Why should I care about Thai politics and why do so many TV members appear to?

Jib Teenuc

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you have a wife and kids and assets in the country, it would pay to be at least aware of what's going on.

If you think none of it effects you, at least you won't know it's going to hurt until after you got shafted.

I still don't see how.

Will the Thai Nationals rise up and murder the Farangs (as happened in many former British Colonies during the 50's and 60's)?

Will the government sequester the contents of my bank account (as happened after the coup in Cuba)?

I don't believe it. Thailand is above all that and even the craziest of the crazy politicos would not dare.

Thailand s not Cambodia nor North Korea.

I still don't know why I should be interested in Thai politics (except as an unconcerned observer).

Thanks, anyway.smile.png

Mate, just read some of the other topics on tv, ac temp.,1000s of comments about the widening of a road,etc etc. Its just they have nothing of interest to do with their lives.

• Like 2

Well, since Jib purports to own property here ..... I think he is best served not learning anything. The disillusionment factor with noob's that lose it all after having not done their homework makes for good theater! (Somewhere between melodrama and a greek tragedy!) \\edited for a there their they're error!

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

So now I'm a Troll.

You hold a contra position to mine (but cannot either evidentially or eloquently support it) so what do you do?

Call me a troll.

The last sanctuary of the inept.

Pathetic.

I maintain that I asked a valid question and that no-one has yet sufficiently answered that question (being) "Why should I care about Thai politics" is all.

Au contraire.

Well, since Jib purports to own property here ..... I think he is best served not learning anything. The disillusionment factor with noob's that lose it all after having not done there homework makes for good theater! (Somewhere between melodrama and a greek tragedy!)

And the reason I should care about which political party is in power is.........?

Why not answer me, rather than attack me?

I'm here seeking wisdom from the experienced and all I receive is diatribe.

• Like 2

Jib T, Thai Visa would be a duller place without the potted Political "experts" and their daily bouts of "Plodsaprop this" and Kittirat-That...."ing".....and Yingluck's handbag shopping....when most of them wouldn't know Plaek Phibulsonkhram from Pridi Panomyong.

Seriously though, You should be aware of whats going on especially in these unstable times. Without being too melodramatic, one day it could well save your life or your little all.....!!!!however I wouldn't use any of the info posted here as a reliable source nor act on it....

• Like 1

Well, since Jib purports to own property here ..... I think he is best served not learning anything. The disillusionment factor with noob's that lose it all after having not done there homework makes for good theater! (Somewhere between melodrama and a greek tragedy!)

And the reason I should care about which political party is in power is.........?

You have been given answers. You hve not been attacked.

You have been given answers. You hve not been attacked.

So who's trolling who, JD?

Let it go mate. I am.

And for your information and contary to your assertions, I have not been given adequate answers at all as to why I should care about Thai politics and what (if any) difference any party in power has on my life or affairs.

As for being a "noob", I've owned property and been a frequent visitor to Thailand for 12 years, or so. Travelled all over and know Bangkok like the back of my own hand.

So, I'm hardly a "noob".

But, on that note, we're not going to agree because you are incapable of actually entering into the debate and explaining your point (assuming you have even formed one). So we'll have to agree to disagree.

And far from being a Troll, I consider my own input here to be mfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ce.UuJWYpOV2u.

No further correspondence on this thread shall be entered into, by me (so feel free to vent your spleen with impunity, hereonin).

Hardly the gameplan of a Troll, to leave off pursuing his trolling activities, I feel sure you will agree.

lock.gif.pagespeed.ce.HUpoQX69cx.gif

you received plenty of answers

• Like 1

Be informed, be aware, so you can adjust and prepare for whatever changes may be applicable to your own situation and take appropriate action.

You may have no say in the decision process but by paying attention yiu have knowledge over how it may effect you and your circumstances.

• Like 2

I have had a buisness here ,i have been here off and on for 23 years ,the last 8 off them permanantly, the one and only time i have been affected was in 97 ,it was when my money more than doubled overnight,oh happy days.

Edited by i claudius

I see what the OP's saying, and if that's his philosophy on things, more power to him. Up to him, as they say.

Me personally, I've profited by keeping abreast of things.

After the floods, I invested in a Thai Mutual Fund through Morgan Stanley (ticker TTF). Less than a year later, by paying attention to the government's absurd populist initiatives, I got the urge to sell. Locked in 40%+ in profits before the fund took a 20% dive in share price. I was ahead of the curve, beat all the rating agencies criticisms. In fact, when I sold, a lot of analysts were still pushing Thailand as a 'Buy'.

As an aside, for those with U.S. brokerage accounts, who also believe the worst is behind us in this episode of Thai politics, check out THD in addition to TTF. THD is an ETF as opposed to TTF, which is a Closed End Fund. There could very well be a bounce in share price as things return to "normal". I'm watching very closely myself. wai2.gif

I see what the OP's saying, and if that's his philosophy on things, more power to him. Up to him, as they say.

Me personally, I've profited by keeping abreast of things.

After the floods, I invested in a Thai Mutual Fund through Morgan Stanley (ticker TTF). Less than a year later, by paying attention to the government's absurd populist initiatives, I got the urge to sell. Locked in 40%+ in profits before the fund took a 20% dive in share price. I was ahead of the curve, beat all the rating agencies criticisms. In fact, when I sold, a lot of analysts were still pushing Thailand as a 'Buy'.

As an aside, for those with U.S. brokerage accounts, who also believe the worst is behind us in this episode of Thai politics, check out THD in addition to TTF. THD is an ETF as opposed to TTF, which is a Closed End Fund. There could very well be a bounce in share price as things return to "normal". I'm watching very closely myself. wai2.gif

I'm sure whatever that means is good, and well done, good luck etc........but for me it was mostly alphabet soup!....sorry, Why oh why do people use abbreviations in a particular theme (finance, stocks etc) and assume people will know exactly, what the hell they are talking about.....TTFN ....(thats ta ta for now !).

