Typhoon Haiyan: Philippines declares state of calamity

webfact

It's really sad that it takes so long to get aid there. People need clean water every day. The USS George Washington carrier group is reported to be underway from Hong Kong, but by the time they recalled many of its 5,000 personnel from shore leave and got underway, and get into position it will be about 3 days which is some time Thursday by now.

A supply ship will get there first, but the carrier group will have the choppers and Ospreys to deliver the goods, and the carrier group will also have a lot of medical supplies and personnel. The carrier itself can produce about 400,000 US gallons of drinking water per day from seawater but they needed it "yesterday."

I can feel the desperation, and it makes me sick.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a Facebook message I just read:

"My fear has come,,, my mom passed away this morning after surviving from the typhoon..... I am sorry MOMMY for not being there with you during those times you needed me most.... I'm sorry,, I love you and I will see you in heaven... wait for me....."

Unfortunately, due to very few communication networks up and running it is very difficult to get word on what is happening in typhoon ravaged Letye. We've received one short phone call and one text message in 6 days. Cell phone charging is very difficult. I believe there are a few charging stations here and there. Would you believe they are charging people to charge their phones.

Facebook is proving to be our best source of information. Without Facebook we would have been totally in the dark. I have no idea of the circumstances of the death in the Facebook message above, but I fear this is going to be a common tragedy over the next few days and weeks due to the snail's pace at which aid is getting through to most areas.

A few upsetting reports were:

1. Charging double for jeepney and motorcycle rides.

2. Charging between 150 Php per liter for gasoline. (1 USD = 43 Php) That works out to USD $13.25 per US gallon or 105 baht per liter.

3. Charging ridiculous prices for candles.

Profiteering from people in extreme hardship is lower than low. Of course there are "state of calamity" laws to prevent this (a price freeze), but there's no police presence in most areas and this would be considered a minor concern at this time.

2 + million in need of food and water.

Have a look at the only medical center in Tacloban:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2013/11/14/ac-tacloban-hospital-typhoon-overflow.cnn.html

That $2 million the Chinese donated will go a long way then.

Have they increased it? I heard it was $100,000.... but really, we should be grateful for any and all donations. China and Philippines are not the greatest of friends right now. I'd call $2 million a very significant gesture.

Edited by tropo

it will be about 3 days which is some time Thursday by now.

It's Thursday already - it's there now?

Yes, it made it.

"Literally, the biggest sign of this rush to help may be Thursday’s arrival of the USS George Washington, an aircraft carrier teeming with 5,500 crew. It’s accompanied by seven more ships that, together, have 80 aircraft — including 21 helicopters — that can deliver supplies to hard-to-reach areas and conduct search-and-rescue missions for those still holding on six days after the epic storm.

But it’s not only the United States rushing to aid the Philippines.

The European Commission notes that Singaporean, Japanese, American and Philippines C-130 aircraft (in addition to U.S. Osprey planes) are rotating in and out of the airport in Tacloban, the city closest to the typhoon’s ground zero." Link

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2013/11/14/ac-tacloban-hospital-typhoon-overflow.cnn.html

Have they increased it? I heard it was $100,000.... but really, we should be grateful for any and all donations. China and Philippines are not the greatest of friends right now. I'd call $2 million a very significant gesture.

Touch of controversy re China's donation:

10m yuan ($1.6m; £1m) in relief goods plus $200,000 (£120,000) from government and Red Cross

By comparison UK's offering:

$32m (£20m) aid package, sending aircraft carrier, destroyer and large transport aircraft

That's the problem when you have a war of words with a neighbour. But it hardly paints China in a very magnanimous light or showing regional leadership.

• Like 1

10m yuan ($1.6m; £1m) in relief goods plus $200,000 (£120,000) from government and Red Cross

$32m (£20m) aid package, sending aircraft carrier, destroyer and large transport aircraft

That's the problem when you have a war of words with a neighbour. But it hardly paints China in a very magnanimous light or showing regional leadership.

Well, as an Aussie I should give them a shout out too then....

