Yom River projects to go ahead, Plodprasop says

webfact

Yom River projects to go ahead, Plodprasop says
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The government will go ahead with projects on the Upper and Lower Yom rivers to prevent flooding in the northern region, Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi said.

"The government will build the Upper and Lower Yom river projects to reduce flooding in Sukhotai province. The government will also [take steps to] minimise the environmental impact from construction," he said.

Plodprasop was speaking at a public forum on the government's Bt350-billion water- and flood-management scheme, held in Sukhothai province yesterday.

The forum was attended by more than 1,300 people including local residents, authorities and private-sector representatives.

People living in Sukhothai, Phichit and Nakhon Sawan have long suffered from annual flooding. The government's water and flood project would resolve the problem in these areas, Plodprasop said.

As part of its mega-project, the government will build three projects in Sukhothai province to prevent flooding. These include the construction of defensive flood-protection measures for community and economically important areas covering 5 square kilometres in Sukhothai municipality. Water-retention areas along the Yom River will also be built to hold water for times of drought. The government expects to build these in Thung Khui Thong, Thung Wua Daeng and Thung Trakro.

Plodprasop said a facility was also planned to divert floodwater between the Yom and Nan rivers. A river-dredging project was planned, along with a water sluice gate to drain water in times of flood.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-12

People living in Sukhothai, Phichit and Nakhon Sawan have long suffered from annual flooding. The government's water and flood project would resolve the problem in these areas, Plodprasop said.

I hope this is effective, i hope that it is well planned and engineered, i hope that thai people are spared the annual ordeal of having to be rescued from their rooftops. I wish that someone else was in charge.

The Yom River Dam was part of the King's Flood Prevention Project designed by the Japanese organisation J.I.C.A. in 1982. It was part of the 3rd phase of the project which did not go ahead in 2006 due to the Coup. The 2011 floods were largely exacerbated because most of the monsoon rains fell in the area feeding the Yom River, had the dam been built in 2006 considerable flooding could have been avoided. I gave a presentation to some Government advisors and told them that the dam must go ahead as soon as possible. I am glad that after 30 years it is finally happening. Let us hope that there is not another coup or we will all be under water again.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648761-dam-planning-meets-fierce-resistance-yom-river/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/06/18/national/Yom-river-dam-will-devastate-the-area-NGO-30131847.html

It seems like there have been various efforts on the Yom River, from one, single mega-dam, to multiple smaller dams, since forever. Local resistance, since 1991, to the Yom River mega-dam in Kaeng Suea Ten, Song, Phrae is well documented.

Understand locals, who are most impacted, are generally against these projects.

I hope this is effective, i hope that it is well planned and engineered, i hope that thai people are spared the annual ordeal of having to be rescued from their rooftops. I wish that someone else was in charge.

The fact that you say " I wish someone else was in charge" implies that you DON'T have much confidence.