Foreigners pull money out of Thai stocks and bonds

webfact

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good investor does not have any feelings except his money.

So do I. I was the happiest person to make money when US property and financial market crashed and I will be happy if Thailand market faces the same problem and that I am seeing some signs. As it will provide me a lot of opportunity to make money in short time.

I pulled out all of my investment 15 days back as I was expecting political turmoil to aggravate. But please don't follow me. Just use your brains.

Good. Pull it all out, and let's see if Thais continue with their unfounded arrogance.

Of course they will continue, because if it crashes through the floor now they will blame it on the foreigners, same as they did in 1997.

Remember they raided and blamed Abn-Amro at that time?

It is not just the foreigners that are pulling their investment out of Thailand.

My Thai father in law has also done the same. Especially his millions he put into government bonds. He fears the government banks holding his money will go bust.

Government bonds are the safest place to hold money.

If a government bank goes tits up, which is most unlikely, the government guarantees the deposits.

So I guess he now has his money in a deposit account with commercial bank? It it goes tits up, the backstop in this case is still the government.

In all three cases the government is the backstop.

Or he has put it in gold, where he has to take the USD exchange rate risk and the gold price risk.

Or left it in 1,000 notes under the bed, where the rats could eat it.

The really stupid people around here are those playing the Thai Bashing game in these forums (and elsewhere). Every communication you make on the Internet and via your mobile phone is intercepted and analysed. They know who you are and where you live and your passport number too. It's not only the NSA that's doing it. You are the real morons!

While I dont necessarily agree with the Thai bashing but why should forum members not have the freedom to express thier views as long as it does not conflict with forum rules.

• Like 2

i wonder who is buying all the stocks then?????

I beg to differ Le Roy and I are buying yes we sold when the set was about 1640 in May I told you many did not believe

Now is the time to buy

The SET is like getting money for free Buy Buy Buy Do not be afraid

And remember you can buy in your name not like at house

Are you really Jim Cramer ?

Thailand wants to profit from the globalization but definitely not play by the rules of this game, give them a finger, they take your arm but do expect that they'll feed you a corn of rice when starving. Just waiting for some PM coming up with restrictions and regulations for foreigners regardind the stock market!coffee1.gif

The really stupid people around here are those playing the Thai Bashing game in these forums (and elsewhere). Every communication you make on the Internet and via your mobile phone is intercepted and analysed. They know who you are and where you live and your passport number too. It's not only the NSA that's doing it. You are the real morons!

They have hidden cameras in all our bedrooms too! facepalm.gif

• Like 2

just watch Thai's driving on the roads and you get a very clear picture about the country (i.e. how they run their country and businesses): an incredible mix of ignorance, arrogance and blatant carelessness which I have not seen in any other country to that extent; up and down the country, left, right and center, cross genders...

• Like 1

I know someone running an Australian Forex Investment Program. Minimum $50,000 U.S.D.

(He says it has been returning 10-20% monthly for the past 3+ years)

I asked him about the U.S.D. collapsing, etc...he said, "In Forex, the more volatile the market, the better the returns."

(They use some advanced software that check 400 indicators simultaneously 24 hours a day and although there is some risk, there is a stop loss in place)

There are 2 sides to this story, i'm sure. I infer from the language being used that the main motivation behind this story is political, to have a dig at the government.

Correct, but when does a "The Nation" article not have that idea in mind?

There are 2 sides to this story, i'm sure. I infer from the language being used that the main motivation behind this story is political, to have a dig at the government.

Correct, but when does a "The Nation" article not have that idea in mind?

What is the "other side" of this story Fabby?

That Forbes article is not as great as some claim to think here.. Some of its graphs are just dated...it does not mention the positives, like how the Thai minimum wage has increased this year, how low inflation is and how under-leveraged the rest of Thailand is, past the consumer. It just slams the bubble word some 15 times and many of the comments after that article are even more interesting, like all growing economies are subject to a bubble sooner or later but the timing is what is critical, or you stay behind in 1-2% US Gov. bonds, which by definition is a loss, as they don't keep up with inflation. Most people with low or little education in a subject like to be super negative, its so much the vogue du jour now, to their peril.

AGREE. The idiot farangs on this thread just have to find a reason to bash on the Thais. It's like these guys want Thailand to fail, to somehow justify their own failures.

Why can't people just appreciate that foreign funds pulling out of the Thai market will weaken the baht, which is a good thing?

• Like 2

Bloody foreigners,why can they not just leave their money here,

shut up,and leave us alone, we know what we are doing,most

likely what the government is thinking,even though they wont

say it.

regards Worgeordie

The government is thinking???

• Like 1

Good. Pull it all out, and let's see if Thais continue with their unfounded arrogance.

I don't want to agree with the sentiment but I have to say that I have experienced so much lying (or ignorance) in business here (accounting, project figures, etc) that I wouldn't invest in certain countries in this region as I don't know when we'll discover the lies and see the value of shares plummet as accounts are reconciled. I have experienced numerous businesses that won't listen to conventional wisdom. I have one experience where a friend has listened and their business has seen steady accountable growth for 3 years now (he was at the point of quitting).

It looks like I agree, it is just the slightly poorly qualified "Thais" that disturbs me. Maybe "some Thai businesses" would have been better.

I guess they couldn't be any worse than Madoff or the home mortage scam in 2008.

Agreed, but that wasn't a common attitude educated in from the earliest points in their lives.

ha its always the same people never understand thai living I wouldn't agreed with the protest but I can not stay out of it can I ? this is all good I never see investor loose any money in thai what I see is that they invest and have fun of it ..don't they ...Thailand its Thailand and will live for ever ....

And what's gonna happen? I don't the Thai administration is so intolerant or so bothered about a bunch of cranky old p122heads moaning about whatever takes their fancy cos they got nothing better to do. They scan the airwaves I am sure, but they have more to worry about; Southern terrorism, Hub of yabbah, war with Cambodia and ongoing political unrest, or possibly Lese Majeste. Lighten up man .... are you a North American?

None of you have anything good to say about Thailand, what the hell are you doing here if it is that bad for you.

It is not easy to be in business in Thailand, I have a company that I intended to import and export but you have to have a license for every thing, you have to state what product for each export or import with fees all the time, does not happen in western country's you need your lawyer to do it most of the time as if you try your self they make it so difficult if you are not prepared to donate some good tea money. Al Capone would have been in the shit if he tried it.

• Like 1

Penny wise and Pound foolish.

But you can not blame the government because they didn't do anything last 2 years.
The corruption rules this country and they lost a lot of money in the rice-pledging.

So the trust in Thai economy and politic will be lower.

The good fact that the exchange rate from the pound will go to 60 baht.

So the excise raise they pay Thailand by herself.

Thanksgiggle.gif

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Please do not post using overly large font.