How would you plan for an 8 day holiday in bangkok?

ultimate weapon

I'd remain in the aircon comfort of my hotels; Bangkok is hot, crowded, noisy and polluted. Food is filthy, the water undrinkable. Some areas are full of foreigners, others bustling with Thais, neither group is culturally interesting. Travelling any distance involves either arguing with a taxi driver or sweating like a pig - best avoided.

You could sample a massage in your hotel but beware any offers of 'extras', they will inevitably lead to incurable diseases.

Enjoy your stay.

I thought that too lol.

i just stayed at a very good riverside hotel near Sathorn and it was a very good location. We just got the boat everywhere we wanted, cheap, reliable and no traffic! If need be we just got of the boat and got a taxi which was not often really.

3.5 baht to get over to Sathorn Pier then say 40 baht each up to Wat Arun or get the free boat up to Asiatique or i think it was 150 baht for an all day boat taxi pass. A great way to get around without all the traffic really.

It's a much more pleasant way to get around, at least to areas you want to go to.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When staying by the riverside don't forget Grand Palace and Wat Po. A candlelight dinner cruise onboard an old Chinese junkie boat is also recommendable; or an outstanding dinner buffet at Oriental Hotel (both seems little up-price in Thai money, but when converted to a Western currency pretty cheap).

When staying up north near Sukhumvit, you can choose a hotel like Baiyoke, Bangkok's highest tower (309 m), and stay in the Space Zone, some 250-meter or more on top of Bangkok with an outstanding view. Good (huge) breakfast buffet and nice dinner restaurants on the top floors. You can check rates and book on the hotel's homepage; it is fairly affordable even in Space Zone.

Baiyoke is close to train station (100 meters, Airport line), from where you can ride 1 station and change to Skytrain and Underground. Near to the hotel, walking distance, you find the shopping malls. Closest are Pantip Plaza, where you can find all kind of electronics, blue ray movies etc.; and Platinum Mall with 1200 fashion shops. Further behind are the two major big shopping malls, Central World and Siam Paragon. The latter has Southeast Asia's biggest saltwater aquarium in the basement and a newly opened Madame Taussaud Vax Museum on top top floor (you do not mention where you come from). Dusit Zoo, as mentioned in another post, is a 100 baht Taximeter ride from the hotel (do not use tuk-tuk for that, they will overcharge something like double price).

An 8 day trip in Bkk is exactly what I'll be doing I the back of a few weeks in the south and a week on koh chang. I've done some of the regular stuff before but this is what I've got planned so far.

Suphanburi - wat pai rong wua

Ang thong - wat mueng

Wat saket

Wat bencha (marble temple)

Bangkok corrections museum

Nakhon pathom - buddhamonthon park

Ayuthya

Id like to hit at least 5 of the above and at least 1 hell garden.

Wake up, walk outside and do start doing stuff.

Get on random buses, repeat, see where you end up.

Get molested by a ladyboy because you know someone back home will ask.

Go see temples if you really want. Personally I think if you've seen a temple you've seen them all.

Universal mall and Union mall for clothes. Paragon for luxury stuff. If you're from the UK or US maybe skip it.

Maybe plan /book something for a couple of days so you know you've got something to do.

Please don't wear khakis, sandals and a poorly matched shirt, it' reinforces negative cultural stereotypes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't know about the boat passes and i have not visited the floating market before.

Do you think it's better to buy luxury items like clothes, handbags for ladies at the high end malls or just buy them bootleg from the roadside stalls. I know that thailand has a reputation of selling fake branded items and i don't think it's easy to tell them apart from the real stuff but are stuff over like say levi's jeans, armanis and you know the whole deal much cheaper compared to a western country, hk and singapore or around the same even with the weaker exchange rate.

The blu ray discs i think one definitely has to get. The original ones sold in stores are so expensive. I am sure one should be able to get at least 5 for what he pays in the west.

TBH i have been to bkk before that is why i started this thread so i have seen quite a bit of the attractions. Like wat phra khel, wat arun, boat ride on chao phraya. Seen central mall, been to rca and hollywood clubs and a few high end sukhumvit clubs. Been to soi tanniya and patpong which is a stretch that sells all those fake goods. Seen the girlie shooting ping pong ball shows. I have also stayed alone in a hotel before and met a few friends on some days and i noticed i didn't really like to leave my hotel. I think it's cos it's quite a hassle taking the bts and then the mrt and you know if you don't speak thai it's hard to take a taxi and taxi scammers are everywhere. Changing BTS at asoke to the mrt requires a walk down a stretch of high way after you exited from the bts or the mrt. That sucks but what sucks even more is the crowd inside the mrt. I remember having to line up to get into the mrt and it wasn't better taking a taxi either cos you would be stuck in traffic.

