Old Soi Eric open again

xylophone

There are now about 10 bars open in what was the old Soi Eric and although it was fairly dimly lit, there were a few farangs venturing into the murky depths a couple of nights ago.

There were a few "new" (either new to the Soi or the business) bar owners in there, one being a Thai guy who had already purchased a bar in new Tiger, another Thai guy trying his hand for the first time, and a middle-aged farang with his Thai lady, who was a regular in the Soi in various bars for a few years!

I wish them luck, however with prices being set at 180 baht for a vodka and tonic in one bar, and a Bacardi and Coke at 160 baht in another, I think there may well be a "tipping point" reached before long, whereby folk will really not visit bars which charge like this, in addition to the lady drinks being 250 baht+ each.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the other bars are taken up, and also if the new bars in the old Tiger are taken. I think times are changing along with the demographics of the tourists, and only a very few folk will make any sort of money from owning a bar, whereas in the old days a decent living could be made from one.

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think LDs in Tiger were on the high side but at least there you get the vibe and the action. Can't think why I'd want to wander down a dimly lit Soi, that looked as dull as dishwater last week, and start dropping 250 on LDs

Many of the bars in Tiger are charging 120 baht for a beer, 200 baht for a lady drink and 1000 baht bar fine. Many of the girls working there are asking 2000 baht for their services.

Basically, more than double the price of Pattaya, for the same "party."

Edited by NamKangMan

I think LDs in Tiger were on the high side but at least there you get the vibe and the action. Can't think why I'd want to wander down a dimly lit Soi, that looked as dull as dishwater last week, and start dropping 250 on LDs

Many of the bars in Tiger are charging 120 baht for a beer, 200 baht for a lady drink and 1000 baht bar fine. Many of the girls working there are asking 2000 baht for their services.

Thank ...... I am married then!

Thank .... I am married then!

Doesn't that depend on how often, and how sick, the buffalo, and Mama, up north gets? smile.pngsmile.png

• Like 1

Doesn't that depend on how often, and how sick, the buffalo, and Mama, up north gets? smile.png:)

I already told em, I have a gun & will happily shoot the bugger!
  • Like 1

When introduced to the new Tiger bars, a friend from OZ was taken by the number of nice looking girls and was keen to take one. He was quoted 1000 baht bar fine, 3000 for a "long time" and was then asked to buy drinks for her, her mate and the boss.

He went ahead despite the cost............cheaper than the Gold Coast, he said!!

• Like 1

Doesn't that depend on how often, and how sick, the buffalo, and Mama, up north gets? smile.pngsmile.png

Provided that your gf/wife is up north, of course. Never had to support my gf's family. One advantage of having a BKK gf?

Cleaning out all the profanities ..

Forum rule 3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

And I remind members of this rule

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

Provided that your gf/wife is up north, of course. Never had to support my gf's family. One advantage of having a BKK gf?

Heard the expression tongue in cheek?

She is from the South as it goes..........

I'm pretty sure the only people making decent money are the landowners and the main lease holders that sublease out to the individual bars. Good business though in that the next year a whole wave of new punters comes in flush with cash ready to sign a 3 year lease with ridiculous key money demanded up front. Wash, rinse repeat. Next.................................................

Really? Well I expect to see many Russian, Chinese and Indian run bars on Bangla Road in the near future then. laugh.png

I can just see an Indian guy sitting up at his bar, eating a curry, while his new Thai girlfriend is behind the bar playing cashier and Indian tourists coming in and buying one can of coke and asking for five glasses. smile.pngsmile.png

Seriously, you are right about the landlords. They are the only ones making money, but they are also outpricing Phuket compared to other destinations in Thailand and neighbouring countries.

High rents, and rest rises, get passed onto the consumer. That dearer accommodation, food and beverage for the tourists.

Edited by NamKangMan

Bar fine inflation is out of control. It's the new "Amazing Thailand" I guess. I am pining for days of long ago when you really got some mileage out of your baht for pleasure budget.

And the baht was 44. I can dream , I guess.

The bar fines have gone up to cover the lack of "drinkers" on Bangla Road now.

In recent years, it was 300 baht, then went to 500 baht, and now it's 1000 baht in many bars.

Now it's at 1000 baht, look how well the nightclubs are going. They are packed, especially Taipan. Many going for freelancers now. 1000 baht fine is ridiculous.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1