Non-B Visa. Phnom Penh or Vientiane?

Looking for latest advice on which is better to apply for Non-B visa. Time it takes for processing, likelihood of multiple entry, helpful hints etc. Cost not really a concern unless it's significant. I'm a US citizen currently living in BKK on ed visa.

I apologize in advance to the "pros" who have probably seen many posts like this before. I'm a newbie and somewhat of a Luddite so having trouble sifting through the previous posts that could be helpful.

Please be nice.

How will you qualify for such a visa is the first question that needs to be answered - and will you qualify for extensions of stay? Are you planning to work with a work permit available? Do not believe multi is likely anywhere without long work permit validity at time of application. All visa issue takes longer in Phnom Penh but that is just a few days.

Thank you for your reply. I will be working in Thailand now. I have a letter and supporting documents from my soon-to-be employer stating their intention to hire me for a year and that the visa will be used to apply for the work permit. The letter requests a one year, multi-entry, Non-B but I understand it's up to a particular consular whether or not they will grant a single or multiple entry.

Is this additional info helpful? It seems like Vientiane is my best bet in terms of quick service. Thanks again!

Unless you are working as a teacher you will need a work permit application done already at any nearby location and it will only be a single entry. You can apply for a work permit with a tourist visa.

The only location doing multiple entry visas is Penang and you have to have a work permit already.

• Like 1

As said not going to happen at any local Consulate. But you can make application for work permit on any vise with your contract and company documents and get a receipt and then go to get single entry b visa allowing the issue of the actual work permit. In most cases you then extend your stay for employment each year?

• Like 1

Thanks again for your help. My company is getting all necessary paperwork so that they can apply for the work permit. Once I get written proof from Labor that the work permit has been applied for, I will have the last piece of information to get my Non-B.

My next dilemma: My current nom-Immigrant ED visa expires on December 1 and my new company needs more time to provide evidence for hiring another foreigner. While this is sorted out, is it better to have my Thai language school (which I still attend) do another 90 day extension for OR leave and come back as a visa-waiver tourist (American). In other words, are there any complications changing visas from Non-ED to Non-B? In the past, whenever I've done my extension for the ED visa, I've signed something saying I will not be looking for work. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

If labor accepts your work permit application with your current extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon study you probably still have to go out for the B visa. Your best option may be to get a single entry tourist visa which would give you more time to get work permit application done.

• Like 1

Thank you UbonJoe. To be clear, I am no longer on a visa, but an extension of stay. So there is no reason to "convert" visas. I simply (you know what I mean) need to leave the country to get the new Non-B when everything is in order.

Thanks again for your help.

I am having the same problem. I am a Nigerian on Non-ED visa. I got a new English teaching job which requires Non-B visa while the work permit is being processed. Which of the Thai embassies around can grant me a Non-B visa in earnest as my current visa plan is due to expire by the first week of January?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am having the same problem. I am a Nigerian on Non-ED visa. I got a new English teaching job which requires Non-B visa while the work permit is being processed. Which of the Thai embassies around can grant me a Non-B visa in earnest as my current visa plan is due to expire by the first week of January?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't think you will be able to get a visa without returning home. I suggest you contact one of the nearby consulates or embassies to confirm. Edited by ubonjoe