Suthep declares Nov 24 demise of Thaksin Regime

webfact

Sounds like Suthep wants a civil war or is utterly insane.

You cover both perfectly. He is also trying to cover his arse re the possible charges coming up along with his offside Abhisit, hoping to create enough of a problem here hoping his own problem will go away. The problem here is he may be inciting enough people that will result in some more deaths. Already had some assaults.

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two groups seek impeachment of 310 MPs
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party and another anti-amnesty bill group on Monday filed two separate petitions seeking the impeachment of 310 MPs who passed the final reading of the bill.

Somkiat Homla-or, president of the Business Club for Democracy, submitted 23,000 signatures to Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanich as part of its petition to impeach the 310 MPs.

Nikom said he would check the accuracy of the signatures before sending them to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC).

"I will probably combine the signatures accumulated by the people's anti-amnesty bill group with the signatures gathered at the Democrat-led protest, before sending the list to the NACC," Nikom said.

Somkiat said the Business Club for Democracy will not join the Democrat's rally, as the club's mission is not to bring down the government. However, they will keep a close eye on political situation.

Former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban Monday initiated a process to impeach the 310 MPs.

Suthep submitted his petition to the Senate Speaker, stating his intention to invoke Article 270 of the Constitution to initiate the impeachment process.

Suthep said he would have at least 20,000 signatures of voters to back the impeachment request on Wednesday morning.

Nikom said Suthep has 180 days to gather 20,000 signatures of eligible voters.

After receiving the signatures, he will have officials verify them before passing on the petition to the National Anti-Corruption Commission for an investigation, Nikom said.

If the NACC finds grounds to suspect wrongdoing of the 310 MPs, the NACC will submit the matter back to the Senate and it will require three fifths of senatorial votes or 90 votes to impeach the MPs.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-18

"submitted 23,000 signatures to Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanich as part of its petition to impeach the 310 MPs."

"the club's mission is not to bring down the government."

Sorry, but what else would the impeachment of 310 MPs do but to bring down the government?

Edited by Local Drunk

"submitted 23,000 signatures to Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanich as part of its petition to impeach the 310 MPs."

Sorry, but what else would the impeachment of 310 MPs do but to bring down the government?

The aim is likely to take over government, which is probably one of the scenarios the PAD speaker yesterday was referring to when he said that the plan to put AV in as PM would be a disaster with a lot of bloodshed.

The impeachment goes to the NACC and then if over half of the NACC believe there are grounds for it, they pass it to the senate to vote on. As soon as they pass it to the senate the position holders are suspended. The senate are then meant to consider the issue quickly. It is a more convoluted kind of version of the Abhisit plus Newin maneuver that happened a few years back with disastrous consequences.

Of course the chances of it happening are probably a little less this time around.

Abhisit should step down and give the people in the north and north east an alternative. I don't believe he is guilty of murder, he is guilty of not taking a firm stance at the beginning of the mess in 2010. He could have put a stop to it before the reds began building fortresses and burning tires. He sat down with red leaders, offered them an election in 4 months, but an election wasn't what they were after. They wanted to bring back the man who could make them all rich within 6 months of his return. Thaksin has been compared to a leech, he is more like a cancer.

I can remember many people in CM saying that whilst T was a local boy and a self professed champion of the poor he was still really another corrupt politician out for himself like all the others. Many even suggested that Abhisit would actually make a better PM given the chance. Well he was given the chance but sadly in difficult circumstances he ultimately disappointed turning out to be a bit of a pussy whereas Thaksin was already a complete cult.

• Like 1

In the real world it might rid the country of yes men and sycophants to be replaced by those who act for their constituencies.

Alas.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I doubt there ever was any rupture....Just a show. The red MPs didn't even vote against the amnesty. In my opinion it was just hot air.

The Isaan poll showed 75% of the people in the Isaan did not support the amnesty as they wanted Abhisit and Suthep tried. The reds are huge in the Isaan. This is generally seen as the reason PT backed down by many people. The North of Thailand would be very similar. It is hard for those who do not have connections in the rural areas to appreciate quite how despised these two men are for their connection to the death in 2010. The Dems sure wont be winning any election with Abhisit as leader.

And just why didn't the PTP consult their rural supporters before pushing the bill through parliament? Surely if 75% of people in Isaan, and I'm not doubting that figure, want Abhisit and Suthep tried, some alarm bells should have been ringing at PTP headquarters a long time ago? And what about the MPs from Isaan? They could hardly be described as voting for the interests of their constituents, if 75% of the people they claim to represent were against the bill in the form it was presented? Doesn't that make rather a large mockery of those who are trying to tell us that the PTP have the rural interest at heart? Rubbish. This entire debacle has shown the PTP have the interest of one man alone at heart.

