Caroline Kennedy sworn in as US ambassador to Japan

webfact

Caroline Kennedy sworn in as US ambassador to Japan

TOKYO: -- Caroline Kennedy, daughter of assassinated US president John F. Kennedy, was sworn in Tuesday as the new US ambassador to Japan.

Kennedy took the ambassador's oath at a ceremony led by US Secretary of State John Kerry at the State Department nearly 50 years to the day of her father was fatally shot in Dallas, Texas.

During her confirmation hearing in the US Senate, Kennedy said she "was humbled to be following in the footsteps of some strong people" who previously served as US ambassador to Japan. When she was nominated in July the White House emphasized her experience and her enormous commitment public engagement.

Caroline Kennedy, 55, holds numerous leadership positions at many US institutions. Among them are the John F Kennedy Library Foundation, the Institute of Politics at Harvard University and the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Kennedy, who holds a law degree from Columbia Law School, is the most famous living member of the Kenndy family. In continuing the political tradition of the Kennedy clan, she has been a strong supporter of President Barack Obama, a Democrat.

She has never made a serious bid to hold elected office. She withdrew her candidacy to succeed New York senator Hillary Clinton in 2009 for personal reasons.

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_11_13/Caroline-Kennedy-sworn-in-as-US-ambassador-to-Japan-1167/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-11-13

Democrats like to appoint someone who is useless to ambassador posts...I am not sure why. Jimmy carter named Shirley Temple Black as ambassador to Ghana, and she arrived in that country wearing one of those colonial pith hats that the English colonizers used to wear. The people were horrified. I wish I could find the picture.

• Like 1

Japan and the USA are very close allies and very important to each other.

The Kennedy appointment reflects that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/wp/2013/11/13/caroline-kennedy-the-new-ambassador-to-japan-celebrates-happy-chapter-in-her-life/

After leading an intensely private life in New York, Kennedy, 55, leaped at President Obama’s appointment to become ambassador to Japan. She has visited several times (she and her husband honeymooned in the country) and is now bringing her family’s storied history to the high-profile job in Tokyo. She’s not the first in her family to hold the title of ambassador — grandfather Joe Kennedy served as ambassador to Great Britain, aunt Jean Kennedy Smith was ambassador to Ireland — but she’s the first female ambassador from the United States to Japan. That’s a very big deal, and dovetails nicely with Prime Minister’s Shinzo Abe’s call for “a society in which women shine” and more female leaders.

In many ways, she’s been an ambassador all her life.” Japan is getting “an envoy who has the ear of the president, the respect of the president, the affection of the president.”

Edited by Jingthing

"I am not sure why Jimmy Carter named as ambassador to Ghana."

He didn't. She's a Republican, and was appointed ambassador to Ghana by Gerald Ford and ambassador to Czechoslovakia by George H.W. Bush.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You cant make this kind of stuff up if you tried!

Thanks TO, you made my day!