Motor Expo Bangkok - Bike Section - November, 2013

ll2

I was amazed at how small the Superleggera is- if I was given one with the condition that I couldn't sell it and could only ride it, I don't think I'd be on it very often- it's the size of a scooter.wink.png

Italians are not the tallest smile.png however perfect size for me iam volunteering!

Also we know/judge things by comparison to what we have or are use to.

It's smaller than the 999 Panigale, which I was able to sit on at the show- I'm not a giant at 6'2", but people were laughing at how tiny it looked with me on it- I looked down over the front tire- there's no way I could fit on it with a decent riding posture, and the Superleggera would be worse- some bikes are just made for shorter arms and inseams.;)

I went and checked out the HP4 (which I'm planning on buying) after the show, and I could just manage to get comfortable on it (and the rearsets still had a bit of adjustment left), and it's not a big bike, yet it's quite a bit bigger than the Superleggera (30lbs wet)- Ducati had to make some serious compromises to drop the weight from their flagship.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was amazed at how small the Superleggera is- if I was given one with the condition that I couldn't sell it and could only ride it, I don't think I'd be on it very often- it's the size of a scooter.wink.png

Italians are not the tallest smile.png however perfect size for me iam volunteering!

Also we know/judge things by comparison to what we have or are use to.

It's smaller than the 999 Panigale, which I was able to sit on at the show- I'm not a giant at 6'2", but people were laughing at how tiny it looked with me on it- I looked down over the front tire- there's no way I could fit on it with a decent riding posture, and the Superleggera would be worse- some bikes are just made for shorter arms and inseams.wink.png

I went and checked out the HP4 (which I'm planning on buying) after the show, and I could just manage to get comfortable on it (and the rearsets still had a bit of adjustment left), and it's not a big bike, yet it's quite a bit bigger than the Superleggera (30lbs wet)- Ducati had to make some serious compromises to drop the weight from their flagship.

I dont think so although I am not sure what a 999 Panigale is? Did they have one?

If you mean their 999 superbike the new superleggera is actually about 2" higher seat height

Even taller than the 2012 Panigale 32.7 vs 32.48

Wheelbase afaik is also the same as always 56.5" or very close

The big weight savings I don't think were compromises but is down to Ohlins, Brembo, titanium bolts,

magnesium monocoque, carbon-fiber bodywork and rear sub-frame, a lightweight lithium-ion battery and a titanium exhaust.

But also 6'2" as you are pretty tall by most standards. I could see a bike like this seeming cramped for you.

You know MotoGP riders are almost jockey size smile.png

Perdrosa for instance at a full foot shorter than you & weighing 51kg smile.png

Edited by meechai

I meant the 899.

Did you make it to the show and get a look at the bike? Regardless of what the numbers state I got a really good view of it (though it was impossible to sit on it)- it certainly looked quite a bit smaller than the 899 and 1199 S models sitting a few feet away from it- honestly, I thought it might be a miniature model just for display purposes until I got closer to it. It was lower and shorter (to my eye), though the specs I read only support it being about 0.5" shorter with a similar wheelbase (though, again, it looked like a much bigger difference). Maybe it's not as small as I thought, but it sure looked it.

27lbs (compared to the R) is a lot of weight, especially considering that the R was already heavily breathed upon to reach 417lbs wet- I doubt I'll ever encounter one on the street, but it would be nice to see one run in person.

This was my view:

post-176811-0-80948000-1386397653_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I meant the 899.

Did you make it to the show and get a look at the bike? Regardless of what the numbers state I got a really good view of it (though it was impossible to sit on it)- it certainly looked quite a bit smaller than the 899 and 1199 S models sitting a few feet away from it- honestly, I thought it might be a miniature model just for display purposes until I got closer to it. It was lower and shorter (to my eye), though the specs I read only support it being about 0.5" shorter with a similar wheelbase (though, again, it looked like a much bigger difference). Maybe it's not as small as I thought, but it sure looked it.

