Motor Expo Bangkok - Bike Section - November, 2013

ll2

... That MV Agusta has flat front tire blink.png

In Pattaya,Watchara Marine (the Yamaha shop on Sukumvit) also has a dealership for the KTM,.. have about 7-8 bikes on show.

I got a full price list and they are pretty expensive,

Duke 200 is 249k & 390 is 339 k.... i would say they need to knock of about 25 % of those prices if they are going to sell ?.... even with that the duke 390 goes for 190 k in Oz so someones taking the p*ss somewhere ??

The Duke 390 sells for 118k in India & even in Cambodia it is 190k out the door.

As for that flat tire on the MV I think I know where the air went smile.png

1472879_769796399712641_103227211_n.jpg

Gotta check if the nipples are loose... I mean on a bike :D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to the German guy at the KTM booth today and asked him about those wonderful prices.

Guess what, I didn't get a decent answer apart from: it is the import tax.

Still I asked him, then why is an Indian Duke 200 60K baht and here it costs 230K baht.

I know about import tax but this is just ridiculous. He then told me about the exclusivity of the bikes in Thailand biggrin.png

Same about the Duke 1290, they will only have 40 for 1,3M baht, he told me I should hurry if I want an exclusive bike, because they will be gone by the end of the month.

Well, he didn't convince me.

Haha nice, thanks bramds i kinda imagined something like this. This is quite funny cause i don't know any other country where KTM is treated as an exclusive brand. I mean it is for sure a good brand but this is ridiculous, so they don't want to be exclusive in India where they selling it like crap but in Thailand haha making sense to me now.

• Like 1

The 1290 is a great bike, but anything over a mil is really a joke (even a mil is a joke, but this is Thailand...) If they find 40 buyers considering the other options for 1.4mil (like the HP4 and Panigale, both of which are comparatively better deals, more desirable in LOS, and better bikes in general) I'll be very surprised.

I talked to the German guy at the KTM booth today and asked him about those wonderful prices.

Still I asked him, then why is an Indian Duke 200 60K baht and here it costs 230K baht.

I know about import tax but this is just ridiculous. He then told me about the exclusivity of the bikes in Thailand biggrin.png

Same about the Duke 1290, they will only have 40 for 1,3M baht, he told me I should hurry if I want an exclusive bike, because they will be gone by the end of the month.

Well thanks for the try bramds

Sounds like you got the Thai excuse from a German

Of course what you said about comparing other imports & the sheer audacity of the markup is true.

If anyone else is going I would recommend more of the same.

Duke me KTM ( Thailand KTM ) posted that he was a technician so he may not be high up the KTM food chain.

But if he hears it enough maybe he will pass it back along at the head office.

Also just so he does not think it is just falangs comparing to other countries someone should tell him

to ask the KTM main office to look at any related KTM price announcements by Thai SuperBike,

MX Magazine etc on FB. Tell them get a Thai translator & see what the Thai's are saying.

I have been watching & they are all laughing at the price of the 390 let alone the bigger bikes.

Sure he was German? Because KTM is an Austrian brand so I'd think he's Austrian. Only us Austrians care, probably, but hey...

I sure wish their prices were more reasonable. But. I think it makes sense that if you're already an "exclusive" brand which is exclusive because it's basically way overpriced thanks to import taxes, then you might as well milk it for what it's worth an add a healthy margin on top of that. You've already given up on competing on price and value. You can't compete when it comes to bang for the buck with anything locally made or assembled. Only the rich will be buying these things. Take the $$$ is the correct strategy.

If they eventually open up a SE Asia plant or if there's a FTA with India. then they'll compete hard. Any way they find around the import taxes, bam, prices will drop.

Until then, they're going to continue with the "we make toys for the rich" strategy. It's not unlike KTM to go all the way on something - this is not a company built on compromise. Just look at the bikes wink.png

Hardly worth "complaining" to them. They know what they're doing.

Edited by nikster

Sure he was German? Because KTM is an Austrian brand so I'd think he's Austrian. Only us Austrians care, probably, but hey...

I sure wish their prices were more reasonable. But. I think it makes sense that if you're already an "exclusive" brand which is exclusive because it's basically way overpriced thanks to import taxes, then you might as well milk it for what it's worth an add a healthy margin on top of that. You've already given up on competing on price and value. You can't compete when it comes to bang for the buck with anything locally made or assembled. Only the rich will be buying these things. Take the $$$ is the correct strategy.

If they eventually open up a SE Asia plant or if there's a FTA with India. then they'll compete hard. Any way they find around the import taxes, bam, prices will drop.

Until then, they're going to continue with the "we make toys for the rich" strategy. It's not unlike KTM to go all the way on something - this is not a company built on compromise. Just look at the bikes wink.png

Hardly worth "complaining" to them. They know what they're doing.

Thailand and India have already a free trade agreement, the only downside is that motor vehicles are on the exception list, therefore the import duty is and will be for as long as motorcycles are on the exception list 60% import duty (this is without Excise and Interior tax and VAT)

Thailand and India have already a free trade agreement, the only downside is that motor vehicles are on the exception list, therefore the import duty is and will be for as long as motorcycles are on the exception list 60% import duty (this is without Excise and Interior tax and VAT)

Thanks for that. So 60% + excise,int tax & VAT

Still a Duke 200 retails with reg in India 60k-69k baht

So with the Duke 200 60k> 249k= 315% increase & that is based on

"retail" India. KTM Thailand does not pay retail I'm guessing

Yes I think they may have a bit of profit there rolleyes.gif

Which is expected & fine but theirs is over the top & not doing

KTM's exposure in Thailand any favors IMO

Edited by meechai

I believe the duke 200 is back to 199k?! Makes it kind sorta almost competitive with the dtx 250 / crfm 250.

