Wine by the glass

thaipod

The Beaujolais Nouveau should be arriving at the end of this month.

I agree that a cheapy red is probably better when drunk slightly chilled. Or go the Spanish way and drink a calemucho which is cheap table wine mixed with coca cola. Can be quite refreshing and takes away the sickly sweet taste of the coke.

I was in Andalusia Spain a few years ago and the mix there was original (cloudy) lemonade. The same very refreshing. I forget what it was called though.

jb1

I think you're correct with the name, I used to also be fond of making this and selling it off a push cart on my front lawn during the long hot summer holidays. It's 1 cup sugar, to 5 whole lemons + 50% water with plenty of ice.

Ah the wonders of the Internet I have managed to find the name of the drink I was talking about.

Check link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinto_de_verano

jb1

Cool!

Off to Makro. This will go well with the lamb gyros tonight!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ring Sizzler headquarters in Bangkok and for the big boss. Tell him you have an urgent written report for him to check out and see if he cares as much as I don't. Nearly as silly topic as the

"Does your wife clean" thread.

Thailand is just discovering wine. Better coffee has now arrived, now its wine's turn. But not quite. A couple of years ago Thailand entered a Free Trade agreement with Australia, for some products, including wine. Since then the tariff has come down to around 100%. (160% before) I've noticed that 7/11s are trying to sell half bottles. But its still not cheap.

The best value is Peter Vella - California, some South African wines and then a few Australian reds. But good old thailand is trying to get its own industry going. It looks good, is packaged well, but oh so sweet. With some farang input I think they will eventually do it. The big thing to watch is Chinese wines - as they do have the climate in some places. But about Sizzlers - only been once, never again.

On the topic of good wines, I've yet to taste a French wine that matches a decent drop of Penfold's Grange.

I've no doubt they are out there, but not for the same price.

Probably because all the French Bordeaux is from American rootstocks. Happened 1875 to 1892 if memory serves me correctly.

Worse than that, for the bashers. It comes from Texas root stocks.

On the topic of good wines, I've yet to taste a French wine that matches a decent drop of Penfold's Grange.

Probably because all the French Bordeaux is from American rootstocks. Happened 1875 to 1892 if memory serves me correctly.

So the most expensive wines in the world, Bordeaux, are actually grown on Texas vines. I didn't know that. I had assumed California. I looked it up and discovered Texas had wine much before California. Go Cowboys.

Highly unlikely to get corked wine these days unless it is an old vintage.

What? Because aside from Old World wines most of the New World stuff is under stelvin?

Plenty of cork taint out there and there's a fairly big discussion going on about wine taint, brought about by the latest Australian MW's dissertation for her MW studies...

You'll also note that the MS recipients for this year were quite small (I believe 5 from North America) despite the numbers sitting the exams being higher, due in no part to the exam being given a refresh by a number of MW's, a few other MW's commented that even they found it difficult and they didn't have any input in it.

Thailand is just discovering wine. Better coffee has now arrived, now its wine's turn. But not quite. A couple of years ago Thailand entered  a Free Trade agreement with Australia, for some products, including wine. Since then the tariff has come down to around 100%. (160% before) I've noticed that 7/11s are trying to sell half bottles.

The tariff on Australian wine 100%? I suggest you go back and read the TAFTA. You're about 92% off on your calculations...

You have to have a look around but there are some effectively priced quality Australian wines out there..

Not only is there plenty of Bordeaux, Burgundy or Rhône that not only match Grange but leave it wondering why it's so over priced.

There's also a number of Australian wines that are a good $100 cheaper and easily better than Grange..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Highly unlikely to get corked wine these days unless it is an old vintage.

What? Because aside from Old World wines most of the New World stuff is under stelvin?

Plenty of cork taint out there and there's a fairly big discussion going on about wine taint, brought about by the latest Australian MW's dissertation for her MW studies...

You'll also note that the MS recipients for this year were quite small (I believe 5 from North America) despite the numbers sitting the exams being higher, due in no part to the exam being given a refresh by a number of MW's, a few other MW's commented that even they found it difficult and they didn't have any input in it.

Thailand is just discovering wine. Better coffee has now arrived, now its wine's turn. But not quite. A couple of years ago Thailand entered a Free Trade agreement with Australia, for some products, including wine. Since then the tariff has come down to around 100%. (160% before) I've noticed that 7/11s are trying to sell half bottles.

The tariff on Australian wine 100%? I suggest you go back and read the TAFTA. You're about 92% off on your calculations...

You have to have a look around but there are some effectively priced quality Australian wines out there..

Not only is there plenty of Bordeaux, Burgundy or Rhône that not only match Grange but leave it wondering why it's so over priced.

There's also a number of Australian wines that are a good $100 cheaper and easily better than Grange..

Grant, please pm those names as I love learning about good wine :)

Grant, please pm those names as I love learning about good wine :)

Margaux, Lafitte, Lateur and Palmer just to get the tongues wagging can all be had for cheaper prices than Grange.

Henschke Hill of Grace, Bird in Hand M.A.C, Grant Burge Meshach, Two Hands Ares off the top of my head from the Australian contingent...

• Like 1

So the most expensive wines in the world, Bordeaux, are actually grown on Texas vines. I didn't know that. I had assumed California. I looked it up and discovered Texas had wine much before California. Go Cowboys.

The pertinent paragraph:

"The greatest contribution of T. V. Munson was his cooperation with the French wine industry in developing phylloxera resistant rootstocks. Once the problem was identified as an insect and it was learned that American species were resistant, the great challenge of moving rootstock material to France was taken by Munson. For four months in south central Texas, from Bell to Bexar counties, Munson organized dozens of workers and land owners who collected 15 wagons of dormant stem cuttings for shipment to France. Most importantly, all lots were identified by species and shipped via three ships to southern France. The vines were the breeding stock for the rootstocks which saved the European wine industry. Hundreds of villages were saved and thousands of grape growers were able to grow grapes again. The rootstocks used throughout the world today originated in Europe from the Texas native grape material from Munson. For this effort, T. V. Munson was awarded the Legion of Honor, Chevalier du Merite Agricole, by the French Government."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/southerngarden/Texaswine.html

• Like 2