27lbs (compared to the R) is a lot of weight, especially considering that the R was already heavily breathed upon to reach 417lbs wet- I doubt I'll ever encounter one on the street, but it would be nice to see one run in person.

No I did not get to the show.

Yes no matter what the sport bikes at least the higher end ones are compact to

say the least. Definitely purposefully built

Panigale 899 is 32.48" seat height which is the exact same as their old 999 & same as always right around 56" wheelbase

One other thing I have not looked at is the clip-ons may be more aggressive on this one? Not sure.

Yes they really spared no expense on getting that weight down with $$$ parts smile.png

Likewise I doubt I will see one on the road & know I will never own one sad.png

Edited by meechai

Rubbersidedown, have you considered the naked S1000R which will be out in a few months? MCN just reviewed it on youtube and were raving about it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've known it was coming for a while, but I'm passing on it- I read the reviews and it looks nice, but I always wanted a liter-sized sportbike as a second motorcycle. Now if I could afford three bikes...;)

Really, I feel like I'm at the point where I don't have too many years left to contort myself to ride a serious torture-rack of a sportbike- my shoulder has issues, and my knee is running low on cartilage- if I don't buy one in the next year or two, I probably never will. I'm moving to a new area in the next few months, so I'm putting down a deposit on the HP4 to reserve it, and I'll hopefully take delivery in March or April.

• Like 1

Rubbersidedown, have you considered the naked S1000R which will be out in a few months? MCN just reviewed it on youtube and were raving about it!

I've known it was coming for a while, but I'm passing on it- I read the reviews and it looks nice, but I always wanted a liter-sized sportbike as a second motorcycle. Now if I could afford three bikes...;)

Really, I feel like I'm at the point where I don't have too many years left to contort myself to ride a serious torture-rack of a sportbike- my shoulder has issues, and my knee is running low on cartilage- if I don't buy one in the next year or two, I probably never will. I'm moving to a new area in the next few months, so I'm putting down a deposit on the HP4 to reserve it, and I'll hopefully take delivery in March or April.

Love to bug one too.

I m doing a track weekend at kaeng krachan at the moment and the most popular liter bike is s1000rr.

But a bmw had a terrible accident. A white one i think the one at the photo.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13864222681681_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13864223451756_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13864224242368_thumb.jpg

Love to bug one too.

I m doing a track weekend at kaeng krachan at the moment and the most popular liter bike is s1000rr.

But a bmw had a terrible accident. A white one i think the one at the photo.

The first pic is an HP4- is that the bike that went down, or was the the S1000RR in the third photo? It will probably pop up on FB soon- the Thai guys love to post crash photos.

I am not sure really. But it was two bikes made accident. Maybe both was bmw. They were showing power to each other and crashed at the same time. Really dangerous as i was at the track that time too! They are at the hospital now and one could not wake up. Hope he is ok. Also one track buddy had an accident hard as well with kawa er6n and hospitalized.

Kaeng krachan is a dangerous track for sure but provides lots of fun:D

Screwing around like that was how I had my big crash- 100% my fault and I got out of it more lightly than I deserved- it taught me a valuable lesson that has stood with me for nearly 15 years.

I hope the riders recover- no matter the circumstances, I hate hearing about guys going down on the street or track.

• Like 1

Screwing around like that was how I had my big crash- 100% my fault and I got out of it more lightly than I deserved- it taught me a valuable lesson that has stood with me for nearly 15 years.

I hope the riders recover- no matter the circumstances, I hate hearing about guys going down on the street or track.

Me too. Todays accident was much more horrible. Organizer went down out of blue. He is really in bad situation people said. But will wake up fortunately.

I hate to see bikers on the ground as well especially on a track day.

Rumor has it (from a Ducati rep at the motor show) that the 899 will be assembled in Thailand next year and price will come down.

Should be interesting

Any news about the Ducati's?