Australia has donated about $30 million so far. Pretty amazing from a country with a population of only 23 million.biggrin.png

I'm just happy that so many countries are donating.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Amongst some of the somewhat forgotten victims of this typhoon are the residents of the islands that make up the northern Palawan, around Coron. There an Anglo-Philippine organization is doing an amazing job bringing relief directly to those who have suffered and are still to see much official/government assistance. see below:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taophilippines-Expeditions/74026363044

They have already raised almost as much as the Chinese government's offer of $100,000!!

• Like 1

The typhoon cut a deadly swathe right across the Philippines from east to west. At present the aid effort is focused on Tacloban in the east which was hardest hit, but the trail of destruction and grief stretches right across the country taking in Leyte, Cebu, Panay and northern Palawan. Here's some coverage from central Leyte:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24947573

The typhoon cut a deadly swathe right across the Philippines from east to west. At present the aid effort is focused on Tacloban in the east which was hardest hit, but the trail of destruction and grief stretches right across the country taking in Leyte, Cebu, Panay and northern Palawan. Here's some coverage from central Leyte:

To be accurate, the path of destruction didn't hit Cebu City (people may think you're referring to the city when you mention Cebu), but the very northern tip of Cebu Island.

Lucky for that, because if this had hit Cebu City with a population of approximately 2.5 million the destruction could have been 10x what it is now.

There was a sign on that video Kananga 14, Ormoc City 37. I know that area - it's coming due south from the north coast of Leyte, heading toward Kananga on the main Tacloban - Ormoc City highway (well, they call it a national highway). Even on a good day you wouldn't think it's a national highway.

One photo I saw, shows devastation in the foreground, along the shore, ....then the hills in back are barren and covered in grass/trees. Seems to me, people who live by the ocean should build on higher ground. Leave the shore to nature, or if you have to, build bamboo and thatch temporary structures for restaurants, shops, etc.

In the bigger picture of things, there are simply waaaaaaay too many people all over, but that's a topic that authorities don't want to address with a ten foot pole - particularly not in a Catholic country.

In related news: the Holy See keeps banning condom-use and abortions.

The Scottish public have raised more money that China has donated.

They must really want those Spratly islands.

Finally the relief efforts are gaining some momentum. Corpse retrieval, identification and disposal is becoming organised. Areas are being cleared. Food and water is getting through. Evacuation is speeding up using beach landing naval ships.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/15/world/asia/typhoon-haiyan/index.html?hpt=wo_c1

The only 2 million figure I caught in your link is that 2 million Filipinos are in desperate and immediate need of food and water, as clearly indicated in the post you quote. I didn't catch anything at all about China in the linked report, nothing. If I missed something kindly let me know.

Below is a factual and immediately relevant report from an Australian newspaper which discusses the amount and nature of aid from Beijing to the Phils in this tragic and terrible personal and national calamity and catastrophe.

Any aid is welcome to be sure and every government and private organization that is donating is hard pressed to even come close to the nature and extent of the immense and massive aid and assistance needed.

I have plenty of Filipino colleagues and friends, both here and in the United States. I've sent a personal donation of money to the Phils Red Cross and have made myself available to my friends here from the Phils, helping mostly to try to contact their family, relatives, friends, but it's just chaos there and frantic here.

Frustrating and painful emotionally, psychologically.

Amazingly strong people, the Filipinos.

China boosts typhoon Haiyan aid donation to Philippines after initial sum raises eyebrows

China has increased its offer of aid to the typhoon-ravaged Philippines after an embarrassing outcry over its meagre $US100,000 initial donation - but the attention has already turned to the damage to its reputation, and doubts over its military capabilities, in the very region in which it is vying for influence with the US and Japan.

The initial response to the calamity, $US100,000 from the foreign ministry, matched by the government-controlled Chinese Red Cross Society, raised eyebrows in the region and stacked up poorly compared to contributions from Australia, Japan and the US - who have all stumped tens of millions in financial aid and on-the-ground assistance.

On Wednesday, China said it would provide 10 million yuan ($1.75 million) of relief supplies - in the form of tents and blankets - to communities devastated by typhoon Haiyan.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/china-boosts-typhoon-haiyan-aid-donation-to-philippines-after-initial-sum-raises-eyebrows-20131114-2xji1.html#ixzz2kmeFcxd7

Edited by Publicus