I found out the jim thompson thing from trip advisor i never knew such a farang sounding name would be around and they don't have a thai translation for that? I have a few thai friends and even they don't know of such attractions despite living in bkk for years.

Edited by ultimate weapon

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't know about the boat passes and i have not visited the floating market before.

Do you think it's better to buy luxury items like clothes, handbags for ladies at the high end malls or just buy them bootleg from the roadside stalls. I know that thailand has a reputation of selling fake branded items and i don't think it's easy to tell them apart from the real stuff but are stuff over like say levi's jeans, armanis and you know the whole deal much cheaper compared to a western country, hk and singapore or around the same even with the weaker exchange rate.

The blu ray discs i think one definitely has to get. The original ones sold in stores are so expensive. I am sure one should be able to get at least 5 for what he pays in the west.

TBH i have been to bkk before that is why i started this thread so i have seen quite a bit of the attractions. Like wat phra khel, wat arun, boat ride on chao phraya. Seen central mall, been to rca and hollywood clubs and a few high end sukhumvit clubs. Been to soi tanniya and patpong which is a stretch that sells all those fake goods. Seen the girlie shooting ping pong ball shows. I have also stayed alone in a hotel before and met a few friends on some days and i noticed i didn't really like to leave my hotel. I think it's cos it's quite a hassle taking the bts and then the mrt and you know if you don't speak thai it's hard to take a taxi and taxi scammers are everywhere. Changing BTS at asoke to the mrt requires a walk down a stretch of high way after you exited from the bts or the mrt. That sucks but what sucks even more is the crowd inside the mrt. I remember having to line up to get into the mrt and it wasn't better taking a taxi either cos you would be stuck in traffic.

I found out the jim thompson thing from trip advisor i never knew such a farang sounding name would be around and they don't have a thai translation for that? I have a few thai friends and even they don't know of such attractions despite living in bkk for years.

You can get some good deals on clothes. The label, many times, is what makes the price high. With that being said, some knockoffs are just cheap stuff. Poor quality material and craftsmanship. I got a Northface backpack that lasted all of 2 months. But only paid 400B for it!

Be careful with the knockoff discs. The quality can be very poor, especially the sound. They just don't compare to the originals.

Ultimate Weapon I think your original post did not make it clear that you have visited Bangkok previously.

You need to remember that Bangkok is a city, from the sound of it you would be better off taking a holiday on one of the islands, or take your parents with you to Bangkok they will be able to hold your hand and take you shopping (apologies could not resist)

I've never experienced or even realized Bangkok was so intimidating, travelling around major cities means traffic and crowds (even lining up to get on the MRT) this is city life

Forget the Blu-Ray discs period. Not worth the hassle - unless that's your thing - to haggle and flick through sheets and sheets of titles that can be easily downloaded onto your laptop - even done in your hotel room (if you want to do it whilst you're on holiday) if you've got a decent connection speed and unlimited download - from the various websites on the interwebs.

As for buying luxury items in Thailand vs fake shit... Well that's up to you, do you want the real McCoy or do you want something that looks like the real MacCoy? If you know the McCoy from the MacCoy you can tell the difference, some of it's very subtle and some of it's down right wrong. As for being cheaper than Farangland, that depends on where in Farangland you come from. Some of it will be cheaper, some of it will be a little bit cheaper and some of it will be more expenisve. If you want the luxury items on the cheap, skip BKK and go to HKG. No tax on the good shit!

As a tourist here, you can get the 7% VAT refunded and generally the big malls have a "tourist discount scam scheme" where you get an additional 5-50% off as well... Central (CentralWorld) and Siam Paragon spring to mind...

I know I'll get flamed for this bit if you are into luxury good check out the King Power Duty Free mall that is downtown - kind if a HiSo tourist trap but fully air conditioned ;-)...

http://www.kingpower.com/storeDowntownLocation

FYI - bring your passport for entry and "duty free" shopping... Great lunch spot ;-)...

Also if you do buy any luxury items ask for the VAT refund paperwork and understand that the airport refund process at the airport is a two stop process - you must show items to the customs officer BEFORE you pass thru immigration... Then get your refund after immigration...

Edited by sfokevin