Thai Idioms, Slang, Sayings, Contemporary Expressions....

Water Buffalo

Calling all those who can understand Thai well (not me)

I have bee studying Thai for a few years now. I can get by in quite a few situations. I can read pretty much most of what i see, although i lack the vocab to know what I'm reading most of the time.

Anyway, i have been wanting to buy a book with some of the quirkier and more fun stuff (idioms, slang, sayings, proverbs, contemporary expressions etc etc)

But i don't just want to get a book for fun, i want it to be useful as well.

So my question is this: to those people here who can understand most of what they hear and are pretty much fluent, how often are idioms, sayings, slang, contemporary expressions etc etc used in daily conversational Thai? and therefor which one(s) would be most useful to learn?

Thanks

In my opinion you will be fairly limited to a handful of expressions that you understand and even less that you can adequately use. It would be better not to try to go local at this stage but concentrate on and put your energy into improving your 'normal' Thai and leave the slang and street language to the native speakers for the time being. However if you insist there might be books that others know about (I do not) and otherwise facebook, Line and Thai chat sites are an excellent source of slang expressions typically used by the younger generation.

Here is a book which might fill your bill: "The Notebooks: An English-Thai Lingualicious Treasure Trove" described as

"The Notebooks is a first shot at filling a void - both in content and methodology - helping native English speakers convey what's on their mind. Our approach is different. Rather than teaching Thai words - we start with English terms - natural language phrases and expressions - which foreigners would like to know how to say - with an equivalent 'register' and mood - in Thai. So, we 'reverse engineer' the process. Before this book, you probably couldn't say things like "You ain't got the juice", "That's a slammin' shirt", or "He's totally clueless" in Thai. Now you not only can, but you'll "Kick ass" (also in these pages) at taking your native English phrases right into Thai equivalents."

You can see the book at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/The-Notebooks-English-Thai-Lingualicious-Treasure/dp/1479761281/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384745981&sr=8-2&keywords=Lingualicious

Best of luck in your studiesl

• Like 1

They are used regularly especially the following words:

กินน้ำพริกถ้วยเดียว ( keen noumprig touy deaw.) It means that you should be faithful to your spouse/GF/BF

เกลียดเข้าใส้ ( keawd kall zai.) Thai people use this to express their feeling toward someone or things they dislike very much.

I apologize for the spelling, I am not sure how to spell the words in English :(

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The language is full of all these forms.

I have a book titled " ๒,000 สำนวนไทย " by เอกรัตน์ อุดมพร และ สิทธิโรจน์ วงศ์วิทยาเจริญพัฒนา

It has a ก to ฮ index, the idiom and then a small paragraph on each explaining context and when / how to use it.