Passport as a deposit for a motorcycle

Well I don't really care what the British government says who my passport belongs to as it has my name on it do I shall do what u like with it

Basically the British government do not own me

So they cannot revoke my passport as I am a British citizen and have certificate to prove it

They cannot deport me as I cone from England

They cannot refuse me a passport because I am British and have no warrants on me

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<<They know that this is against the law, you do not need to prove it. They do it so that they can blackmail you to pay whatever they want.

Once they have your passport - you have to pay whatever to get it back. Whether you damage the bike or not. Why should you trust them?

Do not do it.

If you are on Samui there is a company where I can get you a rental bike with no passport - but it's in Choengmon. I will PM the company name to you if you want it. There are honest rental companies around. Just not everywhere.>>

I didn't do it and not going to. I left them my thai driving license because I needed a bike immediately and a driving license is not so valuable. Previously I left only a copy my passport, but it was in other parts of Thailand and I was renting a bike for 1 or a few days.

They might NOT know it's against the law because they might think that if other thai rentals hold the passports from foreigners then it's perfectly fine and legal. As I said, a friend of mine made a rental change their decision by showing them a printed version of the law and taking a baranga (kind of a lawyer) with him, but it happened in the Philippines. And they didn't know it was illegal. Do you think anyone in Thailand is aware it's illegal? I don't think so.

Yes, I'm in Samui, please PM them.

Edited by Maramook

So they cannot revoke my passport as I am a British citizen and have certificate to prove it

I got bad news for you buddy. The government can do what they like. The UK is hardly a bastion of freedom nowadays. 

Not while I am out here they cant

I got bad news for you buddy. The government can do what they like. The UK is hardly a bastion of freedom nowadays.

Not while I am out here they cant

Big C don't be delusional, they can cancel your passport in a blink of an eye, no matter where you are..

Well I don't really care what the British government says who my passport belongs to as it has my name on it do I shall do what u like with it

They cannot deport me as I cone from England

They cannot refuse me a passport because I am British and have no warrants on me

BigC, dream on ......

Try to burn your passport, or use one page to draw some funny pictures on it,

then show it to immigration in the UK. I am pretty sure, you wouldn't be able to

share your experience with us for a very long time.

Citizenship has nothing to do with your passport but your passport is "A" mean,

to prove your citizenship to other governments.

Off course, any government can revoke your passport!! If they please, they can

even take away your citizenship. (Check Thaksin, Snowden, etc)

iBritish government has removed UK citizenship from 21 people since 2002.

British nationals can be stripped of their citizenship, if the “Secretary of State

is satisfied that the person has done anything seriously prejudicial to the vital

interests of the United Kingdom or a British Overseas Territory”.

Generally, your own country will not extradite you to an other country but

maybe check out a few weeks back, British government extradited one of

their own subjects to stand trial in Thailand!!

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 2

Want security does the owner have if the renter wrecks the bike, replacement cost anything from 40-100K?...Thats why they ask for it.....photo copy is no use. When Thais rent bikes they always leave their ID cards.

Rent shop has to have insurance. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

...... Basically the British government do not own me ......

Well, that depends wink.png

What does it say in YOUR passport?

"British Citizen" or Subject to her Majesty the Queen"?

That really sais it all about who "owns" who giggle.gif

• Like 2

And who feels it OK to let YOU travel..................if YOU do not have permission to travel, then YOU do not travel, nothing to do with YOU..........rolleyes.gif

Perhaps BigC is a hi-so farang.............laugh.png

• Like 1

...... Basically the British government do not own me  ......

Well, that depends Posted Image 

That really sais it all about who "owns" who Posted Image

And who feels it OK to let YOU travel..................if YOU do not have permission to travel, then YOU do not travel, nothing to do with YOU..........Posted Image

Perhaps BigC is a hi-so farang.............Posted Image

My point is that I cannot be refused a passport on the grounds of me leaving it as a deposit

I am a UK citizen and have to outstanding warrants on me so I can go where ever I please

The government cannot do anything they like they just make you beeline they can

And who feels it OK to let YOU travel..................if YOU do not have permission to travel, then YOU do not travel, nothing to do with YOU..........rolleyes.gif

Perhaps BigC is a hi-so farang.............laugh.png

My point is that I cannot be refused a passport on the grounds of me leaving it as a deposit

I am a UK citizen and have to outstanding warrants on me so I can go where ever I please

The government cannot do anything they like they just make you beeline they can

Think you best write that again........thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Want security does the owner have if the renter wrecks the bike, replacement cost anything from 40-100K?...Thats why they ask for it.....photo copy is no use. When Thais rent bikes they always leave their ID cards.

