noisy and polluted. Food is filthy, the water undrinkable. Some areas are full of foreigners, others bustling with Thais, neither group is culturally interesting. Travelling any distance involves either arguing with a taxi driver or sweating like a pig - best avoided.

You could sample a massage in your hotel but beware any offers of 'extras', they will inevitably lead to incurable diseases.

Enjoy your stay.

rolleyes.gif

Beware of room service....

Book a hotel close to a BTS station. Figure out what sights you want to see (search on this forum, or you tube "Bangkok tourist attractions") and go see them. I would also reserve a morning for walking around Lumpini Park (I love watching those huge Malaysian water monitors). Eat a bunch of local Thai food (outside of a hotel). Enjoy.

Pick a big, hot, crowded city in your home country and save the airfare and flight time.

On the other hand, if you want to come to Thailand, head off to one of the (non-red light) beaches, to Kanchanaburi, or to the middle of the mountains somewhere.

The malls are all the same, especially the ones with a "name", eg "Central World"and the likes.

Old Siam is a little more unique, but in the end it's...shopping malls.lom or the newly opened (renovated)

Question is: have you been to Bangkok before?

If not, you can do the "usual" tourist stuff- no harm done: Wat Po, Grand Palace, the Marble temple, Golden Mountain...

For hotels: it of course depends on your budget.

Cheaper ones , in the riverside area would be Glow Trinity (Chong Nonsi), Furama Silom or the newly opened (renovated) Mandarin.

For upmarket, look for Anantara Riverside, Hilton or (if you like it top-notch) The Siam.

Sukhumvit is not really my area, but I can recommend 5Points by Shearton at Soi 15.

For nightclubs: Saxophone (Victory Monument), Apoteka (Soi 11) or the great "Maggie Choo's" in the basement of the Novotel Fenix Silom.

Can recommend Check Inn 99 on Sukhumvit between Soi 5 and 7.

Can't beat them for food and music and no 'pushy' ladies

• Like 1

Most people travel to Bangkok to take in the sights of the city this includes the good and the bad in my opinion this is the attraction of Bangkok (even the red light districts, by the way some of the best live music is played late on at the entrance to Soi Cowboy)

No need to stay in two different hotels, plenty of transport available no matter your location river boat, taxi, MRT, underground, tuk tuk....... find a hotel you like the look of and book it.

Take on some of the info provided by posters but please please go out and find your own Bangkok, do not rely 100% on other peoples experiences.

Go and enjoy on your return to your home country tell your stories to family and friends

After the third day i would get out of BKK

Why?

Where do you recommend the poster go?

There are loads of places / things to do in Bangkok or rent a taxi for the day, go see some of the sights just outside of Bangkok.

Makes me laugh when people say don't hang around in Bangkok (there is loads to see you just need to make the effort, get off ya a**)

The title of the post gives it away 8 day holiday in Bangkok.

• Like 1

If you're coming now I would recommend full armored vest, light arms (Glocks are nice), throwing stars/knives and full ninja suit with appropriate skill set for moving undetected. Also would recommend a T-Shirt with an instantly altering saying that can be switched between: "No Amnisty! Not Now! Not Ever!" and "Amnisty For All!" in appropriate yellow and red lettering if you DO get caught.

Otherwise, I hear Dubai is nice and has great wifi. rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

Book a hotel close to a BTS station. Figure out what sights you want to see (search on this forum, or you tube "Bangkok tourist attractions") and go see them. I would also reserve a morning for walking around Lumpini Park (I love watching those huge Malaysian water monitors). Eat a bunch of local Thai food (outside of a hotel). Enjoy.

..or MRT station and change Lumphini to Chatuchak.

I can recommend a nice morning walk in/around Lumphini Park. I really enjoyed wandering around Lumphini Park. It is a nice place. A nice change of pace and change of scene from all the frantic hustle and bustle of the city. Has some nice flower gardens, walkways, and a couple of ponds with paddle-boats for rent. Would be a nice place to do a picnic lunch also. Easy to get to by taking the MRT (Underground Rail System) to MRT Silom Station and go out Exit 1, or you can use the BTS to Sala Daeng Station.

post-152848-0-34062500-1383459586_thumb. post-152848-0-47159400-1383459654_thumb. post-152848-0-78764400-1383459748_thumb.

post-152848-0-27689700-1383459846_thumb. post-152848-0-80179400-1383460609_thumb.

• Like 1

Another good stop, IMO, while you are in Bangkok is the Snake Farm and Museum of the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute of the Thai Red Cross. Part of the Institute specializes in the husbandry of venomous snakes, and the extraction, and research of snake venom. Also, the production of snake anti-venom for many species. The Snake Farm serves as an educational organization about snakes for the public, tourists, government and private organizations, schools and universities in order to understand snakes habits and to improve attitude on snakes.

