Clarification over Visa's

Hello

I have some questions please over a Visa query (another one of those!). I apologise in advance; some of the answers I already know but need absolute clarification on and I'm sure most of this has been asked before.

I am British born with a British passport. I've been to Thailand a number of times but always by stamp on arrival. Next year I'm likely to visit the country again for a longer stay with the intention of visiting India inbetween.

1) When you enter Thailand with a British passport on no pre defined visa, you're given a 30 day exemption. Technically this is not a 'visa'?

2) Can that standard exemption then be extended by 30 days at a Thai immigration office?

3) Can that 30 day 'extended exemption' then be extended again for a further 30 days at a immigration office?

4) I understand a triple multi entry visa pre obtained in the UK is valid for 6 months from issue.
How long are single and double entry visa's valid for respectively?

5) Each entry - whether that be on a single, double or triple entry - allows 60 days continuous stay per entry?

6) My intention is to stay in Thai for 2 months, go to India for a month (for which I have a 5 year visa already) and then return to Thailand for 2 months

A double entry would cover this, assuming it's valid for more than 90 days. If not it'd have to be a triple. Given I'd have months to prepare and the cost difference is negligible, I'd probably go for a triple anyhow

When I do apply (at Hull, UK) for either, it'll be the first time I have done so. Presumably I'll be issued the visa without any problems. However, this might become a regular thing for me (regular in the respect I might repeat this process every 6-10 months).

Is it likely I will have issues if re-applying for another double/triple entry visa less than 12 months of the first being issued?

7) Can my final (60 day) entry (whether that be the 2nd on a double or the 3rd on a triple) be extended 30 more days at a Thai immigration office?

8) Strange question but do the immigration officers look for such pre obtained visa's when you hand your passport over or is it wise to specifically present the passport on that page? It would be frustrating to arrive with said visa on arrival only to be issued a standard exemption stamp!

9) I have heard varying reports about issues with return ticket dates not matching visa requirements. My return date (from BKK to LHR) would be approximately 5 months after my first arrival date in country (2 months Thai, 1 month India, 2 months Thai). However my initial visa (be that double/triple) won't reflect that date
Presumably airlines and immigration are knowldegeable as to the mechanics behind such visa's and I won't be given any problems?

I did want to ask something else but it's escaped me. Thank you for your replies

Edited by coffin

Just get a double or triple entry Tourist Visa, and be done with it. Each entry is for 60 days and each can be extended 30 days for 1900 Baht. Just be sure to make the last entry before the "use by date". The 30 day visa exempt entries only get a 7 day extension period to leave the country, however the new rules allow a 30 day exempt entry at land border crossings now.

1 yes you can get a 30 visa exempt entry. One problem that you might encounter is that without a visa the airline in the country that you board your flight might not allow you to board the flight without a ticket out of Thailand during that 30 days.

2. No, only 7 days

3. No

4. Single, 3 months; double, usually 6 months but you might have to ask.

5. Each entry allows 60 days which can be extended at immigration for 30 days, cost 1900 baht.

6. No

7. Yes

8. Your arrival card has a place where it asks for visa number, write it there and insert your arrival card in the visa page of the passport. Make sure that you check the stamps before you leave the immigration booth, they do make mistakes.

9. As long as you have a visa the ticket will not be a problem. If you come on a visa exempt entry the ticket could be a problem with the airline, not immigration as they might not let you board your flight without a ticket exiting during the allowable 30 day visa exempt entry.

If I were you I would get a triple in the UK just to cover all bases. Hope that I have provided the answers correctly. Good luck

Thank you very much for your replies

I gathered a triple entry covered most my bases. Most my questions were for clarification and for other future trips of varying stay

I see there is a Thai consulate in central London. My sister works there. Is it necessary for the individual applying for the visa to make the application personally themselves or, assuming all the paper work is in order, can someone else do it for you? (both apply and collect, when ready)

thanks again

Thank you very much for your replies

I gathered a triple entry covered most my bases. Most my questions were for clarification and for other future trips of varying stay

I see there is a Thai consulate in central London. My sister works there. Is it necessary for the individual applying for the visa to make the application personally themselves or, assuming all the paper work is in order, can someone else do it for you? (both apply and collect, when ready)

thanks again

Looking at the website it says The Embassy accepts applications through private tourist agencies in UK. and Anyone with the receipt can collect visa on behalf of applicants.

So you don't have to collect it yourself and it looks like you don't have to apply yourself either but maybe someone else has done this and can confirm. I've always used the consulate in Hull via post.