Rent shop has to have insurance. Posted Image

And a max payout of 80%, still at a loss if Johnny Foreigner does a runner

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And I know of a few renters that still have their ID cards...but not the bike whistling.gif

• Like 2

And I know of a few renters that still have their ID cards...but not the bike whistling.gif

yep .... me too! .... There is little recourse for these renter guys who don't see their bikes again! Sometimes they are lucky to find at the ferry terminal...sad.png

And I know of a few renters that still have their ID cards...but not the bike  Posted Image

yep .... me too! .... There is little recourse for these renter guys who don't see their bikes again!  Sometimes they are lucky to find at the ferry terminal...Posted Image

I want to reply but I don't trust my spelling

• Like 2

...... Basically the British government do not own me  ......

Well, that depends Posted Image 

That really sais it all about who "owns" who Posted Image

And who feels it OK to let YOU travel..................if YOU do not have permission to travel, then YOU do not travel, nothing to do with YOU..........Posted Image

Perhaps BigC is a hi-so farang.............Posted Image

I have no outstanding warrants against me and and have a BS degree in law

So now extra Turkish delight is going ride away on my steam rap

Anyways they can have my passport cause I ain't leaving anyway

I am current loving the jungle swing through the trees I talk to animals and my wife is called jane

If I want to travel I call upon an elephant which is the sister of my wife

Anyway I am off to see the wizard

Proper buzzin )

• Like 1

Something tells me this thread is about played out, extinct & dead in the water.coffee1.gif

yep................sure is,just going in circles.one reply would have done..........."never leave your passport with anyone,hotel reception,hospital,bike rental etc etc.not exactly rocket science!

How about the police?

Something tells me this thread is about played out, extinct & dead in the water.coffee1.gif

yep................sure is,just going in circles.one reply would have done..........."never leave your passport with anyone,hotel reception,hospital,bike rental etc etc.not exactly rocket science!

How about the police?

Depends how much you owe them.................whistling.gif ................laugh.png

• Like 1

How about the police?

Why on earth would anyone want to give their passport to the police?

How about the police?

Why on earth would anyone want to give their passport to the police?

You get charged with a criminal offense?

Should or should not the police have the right to confiscate a passport if they suspect they will leave the Kingdom.

• Like 2

Whether or not it is a good idea we have a number of posts saying depositing ones passport as collateral is an offense on behalf of the passport holder. Uttertosh

According to this logic every time you apply for a visa and deposit your passport at the relevant embassy or consulate one is guilty of an offense.

• Like 2

Whether or not it is a good idea we have a number of posts saying depositing ones passport as collateral is an offense on behalf of the passport holder. Uttertosh

According to this logic every time you apply for a visa and deposit your passport at the relevant embassy or consulate one is guilty of an offense.

Am afraid you have quoted the one exception, plus they don't rent bikes.................laugh.png

More from the OP:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681124-holding-an-alien-passport-illegal-how-do-i-prove-it/

I'm guessing he's used his passport (had done so prior to posting), 'bent' a motorbike & is now looking for a top hat / white rabbit re getting it back.

no, my main man!

I asked the same question at russian thai forum and their guess was exactly the same as yours. But they also gave me a very useful link, however.

Edited by Maramook

Am afraid you have quoted the one exception, plus they don't rent bikes.................laugh.png

I have a colleague who travels basically everywhere just to say he did. This winter he has planned a ski holiday, to Iran!

Anyway the same guy took one of those tours to North korea with his wife. They were required to surrender passports to the tour operator for the duration of this crazy "holiday".

Was this too an offense? If there is rule of law there must be a relevant regulation to break in order for an offense to be committed. I am just trying to figure out exactly what statute or regulation this is

according to US federal code. It is their property. I must surrender it on demand. I may not alter, willfully mutilate, or use it to travel to a country where it's use is not valid. If the government requests my passport returned and Jaguar has it in their strongbox I would simply tell the US official where to go to collect their property.

USC Title 22 , part51.9 .Passport property of the U.S. Government. A passport shall at all times remain the property of the United States and shall be returned to the Government upon demand.

VerDate

Edited by arunsakda

More from the OP:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681124-holding-an-alien-passport-illegal-how-do-i-prove-it/

I'm guessing he's used his passport (had done so prior to posting), 'bent' a motorbike & is now looking for a top hat / white rabbit re getting it back.

no, my main man!

I asked the same question at russian thai forum and their guess was exactly the same as yours. But they also gave me a very useful link, however.

In that case please give this a try...

A Bout of Insanity - Blackadder - BBC - YouTube