I doubt that figures, I think there are a good 10-20 % who don't even know the names and more who really don't care about politics. I would be surprised if 50 % have a political opinion. And that don't only count for Isaan, all over Thailand and also in Farangistan most people aren't much interested in politics.

"Let us come up with a million or more than a million (people) to fight with our bare hands until we win,” he said."

Read: you may fight, while I head off to some safe place, protected by my bodyguards!

I am not sure about that. Suthep has shown some strength in not running away from charges laid against him PPP/PTP/the reds)

If we were talking about Chamlong I would say 100% that you are wrong. With Suthep I would say there is an 80% chance you are incorrect.

Strength? He knows he is covered by the Emergency Decree which gives him and abhisit amnesty as long, and here's the deciding factor, as long as the court regards their actions as not being a disproportionate response to the force they were resisting. The Human Rights Organisations have already made their views known on the use of snipers / marksmen and live fire zones. It remains to be seen (hopefully) whether the Court agrees with them.

I notice that all the talk about the charges only being made against them as a way to apply leverage to their agreeing to the Amnesty Bill has gone very quiet - a bit embarassing to claim that so loudly and then not see it happen I suppose.

You don't think these charges were intended as leverage for their agreeing to an amnesty bill which would whitewash Thaksin of his criminal conviction and the serious criminal outstanding charges he currently faces should he return to Thailand. Fair enough - that's your opinion and you are perfectly entitled to express it. Maybe the timing and decisions were all just coincidence.

However, despite strong indisputable evidence, Thaksin will not be charged with any involvement in financing or inciting the 2010 insurgency. But his government are warning that people who oppose them may be charged with treason and have their assets seized. Thaksin's sister and cousin, in their roles as PM and Foreign Minister, illegally issued a new Thai passport which was supposedly personally delivered by the Thai ambassador to the UAE. Questions on this from the Ombudsman remain unanswered and ignored. No one seems bothered to investigate this, or the many cases against those connected to PTP that were dropped by the DSI shortly after Yingluck was installed as PM.

It does seem that the law is seen as something to use by PTP when they can, against there opponents, and to be ignored if anyone want to use it against them.

Murder charges, treason charges, threats of assets seizure, - some may see this as purely coincidental, following unbiased professional investigation by the DSI, competent assessment by a non-political AG and an appropriate decision based on law. Others may see it as a blatant attempt at upping the blackmail stakes in a desperate attempt to force the whitewash through aided by lackeys and cronies.

Going to be an interesting time until the 180 day period following rejection by the senate of the amended amnesty bill is up. Or maybe the Dems have found something rather incriminating that is going to be made public on the 24th Nov?

• Like 1

"Let us come up with a million or more than a million (people) to fight with our bare hands until we win,” he said."

Read: you may fight, while I head off to some safe place, protected by my bodyguards!

I am not sure about that. Suthep has shown some strength in not running away from charges laid against him PPP/PTP/the reds)

If we were talking about Chamlong I would say 100% that you are wrong. With Suthep I would say there is an 80% chance you are incorrect.

JD I think you should look into his history: 1995 and more recently 2009 (that was a classic dodge)

Agree, and where was he hiding in 2010. Lead from the front, mmm Not Suthep's style at all

• Like 1

I notice that all the talk about the charges only being made against them as a way to apply leverage to their agreeing to the Amnesty Bill has gone very quiet - a bit embarassing to claim that so loudly and then not see it happen I suppose.

What a strange sense of logic you have. How is the claim that the charges only being made against them as a way to apply leverage to their agreeing to the Amnesty Bill in any way affected/disproved by the fact that the amnesty failed to pass the senate, or that principled people refused to bow to pressure?

What did you expect to happen?

Edited by JRSoul

Abhisit should step down and give the people in the north and north east an alternative. I don't believe he is guilty of murder, he is guilty of not taking a firm stance at the beginning of the mess in 2010. He could have put a stop to it before the reds began building fortresses and burning tires. He sat down with red leaders, offered them an election in 4 months, but an election wasn't what they were after. They wanted to bring back the man who could make them all rich within 6 months of his return. Thaksin has been compared to a leech, he is more like a cancer.

I agree. But my guess would be that he would wait until just before an election to do so

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He couldn't stop it at the beginning, the police wouldn't help him and the army only came in after forcing him and Suthep to sign on as chief commanders, thereby leaving them to face charges of 'murder'. His hands were tied from the start but he did the best he could.

So, what's the endgame here? The Dems take over? That my friends is going to be a lot more trouble than before. Does anyone think that in Thai eyes a new government with Abhisit as PM will be viewed as anything but another establishment coup?