They're not abbreviations: They're ticker symbols. When you buy a stock, bond, mutual fund, etf, etc., they are represented by ticker symbols.

For example, the ticker for Microsoft is MSFT

But nevermind about the advice in my post. If you don't even know what a ticker is, you have no business in the market.

• Like 1

If you don't have a Thai wife, kids, run a business, have a WP, have assets, employ people or plan on being here a while...then stay on your barstool kid and enjoy the sudsy brews and ignore everything around you...

You'll do just fine in your ignorant bliss bubble.

• Like 1

They're not abbreviations: They're ticker symbols. When you buy a stock, bond, mutual fund, etf, etc., they are represented by ticker symbols.

But nevermind about the advice in my post. If you don't even know what a ticker is, you have no business in the market.

Appreciate the information and explanation, but probably best suited to the financial/ stocks threads etc where it can be more readily understood and appreciated.

Appreciate the information and explanation, but probably best suited to the financial/ stocks threads etc where it can be more readily understood and appreciated.

You giving me a hard time, Charlie?

Obviously I included it in this thread because the OP is looking for reasons why people pay attention to Thai politics. My initial post was and is pertinent to the discussion. The second was written as a favor to anyone else who might be as confused by it as you were.

Edited by aTomsLife

I follow the political news for the entertainment value. It is history in the making as various factions struggle to gain dominance in a changing region. I know I have no influence so I can just observe the theatre of greed, folly and caos.

Well if you have a wife and kids and assets in the country, it would pay to be at least aware of what's going on.

If you think none of it effects you, at least you won't know it's going to hurt until after you got shafted.

I still don't see how.

Will the Thai Nationals rise up and murder the Farangs (as happened in many former British Colonies during the 50's and 60's)?

Will the government sequester the contents of my bank account (as happened after the coup in Cuba)?

I don't believe it. Thailand is above all that and even the craziest of the crazy politicos would not dare.

Thailand s not Cambodia nor North Korea.

I still don't know why I should be interested in Thai politics (except as an unconcerned observer).

Thanks, anyway.smile.png

They can change laws as they see fit whenever and however they like. I have worked for and run my own business in Thailand. To not know the law would be idiotic in that context.

Having been here in 97 and seen the financial chaos that caused, it pays to pay attention.

Agree with you, but this man's retiring so why she he bother with busines law or tax law? You would have been negilgent and foolish not to because you had busuiness concerns but if he hasn't got that to worry about, why bother?

I follow the political news for the entertainment value. It is history in the making as various factions struggle to gain dominance in a changing region. I know I have no influence so I can just observe the theatre of greed, folly and caos.

Cool!!

I find this attitude extremely problematic. One of the reasons why there's so much corruption and shit going on in Thailand is because most people rather play Candy Crush than observing and debating problems. Because nobody gives a shit, politicians can to what they want.

I don't believe people who say they don't care about politics. Because politic is not only about red and yellow, it affects everyone that lives here, if you like it or not.

I'm not a big fan of Thai politics myself, it's tiring and frustrating, but the more I follow the government's decisions, the more I learn about how they might react with different topics.

What kind of people are this that decide to spent the rest of their lives in a country and refuse to learn the language and not showing the least interest in its politics? When immigrants in the US or in Europe do like this, people are screaming to "send them back".

Refusing to at least being aware of the problems and the people of power in this country only to keep up their imaginary Disneyland are not citizens, they're slaves.

or vice versa .. slave/citizens comment

Many of the more sentient care about/take an interest in everything.

John Crosby late of "The Observer", remarked about the dire consequences of shooting umpteen copper needles into space, "It's outside my worry orbit"

For me, probably news about Yasser Arafat's possible assasination falls into that arena.

"So, why should I care about Thai politics?"

So why should all the posters here care if you care or don't care?

Take yourself out of the equation.

I enjoy learning about how the government works. I also have an opinion on Thai politics just like have an opinion on Egypt, Israel, Etc.

I personally don't get emotional like some do. I wouldn't protest or publicly support anything, but privately I form my opinions based on what I see. To turn blinders on to things around me is quite selfish.

It seems as that you don't actually live in Thailand but are just here. You most likely do not have social ties in the community or have a connection with those around you. IF you did, you might have some opinions on how their governement is effecting them

Precisely! Might add that I have been in LOS for 7 years, and still find Thai politics hopelessly confusing. To be sure, there are issues that affect foreigners living in the country, but I would not recommend getting directly imvolved in Thai politics in any way, for both reasons of mental health and self-preservatiion. As one poster correctly noted, there js nothing we can do anyway. Personally, I am very happy here and love Thai people and the country, and I have no interest in focussing on all the country's shortcomings, however obviious they may be! :)

I saw a newspaper story about it a while back.

LOL.

As I suspected.

Thai Visa members who are hooked on Thai politics are also more likely to be either homicidal or suicidal.

I am beginning to feel more and more vindicated in my lack of interest in Thai politics.

Thanks for that post.

It's a hoot.clap2.gif

Why worry over something that is not within your power to change, even if I did want to change anything, which I do not!

First this is a different situation fundamentally from the past.

Namely, the Big Man may be gone soon.

His presence in the past is what limited the conflicts.

Now ANYTHING can happen.

Civil War, Military Coup, Riots, etc.

AND

it only takes one rogue General to order "instigating farangs"

to be either jailed, beaten or worse.

You should worry because it may affect your longevity.

JMHO