They have a really well-made and well maintained museum with live snake displays and other educational exhibits on snakes. The displays have both Thai and English explanations. Very well done! There is an entrance on Rama 4 road not far from Lumphini Park. Google Map location for Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute - Snake Farm

Also, the Snake farm staff demonstrates venom extraction and snake handling for public on:

Monday – Friday (except extra holidays.)

11.00 AM Venom extraction.

2.30 PM Snake Handling and taking a picture with tame snake.

Weekends and extra holidays.

11.00 AM Snake Handling and taking a picture with tame snake.

If you want to see the Snake handling display, I would recommend grabbing a cola/ice tea/water, etc, and grab/claim the front seats at 2:00pm for a good rest break until the show starts. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

post-152848-0-27524200-1383463103_thumb. post-152848-0-74352000-1383463148_thumb. post-152848-0-28991000-1383463264_thumb. post-152848-0-12097000-1383464011_thumb. post-152848-0-08931300-1383463177_thumb. post-152848-0-21425500-1383463202_thumb. post-152848-0-00116500-1383463229_thumb.

• Like 1

First, I'm assuming that you have not been to BKK before based on your "I understand..." comment.

Tons of cynics and smart alecs aside, there are lots of things to do in BKK, especially if you are a city person. Suggest you buy a Lonely Planet guide as I found them to be quite accurate in their descriptions and ratings. They are limited in photos, however. Select things that are interesting and then plan your days accordingly by grouping activities that are located relatively close to each other.

You should consider taking a Bangkok City Tour, either 1/2 or 1 day, the day after you arrive. That way you can see many things on a superficial level and decide which ones are worth visiting again. Also, you don't have to think too much while you are still jet lagged. :-)

I've been in 26 countries so far, and I find the taxis in BKK to be among the best considering availability (there are many), price (cheap but insist on the meter), and cleanliness (usually clean). In eleven years, I've only had problems with taxis a couple of times - better than most places. BTS, MRT and river boats are all fine, too. Always negotiate a price before getting into a tuk-tuk.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned MBK on Sukhumvit and Chatuchak (Jatujak) Market for bargain hunting. Just keep your wallet secure. I've never had a problem, but they make announcements in Chatuchak about pick pockets.

Consider a boat day trip up the Chaopriya River to Ayuddhya if you enjoy ancient Khumer style ruins. Quite pleasant if the weather is cool and dry.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

Water, you need water in bottles and a towel!

Numerous parks and tourist-places to visit the first time very easy to go to.

Baiyoke tower, wat arun, dusit zoo, lumpini park, jj market, snakefarm, chinatown, MBK and other malls.

Try transports as mrt (subway), bts (skytrain), boats, tuktuks.

And some must-visit further away but still only one day trips to Damneon floating market, ancient city, Ayatthaya, flight of the gibbon adventure.

Evening you have thousands of restaurants and clubs/bars everywhere!

I'll add to others comments that it's not really necessary to have 2 hotels. Get a hotel near the BTS and you can get around relatively easy. Traffic is a nightmare, so best to use the BTS or MRT.

Trip Advisor has some good recommendations on what to do also. Easily to fill up 8 days. I personally loved the malls. Just wandering around, people watching, eating great food, seeing a movie. Great fun.

Try a visit to Khao San Road and the "human" zoo there. A day trip to Kanchanaburi would be nice. A boat trip like mentioned above to Ayuddhya would be great. If you want to see a floating market, head to:

http://www.amphawafloatingmarket.com/

This sounds like a fun day trip also:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/travel/escaping-to-bangkoks-green-lung.html?nl=travel&emc=edit_tl_20130615&_r=1&

http://www.biketourbangkok.com/bang_kra_jao_weekday.php

Someone mentioned Checkin 99. I hear they have jazz there also?

https://www.facebook.com/JazzOnSukhumvit

This is a good site for mass transit:

http://www.transitbangkok.com/

Try a night out on Thong Lor. Just start walking from Sukhumvit down the road and you'll pass all sorts of neat places. Quite a few are off the various connector roads also. Neat area, but not cheap.

Have fun!!

As soon as I arrived, I would immediately travel to a beach resort far from Bangkok.

Agree totally, 8 days in BK are too many when you have more interesting places in the country, beaches and mountains....and very close to BK if you do not want to travel more than 4 hours...

My friend came to Thailand for an 8 day trip,, 20 years later he hasn't left, Nana Hotel is the place to stay i hear, myself i came here for a 2 week vacation, only been here 7 years, can't wait to get out of this lousy place,, maybe next year,, still haven't seen the sights,, see the photos though, thank's everyone for the beautiful photos,,

I always wanted to send someone to the Pathumwan Princess hotel, and this seems an appropriate occasion.. It's joined onto MBK. Near the Skytrain and relatively handy to everything, in as much as anywhere in Bangkok can be. 8 days might be a bit long though.

• Like 1