Suthep needs to get back in his box.

For the longer term future of democracy the wrong doings of the past and present, both in politics and civilian life, MUST be dealt with in accordance with the LAW (a 3 letter word, that appears to have little meaning in this country). It is simple really. All citizens to be treated similarly regardless of wealth or status. That is the only way.

I said it previously and will repeat that Suthep can single-handedly destroy the opposition's position and in the Thai way of things since he has become the top man no one is likely to tell him to cool it etc.

The only real option for those who disagree with what he says and can't get him under control is to distance themselves from him and his mouth which weakens the opposition and plays into the government's hands.

Unfortunately Suthep has the bit between his teeth and the microphone in his hand and can only get worse as there's no way sensible tactics for the common cause will figure in his thoughts now.

Well said. At least someone know a bit about Suthep.

It was Suthep who was against Abhisit been picked by Chuan Lekpai.

Khun Chuan had his reason not to push Suthep to challenge Thaksin for PM.

If Suthep would be in charge of the DP he would run it to the ground in no time.

Any way, the North and Norteast don't want to be ruled by someone from the South. Chuan was an exception in the past.

PTP will win any election against the South because they control more votes in the Northeast and Northern Thailand.

Suthep wants power. Abhisit lost the last election so you can be for sure that Suthep wants to become the next PM of Thailand.

It will not happen.

• Like 1

So, what's the endgame here? The Dems take over? That my friends is going to be a lot more trouble than before. Does anyone think that in Thai eyes a new government with Abhisit as PM will be viewed as anything but another establishment coup?

For the longer term future of democracy the wrong doings of the past and present, both in politics and civilian life, MUST be dealt with in accordance with the LAW (a 3 letter word, that appears to have little meaning in this country). It is simple really. All citizens to be treated similarly regardless of wealth or status. That is the only way.

It will be Suthep who wants to be PM.

Abhisit will be out of it.

It will be Suthep who wants to be PM.

Abhisit will be out of it.

A PAD speaker yesterday claimed the aim was to install Abhisit as PM. The speaker also said it would be a disaster and that there would be a lot of bloodshed. Maybe fear of one of these outcomes is why today we see those who normally remain quiet claiming having elected senators is constitutional, based on Thailand having had them before, before the ruling. That is quite a thing to say as the judges haven't judged yet. This is building up to be a big day, but let's hope it is a big anti-climax.

The new dictator Suthep T. Declares !!!! For god sake if you Suthep T. Still have something in the brain , let the Thai people's make decision throughout a new election who will political run the country !! That's Democraty !! What you and your sa called Democratic party together PAD and some other untouched groups is totally incene.

I have actually found many of the rural folk who have been oppressed for decades and now have found a (flawed imho) party that actually does things for them have a far greater understanding of democracy than many of the the urban ones who seem to think going to university, having an i-phone with a swanky app or two and a lifelong pot of skin whitener and who regard the gunning down of people in the streets as a far lesser crime than a bit of corruption by the dude in Dubai (whose government the world bank said had reduced the level of corruption under the previous Chuan government to normal levels) gives them the right to decide on what the majority should do.

Edited by Sheryl
quote removed as that post has been deleted by Mods
  • Like 1

The new dictator Suthep T. Declares !!!! For god sake if you Suthep T. Still have something in the brain , let the Thai people's make decision throughout a new election who will political run the country !! That's Democraty !! What you and your sa called Democratic party together PAD and some other untouched groups is totally incene.

All that takes is dissolving the parliament and calling snap elections. Then of course if that minor little thing of running the country as a democracy. Note The PAD is not a pro-democracy movement .. and neither is Thaksin (in his own words).

There are many important things in democracy Chris .... and one is the right to peacefuly protest

another is human rights

Please do not forget that rule of law is also vital ......

Suthep is no longer a member of parliament so for him to be the PM would involve another election, so, I doubt that is the mission. My view is that he is at odds with the DP leadership and has played his cards in a high stakes game whereby he is trying to position himself as a potential leader. I actually think the DP leadership has given him encouragement and is the sacrificial lamb. Either way he is fast digging a very deep hole.

Suthep is no longer a member of parliament so for him to be the PM would involve another election, so, I doubt that is the mission. My view is that he is at odds with the DP leadership and has played his cards in a high stakes game whereby he is trying to position himself as a potential leader. I actually think the DP leadership has given him encouragement and is the sacrificial lamb. Either way he is fast digging a very deep hole.

Suthep has become to the elites/dems/yellows what SaeDeang became to Thaksin and his team red. I'm wondering if he will be dealt with in a similar way now that he has outlived his usefulness and is an embarrassment?