Same price I recon?

this is the current price list....

attachicon.gifpost-182269-13848386515741.jpg

Actually they are doing the 899 Panigale for 899k baht at the show

40k off
1441409_661745333876961_1602530598_n.jpg

Also as previously mentioned the Monster 796 ABS Corse Stripe @ 449,500

1459968_545096952238047_1052958969_n.jpg

• Like 1

Rumor has it (from a Ducati rep at the motor show) that the 899 will be assembled in Thailand next year and price will come down.

Should be interesting

Same price I recon?

Posted Imagepost-182269-13848386515741.jpg

40k off

Posted Image

Posted Image

That should be great!

Especially with a price at 550 k!

Especially that conventional swingarm was like an indicator of this news.

Should be interesting

Same price I recon?

Posted Imagepost-182269-13848386515741.jpg

40k off

Posted Image

Posted Image

That should be great!

Especially with a price at 550 k!

Especially that conventional swingarm was like an indicator of this news.

Who said 550k? In Europe It's 15490 euros which is equal to 650k so min. would be around 700k for Thailand I guess.

^ Where in Europe? Hypermotard in Thailand is cheaper than in Europe for example. The 899 I don't know, 100k cheaper than Europe sounds like a lot but ... would be very nice! EU taxes on bikes are worse than Thailand's... much worse...

I wonder who would buy the 899 now for 899k baht when everyone knows it's coming assembled in Thailand mid next year?!

Edited by nikster

^ Where in Europe? Hypermotard in Thailand is cheaper than in Europe for example. The 899 I don't know, 100k cheaper than Europe sounds like a lot but ... would be very nice! EU taxes on bikes are worse than Thailand's... much worse...

I wonder who would buy the 899 now for 899k baht when everyone knows it's coming assembled in Thailand mid next year?!

The hyper isn't really cheaper in thailand msrp is 11.190 euro multiply by 42 euros (which is a good average exchange rate) i get 469.980 vs 499.990 bht in thailand.

Its great we are finally getting fair prices in thailand but don't start dreaming boys. Personally i don't believe the rumor about the 899 build in thailand as well...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Hili

Actually usa price of hypermotard is around 370 k and we pay 500 k here.

899 price is around 460 k in usa and if we take hypermotard price difference as referance, i believe we can see it at 600 k thb maybe a bit more here of course if they make it in Thailand.

600 k is not bad for this exciting new bike with full electronic aids.

C'mon ducati. You can make it here!

Are any 'flagship' bikes made in LOS?  I don't know of any- I can't see anything with the Panigale name being manufactured here- I think the top-of-the-line Ducatis, BMWs, etc will always be produced in their home factories.

899 has a lot budget components if you compare it with 1190 panigale.

It looks like a budget supersport bike from ducati.

Sure he was German? Because KTM is an Austrian brand so I'd think he's Austrian. Only us Austrians care, probably, but hey... 

Right! Austrian? German? Who gives a s**t? Same same but different! 55!

Who was that Austrian-born German I recall from a while back? No! Not the footballer!

Okay, back on thread. No Suzukis?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The hyper isn't really cheaper in thailand msrp is 11.190 euro multiply by 42 euros (which is a good average exchange rate) i get 469.980 vs 499.990 bht in thailand.

Its great we are finally getting fair prices in thailand but don't start dreaming boys. Personally i don't believe the rumor about the 899 build in thailand as well...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We can only hope. The same rep (I bought my bikefrom him in 2011) asked me if I was interested in the new Hyper a while back just before it launched, I then asked him if it was gonna be assembled in Thailand which he hinted it was but said and I quote: "but now I’m not confirm"

At the show he said that for now the 899 is an import bike but may be next year they will be assembled here and added the same "but now I’m not confirm". Time will tell I guess....

Personally I prefer the looks of the 848 smile.png

Kind regards

Edited by nbg

A friend showed me the figures of bookings taken during the show earlier and Honda had the most by far, just over 1000 if I remember correctly, followed by Kawasaki with a few hundred. Ducati were quite high on the list as were Benelli and then KTM, Triumph, Keeway etc with MV Agusta bottom with 18.

• Like 1