Moving to the Rai

jdinasia

Hi,

I am in the final stages of contract negotiation prior to moving up there. As often is the case in Thailand it is a rushed move and will need to find housing and stuff quickly. I will see if they can help me out from the office but that will depend.

Work will be about 20 mins outside of town and I am thinking of staying in town. I am living in Nakhon Nayok now and am severely understimulated here :)

I am liking that at least some of the members enjoy the coffee culture and if I remember correctly you can get Glennfiddich just across the border for a fair price so an evening tipple will be nice up there too!

look forward to meeting some of you. If you have any advice on housing what I am looking for is a single level house near the city center.

10+ years in the country, and can read Thai fairly well .. so not a noob :) It took me 3 hours to find a place in Nakhon Nayok when I moved here from Chiang Mai.

If we can work out those final details on the contract this week, I will be up there next week to start work. In all my time in the country I have never lived more than a few minutes away from my office so this move will be a change for me but should be fine.

I am going to have to buy a new bike and probably a used car (Ugh). I have always hated driving in Thailand but I really enjoy being on a motorcycle.

I look forward to meeting you for coffee someday VF.

• Like 2

Welcome to Chiang Rai.

I remember moving to Chiang mai 10 years ago because it was such a pleasant, medium sized but relatively educated University town with all the amenities of a modern city. It didn't have the hordes of sex mongers that drew people to Pattaya & Sukhumvhit, and consequently a farang was still considered special and respectable. Over time the amenities of Chiang Mai became more well known and it has since become an traffic crowded zoo. In addition, a minority of farang find the abundance of relatively still naïve University girls an ego satisfying experience (They aren't "professionals", so I must be special). So, now a farang is only slightly more respected than he would be in Pattaya.

What's the point? The TV Chiang Mai forum was constantly bombarded with posters announcing their plans to move to Chiang Mai, and asking for help. Of course we all wanted to help and so offered advise. Now I'm not so sure we should not have kept our mouths shut smile.png. Anyway, now that I'm in Chiang Rai, I hope that it does not become a Chiang Mai repeat experience. Hopefully, it will attract fewer of the type that come here primarily for an ego satisfying sexual experience because the Universities are well out of town.

Good luck & welcome ref your move to Chiang Rai. Life is easy and satisfying here.

• Like 1

If the work will be at one of the Universities it may be worth taking into account that at peak hours traffic flow is very heavy to and from them. It may be worth looking for a house at least on that side of town.

Welcome to ChiangRai.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

10 -- of you arrived in CNX 10 years ago you were 10 years too late for Chiang Mai. I lived there for a few years and still think it is great and getting better.

Harry, thanks for the advice. If we can work out the contract I will be working in a director level position for a Thai company. Out near one of the Uni's at first and then in town by the end of 2014.

My friend I -- I have only ever bought the Glennfiddich there, and it certainly tastes real :) It has been a few years since I last went up there.

• Like 1