Extension of stay application - within how many days of current expiry date?

I am on my fourth extension of stay, based on marriage visa.

My current extension ends on 18th December. Im aware that I can apply for the extension anywhere from 30-45

days before this date. But what is the latest date that an extension can be applied for? For example, must it be 7 days before it expires or something similar? No-one at immigration seems to understand the question.

I am unable to apply now due to commitments and being overseas until 17th December. Will applying for the extension 1 day before the current one expires be a problem?

Any advice/information from personal experience much appreciated...

cheers

It should not be a problem - but always best to do earlier in case of any missing documents - they could mark the application unapproved and provide 7 days to get documents if something missing and require a new application in such a case, especially with marriage when they must submit documents in a timely manner to higher levels.

• Like 1

Might not the safest course of action for the OP be to obtain a new single-entry non-O visa while he was abroad? That would then presumably buy him at least 60 days from the date of his return to apply for a new extension.

Not needed he could always get a 60 day extension to visit his wife if needed.

But could he still get such an extension if, for any reason (e.g. delayed/cancelled/overbooked return flights), he was, in the event, unable to make it to Immigration before his existing extension expired on 18 December?

That would be the absolute worst case scenario.

He said he would be doing the extension on the 17th which is a Tuesday so he might be arriving the weekend before and getting his documents together on the 16th.

Also it might be impossible to get a visa. Not all countries have a Thai embassy or consulate.

Edited by ubonjoe

That would be the absolute worst case scenario. He said he would be doing the extension on the 17th which is a Tuesday so he might be arriving the weekend before and getting his documents together on the 16th. Also it might be impossible to get a visa. Not all countries have a Thai embassy or consulate.

Actually he said he'd be out of the country until the 17th ... which makes it sound as if he would be arriving during the day of the 17th. Not much leeway for getting documents organized, especially if he requires embassy letter or bank manager's letter.

I am unable to apply now due to commitments and being overseas until 17th December.

Edited by Suradit69

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to open a new topic, but this one is very similar to my question.

My current extension of permit to stay (non o marriage) expires 19 Jan.

My question, is there a qualifying period before this date that I need to present in Thailand.

The answers to the OP suggest I could enter Thailand very close to 19 Jan and make my application without problem.

Am I understanding this correctly ?

Thanks in advance.