Paying off Mortgage

keithcresswell

One would assume you will receive or be asked to collect relevant title deed etc for the property.

Most banks have english speaking staff, why not enquire directly with your local branch.

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried. However although we are legally married and the payments come from our joint account, and I am the mortgage guarantor, the mortgage is in my wife's name and therefore the bank will only talk to my wife about it. I have explained that my wife is both physically and mentally disabled but that didn't cut any ice.

I suppose, basically I'm trying to find out whether this is going to involve a trip to the Land office. I guess I'm going to have to end up going to a lawyer.

One would assume you will receive or be asked to collect relevant title deed etc for the property.

Most banks have english speaking staff, why not enquire directly with your local branch.

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried. However although we are legally married and the payments come from our joint account, and I am the mortgage guarantor, the mortgage is in my wife's name and therefore the bank will only talk to my wife about it. I have explained that my wife is both physically and mentally disabled but that didn't cut any ice.

I suppose, basically I'm trying to find out whether this is going to involve a trip to the Land office. I guess I'm going to have to end up going to a lawyer.

Sorry about your wife, may I suggest that you go see a lawyer with a view to obtaining the Thai equivalent to a "power of attorney" over your wifes affairs, that will give you legal access and control to whatever you need, not just for this but for any other issues that may arise in the future.

Dont know if its even possible but needs exploring as a suggestion.

Best of luck.

Edited by CharlieH

When a previous gfs home loan (BKB) was in arrears the bank were happy to negotiate with me, without the gfs knowledge or permission.

My wife now has a home loan (SCB), totally in her name, the bank have no problems dealing direct with me.

Make the final payment and do nothing is the easy option, what are they going to do?

Edited by FiftyTwo

When a previous gfs home loan (BKB) was in arrears the bank were happy to negotiate with me, without the gfs knowledge or permission.

My wife now has a home loan (SCB), totally in her name, the bank have no problems dealing direct with me.

Make the final payment and do nothing is the easy option, what are they going to do?

Yes I'm sure the bank would be willing to speak to me if I cancelled the standing order. Maybe I'll just do as you suggest and see what happens.

Thanks

Sorry about your wife, may I suggest that you go see a lawyer with a view to obtaining the Thai equivalent to a "power of attorney" over your wifes affairs, that will give you legal access and control to whatever you need, not just for this but for any other issues that may arise in the future.

Dont know if its even possible but needs exploring as a suggestion.

Best of luck.

I did tentatively check about POA but I understand it would have to go to court and, to be honest, that all sounded a bit complicated and probably more than a bit expensive. Also my wife's family have now become heavily involved in her care and I am not sure if they might object to a farang (albeit married for 16 years) taking control of their potential legacy.

I feel that I'm walking a tightrope at the moment.

Anyway thanks for your suggestion.

I'd be thinking long and hard about the efficacy of making the "final" payment until I had more information about what would then transpire.

Presumably the title would then pass to your incapacitated wife which leaves you where?

You need to get some quality legal advice.

Sorry to hear about your wife and best wishes.

I am sorry about your wife :(

As other poster has mentioned, perhaps getting power of attorney is the way and would be handy paper to have at a later time.

I believe once its all paid off, you will receive all the papers in the mail or be called in to collect to sign off.

The problem i see which you already have, most likely papers will be posted by registered post and only she would be able to sign, but if she is incapable, they may not release it.

Another option may be is to visit any bank and ask them to explain general procedure for you, this may clear up some air.

TIT, you need to talk to an attorney, you need legal advise, do you have any children? Maybe possible to make them caretakers of the property until they are old enough to own property outright.

Also what can you look forward to once the house is paid off and your wife remains incapacitated and her family moves in if you have not built a good relationship with her family.

It would be a good idea to hold off making that final payment until you are sure you can get legal written permission of the next of kin to be allowed to live in your house if your wife can no longer guarantee your right to remain in your own home.

Good Luck,

Cheers: