Foreign minister Surapong insists Thailand's sovereignty remains intact

webfact

Foreign minister insists Thailand's sovereignty remains intact
By English News

13843074775073.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 13 – The Thai government will seek Parliament’s permission to discuss the Preah Vihear land dispute, ruled on Monday by the International Court of Justice (ICJ), with the Cambodian joint commission, according to Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

He said upon his return to Thailand from the Hague that the World Court’s verdict will be reported to Parliament after which a public referendum will be held as stipulated by the Constitution.

The government will ask for Parliament’s approval in raising the Preah Vihear temple issue in the Thai-Cambodian Joint Commission, he said.

Mr Surapong reaffirmed that Thailand did not lose its sovereignty over the 4.6 sq/km of land adjacent to the ancient Hindu temple and Phu Makheu (Phnom Trap in Cambodia).

The ICJ ruled that the promontory on which the Preah Vihear temple is located was part of Cambodia but did not address the issue of sovereignty over the adjacent land and Phu Makheu.

Mr Surapong said he will lead an official team to explain the issue to the Thai public after reporting it to Parliament.

Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapa said Thai military forces will remain on the Thai-Cambodian border until a clear resolution is reached between the two countries. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-13

PREAH VIHEAR
Win or lose not issue: Virachai

The Nation

30219475-01_big.jpg?1384318910388
Virachai Plasai

Virachai Plasai, Thai Ambassador to the Hague, arrived in Bangkok Wednesday.

He said he was ready for the testimony at Parliament later today.

He insisted that Thailand has not lost land, given that the International Court of Justice did not consider Cambodia’s requests on the 4.6-sqm disputed areas.

"I don’t want to say if we win or lose, as it’s not the issue. In any court case, if the plaintiff didn’t get what it wants, I am certain that the public know who wins or loses," he said.

After leaving Suvarnabhumi Airport, he went straight to the Government House. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra thanked him for the efforts put into the fighting.

"We believe that you have the best information... The ICJ’s ruling is positive to Thailand but there are some details which must be worked out," Yingluck said. She was also relieved that people along the border show supports.

To the prime minister, Virachai also thanked her for the government supports in terms of budget, personnel and moral supports.

"This is just one assignment given to government officials. There are many others working on unpublicised assignments. Indeed, the result of the case is not unfavourable and we can explain this," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-13

Ambassador Weerachai says he is not a hero

BANGKOK, 13 November 2013 (NNT) - H.E. Weerachai Palasai, theThai ambassador to the Netherlands, has returned from Hague along with the committee which helped in the defense in the Preah Vihear Temple case.

H.E. Weerachai gave a short statement saying that he would probably take a short rest first before heading to see Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to report on the details of the case.

According to the ambassador, he did not consider himself a hero, but merely a person fighting for his country. Those who claimed that Thailand lost the case, he said, were unconstructive in their criticisms; adding that the general public is more than capable of deciphering for themselves what it meant when the verdict stated that Cambodia did not receive what they had initially demanded.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-13 footer_n.gif

I am not sure I know the situation well but is it that the temple belongs to Cambodia and the court is deciding about the land around it? If that is true, I think Thailand has a lot more wealth than Cambodia and it would be a good friendly thing to give the land to Cambodia. May be Cambodia will like that and do something nice for Thailand later. With this ASEAN thing happening soon maybe having a country right next door that owes a favour will be a good thing and worth more than a little bit of land?

• Like 1

"Mr Surapong reaffirmed that Thailand did not lose its sovereignty over the 4.6 sq/km of land adjacent to the ancient Hindu temple and Phu Makheu (Phnom Trap in Cambodia)."

Da_n Farang World Court. How can they use justice and legalities to make us lose face?

I am not sure I know the situation well but is it that the temple belongs to Cambodia and the court is deciding about the land around it? If that is true, I think Thailand has a lot more wealth than Cambodia and it would be a good friendly thing to give the land to Cambodia. May be Cambodia will like that and do something nice for Thailand later. With this ASEAN thing happening soon maybe having a country right next door that owes a favour will be a good thing and worth more than a little bit of land?

Right. That's what Cambodia and Thailand are all about. Doing nice things for others.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Mr Surapong reaffirmed that Thailand did not lose its sovereignty over the 4.6 sq/km of land adjacent to the ancient Hindu temple and Phu Makheu (Phnom Trap in Cambodia).

So by virtue of the comments we can safely assume that Thailand still has possession of the temple can we?

"I don’t want to say if we win or lose, as it’s not the issue. In any court case, if the plaintiff didn’t get what it wants, I am certain that the public know who wins or loses," he said.

Indeed they do.The verdict went against Thailand, there is no grey area its a case of Thailand lost the case. regarding bringing the issue up at a joint Thai Cambodian Joint Commission why wasn't this done before approaching the I.C.J.?

I am pleased at least in this case that the government is taking a sensible tact.

They could have played it up to distract from the current domestric strife..... hmmm, perhaps I shouldn't give them ideas.

"I am pleased at least in this case that the government is taking a sensible .............tact."

My apologies for being pedantic here, but I think you may have meant " taking a sensible tack"

Tact, unfortunately, is an extremely rare commodity among the members of the present government.

" The Thai government will seek Parliaments permission to discuss the Preah Vihear land dispute, ruled on Monday by the International Court of Justice (ICJ), with the Cambodian joint commission"

What's to discuss? You lost. Withdraw your troops back into Thailand.

• Like 2

" The Thai government will seek Parliaments permission to discuss the Preah Vihear land dispute, ruled on Monday by the International Court of Justice (ICJ), with the Cambodian joint commission"

What's to discuss? You lost. Withdraw your troops back into Thailand.

Unfortunately what's to discuss is exactly what a promontory is and where the border will lay.. the ICJ has made it easier to decide but haven't actually detailed it to within 3 mtres via GPS for example. So there are still ongoing discussions to be had.. From my reading of it . It should be easier to achieve now and Cambodia will be able to legally access the site from verified Cambodian soil.

This buffoon must be reading a different judgement to the rest of the world. I read "Cambodian until the land rises on the far side of the valley", or similar. OK, I think even a grade schooler can tell up from down, and near from far. Perhaps they want to engage in a bit of boundary marker shifting? A night-time practice in most of Thailand?

This buffoon must be reading a different judgement to the rest of the world. I read "Cambodian until the land rises on the far side of the valley", or similar. OK, I think even a grade schooler can tell up from down, and near from far. Perhaps they want to engage in a bit of boundary marker shifting? A night-time practice in most of Thailand?

A covert operation no doubt ph34r.png