Super duke R will sell out I'm willing to bet on that. It's the biggest baddest naked out there & you'll easily find 40 rich Thais and the odd farang to snap them up.

Isn't there a FTA between India and ASEAN coming?

@Nikster: Yes he was German, I asked him. He has only worked for KTM in Austria for a couple of years and now he is in Thailand since 6 months or so.

He is actually a customer service guy and I asked him these questioons as a potential customer.

Worst customer service ever, not what I expected from a German.

I think Kunka brainwashed this guy pretty good.

@Nikster: Yes he was German, I asked him. He has only worked for KTM in Austria for a couple of years and now he is in Thailand since 6 months or so.

He is actually a customer service guy and I asked him these questioons as a potential customer.

Worst customer service ever, not what I expected from a German.

I think Kunka brainwashed this guy pretty good.

poor guy, if he says one word wrong Kunka will put him on a plane back to Austria before he can say Jack Robinson.

Edited by pokerkid

Thanks for that. So 60% + excise,int tax & VAT

Still a Duke 200 retails with reg in India 60k-69k baht

So with the Duke 200 60k> 249k= 315% increase & that is based on

"retail" India. KTM Thailand does not pay retail I'm guessing

Yes I think they may have a bit of profit there rolleyes.gif

Which is expected & fine but theirs is over the top & not doing

KTM's exposure in Thailand any favors IMO

If it's anything like beer taxes, it'll be [COST] + [Excise] then [C+E]+[iNT TAX] then [C+E+IT]+[VAT], so it's a fair bit more tax than one initially thinks.

I talked to the KTM guy (he was Thai- it was early and the foreign staff probably were due later)- he said he had actually spoken to the big guys about the price discrepancy, and he agreed that they'd sell more bikes with more realistic prices, but it didn't seem like anything was going to be done anytime soon.

He did say they had already sold about 15 Super Dukes, which was surprising- they probably went to guys that had been drooling over the pics for months and would have bought one at any price- I have to agree it's a cool bike:

post-176811-0-74482900-1385975898_thumb.

I talked to the KTM guy (he was Thai- it was early and the foreign staff probably were due later)- he said he had actually spoken to the big guys about the price discrepancy, and he agreed that they'd sell more bikes with more realistic prices, but it didn't seem like anything was going to be done anytime soon.

He did say they had already sold about 15 Super Dukes, which was surprising- they probably went to guys that had been drooling over the pics for months and would have bought one at any price- I have to agree it's a cool bike:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

cool bike with 1,25 million price tag!!!

and i really dont believe like they sold 15 of them. Even Honda only sold 5 of 630 k cbr1000rr they told me on Sunday.

which is less than 450 k thb in USAblink.png

anyway, duke 390 is really feels like <deleted> once you sit on it so i am not feeling that bad for high prices of KTM.

Edited by ll2

Can you guys already been to the Expo tell me how much a deposit on a bike typical are (I know for cars it's: 5000 baht).

If I can get a good deal on a Ducati Hyperstrada I might play ball.

I know the price is 549k baht but maybe they will add free 1st year class A insurance or am I just dreaming.

I will go on Saturday and will be looking for mesh jackets/helmets and off-course bikes and cars too.

If you mean a deposit to order one, Honda wants 10K, BMW wants 50K (note there are no BMW bikes at the show due to their late arrival- they have no stock for a display)- I believe Ducati also wants 50K, but I'm not sure.

There wasn't much in the way of gear on display- I expected a lot more.

If you mean a deposit to order one, Honda wants 10K, BMW wants 50K (note there are no BMW bikes at the show due to their late arrival- they have no stock for a display)- I believe Ducati also wants 50K, but I'm not sure.

There wasn't much in the way of gear on display- I expected a lot more.

OK thanks, guess it's not cheap to rent a space there so small vendors stay away, a shame really.

I dont know looks like they are thinking about it smile.png

Maybe you guys made an impression?

0% interest for 4 years or 3817THB x 48 months = 183,216 baht so down from

even the 199k sale price

994956_690254037674881_757429919_n.jpg

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

Can you guys already been to the Expo tell me how much a deposit on a bike typical are (I know for cars it's: 5000 baht).

If I can get a good deal on a Ducati Hyperstrada I might play ball.

I know the price is 549k baht but maybe they will add free 1st year class A insurance or am I just dreaming.

I will go on Saturday and will be looking for mesh jackets/helmets and off-course bikes and cars too.

For honda, i paid 5000 thb for cbr500 and again 5000 thb for cbr650f.

Ducati i remember asked 20 k thb as deposit.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK thanks, looks like I will be carrying a heavy wallet on Saturday.

I dont know looks like they are thinking about it Posted Image

Maybe you guys made an impression?

0% interest for 4 years or 3817THB x 48 months = 183,216 baht so down from

even the 199k sale price

Posted Image

Is there no initial deposit?

• Like 1

OK thanks, looks like I will be carrying a heavy wallet on Saturday. 

Ducati have pos machine so you pay with credit or bank card.