Thieves hack ATM in CP Building in Bangkok's Phaya Thai district

webfact

Skimming spree: Thieves hack ATM in CP Building
By Coconuts Bangkok

atm.jpg

Just when you thought it was safe to enter your PIN again, the rampage of ATM skimmers continues.

BANGKOK: -- Several victims found out yesterday that money vanished from their bank accounts after withdrawing cash from a Thai Military Bank ATM located in CP Tower 3 in the Phaya Thai district. They reported their losses to police there.

Tawee Rattananukulpong, a victim who works in the building, revealed that many of his colleagues got their money stolen after cashing at the ATM, including himself, whose entire balance of THB45,800 was stolen Monday.

However, Tawee was not the first to come to the police. Anuphol Phuwapoonpol, management president of Far East DDB, said he lost an even larger sum the same day - THB800,000. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/11/13/skimming-spree-thieves-hack-atm-cp-building

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-11-13

This has been long going on...skimmers are always many steps ahead of the Police and the cyber crime detection units of Thailand....!!!

Where and which country has this money ended this time??

Bill and Ben are in shock, BUT I bet the little WEED knows something about it--don't you ??

Be interesting to know if this suspect ATM was a standalone unit or part of a TMB branch there...

The prevailing wisdom is that standalone ATMs are more vulnerable and more likely to be targeted...

But an ATM inside a CP Tower building could also be a branch location.

As for the large amounts stolen, Thai bank accounts with ATM cards often have quite high daily ATM withdrawal and POS limits by default... And I suspect a lot of account holders, Thai and farang alike, never bother to find out what their daily limits are and adjust them to some safe/comfortable amounts.

Do you know... how much can be withdrawn from YOUR Thai bank account via ATM per day??? If not... now's a pretty good time to find out.

• Like 1

Be interesting to know if this suspect ATM was a standalone unit or part of a TMB branch there...

The prevailing wisdom is that standalone ATMs are more vulnerable and more likely to be targeted...

But an ATM inside a CP Tower building could also be a branch location.

As for the large amounts stolen, Thai bank accounts with ATM cards often have quite high daily ATM withdrawal and POS limits by default... And I suspect a lot of account holders, Thai and farang alike, never bother to find out what their daily limits are and adjust them to some safe/comfortable amounts.

Do you know... how much can be withdrawn from YOUR Thai bank account via ATM per day??? If not... now's a pretty good time to find out.

I'd suggest holders know the limit of the card (s) they possess.

This has been long going on...skimmers are always many steps ahead of the Police and the cyber crime detection units of Thailand....!!!

In the near future (Thailand's plan is 2014) skimming will become a lot harder. The switch to chipped cards (and relegation of the magnetic strip) will make cloning cards much harder. PIN numbers might still get recorded in the same manner as today but without a cloned card the PIN is useless.

read carefully. It said in "about" another 14 years Thailand will start to get up to speed with this matter,

Until then…,

In the near future (Thailand's plan is 2014) skimming will become a lot harder. The switch to chipped cards (and relegation of the magnetic strip) will make cloning cards much harder. PIN numbers might still get recorded in the same manner as today but without a cloned card the PIN is useless.

read carefully. It said in "about" another 14 years Thailand will start to get up to speed with this matter,

Until then…,

Easy there, buddy. Where in either this thread or the article does it say 14 years? How about you take your own advice and read what's written. Or better yet, stop taking things for face value and do your own due diligence:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649648-a-safer-way-to-use-an-atm-in-thailand/

EMV is already being used in Thailand, all Thai banks are currently underway upgrading their ATMs to be chip reader enabled.

I always keep my account abroad to less than $1000, just in case. Then I just transfer money to that account by online banking when I need it when I'm going to withdraw in LOS. I'm pretty careful, looking for hidden cameras and so on, but I think these guys are more motivated to get my money than I am to check, so I know they'll get me sooner or later.

UPDATE:
Skimming gang suspected in latest Songkhla ATM heist

Khwanhathai Malakan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- MORE THAN Bt600,000 has gone missing from the bank accounts of Bangkok residents, very likely at the hands of an ATM skimming gang, which withdrew the cash in the southern province of Songkhla.

Ten victims have lodged complaints with Phaya Thai Police Station. All of them used ATMs at Thai Military Bank's (TMB) Phaya Thai branch.

"The bank assured me that it provides full compensation in such cases," one of the victims, Anupol Puwapoonpol, said yesterday.

He suspected something amiss with an ATM at the CP Tower 3.

Phaya Thai Police Station's deputy superintendent Lt-Colonel Thirasak Sriprasert said police did not find any skimmer in that ATM at the time of their inspection.

"Or perhaps someone had installed the skimmer but had already removed it," Thirasak said.

According to an ongoing police investigation, withdrawals were made from the victims' bank accounts between Monday night and Tuesday morning.

"We are trying to request recordings from the security cameras at the ATMs where withdrawals were made in Songkhla," Thirasak said.

He believed the ATM-skimming gang had gathered victims' information illegally long before they arranged the almost simultaneous withdrawals from all targeted accounts earlier this week.

"We are investigating the case further. The Bank of Thailand has also stepped in to help," Thirasak said.

He added that his station might ask the Technology Crime Suppression Division to help as well.

Last week, dozens of ATM-skimming victims lodged complaints with Lumpini Police Station in Bangkok. The withdrawals were made in Russia and Ukraine.

Thirasak believes that incident and the one his team are investigating are distinct cases.

"The gang that withdrew the money in the South is likely to have involved Thai or Malaysian nationals," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-14