What phone to buy?

jvs

I just posted on another topic on of the positive aspects of owning an old phone,nobody wants it!

But seriously i am looking for a new phone but have no idea what to get.

Here is what i need,a simple phone if possible with a camera but must have big digits and buttons and big font. I am getting older and my eyesight is getting worse and i do not carry my glasses around the farm.

I have seen some phones on the net and something like a Doro would be ok i guess.

I used to have a phone years ago that had a feature i really liked,you could link the picture of some one with the number and the picture would show if some one called.

Next week i have to go to Bangkok so i could go shopping then,i would appreciate any suggestions and opinions.

Those Doro phones are just cheap Chinese made phones rebranded. You could probably find the same models in a phone shop for less than you think.

Basic phones don't seem too popular with people nowadays, everyone wants an iphone or Samsung.

If your only going to use it for basc call, txt etc, buy a cheap Nokia .. Had one for years before going to an iphone. The thing was indestructable, 3 times fallimg out of 2 story builing , phone that is , and once out of my pocket at 80kms on my motorbike ... and if it gets lost, stolen ... your not gonna be out of pocket much... coffee1.gif

• Like 2

If your only going to use it for basc call, txt etc, buy a cheap Nokia .. Had one for years before going to an iphone. The thing was indestructable, 3 times fallimg out of 2 story builing , phone that is , and once out of my pocket at 80kms on my motorbike ... and if it gets lost, stolen ... your not gonna be out of pocket much... coffee1.gif

You might be right but the Nokia I have and have not been very happy with for a year has just crashed the microSD in it and I have lost a lot of pics and stuff.

It must be a vengeful yet sensitive thing.

Edited by jacko45k

If your only going to use it for basc call, txt etc, buy a cheap Nokia .. Had one for years before going to an iphone. The thing was indestructable, 3 times fallimg out of 2 story builing , phone that is , and once out of my pocket at 80kms on my motorbike ... and if it gets lost, stolen ... your not gonna be out of pocket much... coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

You might be right but the Nokia I have and have not been very happy with for a year has just crashed the microSD in it and I have lost a lot of pics and stuff.

Hear ya ... I only used my cheap Nokia for call and TXT ... not sure if it even had a microSD ... .. Now I'm walking around with a miniture computer in my pocket ... how things change !! ... remember the earliest "Brick" mobile phones in a bag blink.png

lucky you didnt fall:P seems to happen quite a lot overhere coffee1.gif

• Like 1

If you want to save money, take a trip to a pawn shop. There you can test the phone and see it you like it.

If you don`t care about money, I highly recommend Sony Experia Z. It has the best sound and camera, and

you can take it with you when you are swimming ;)

I only care about battery life, so I have a 500THB Samsung that I charge every 10 -14 days, and I carry a

separate Samsung compact camera.

Nothing funnier than seeing somebody with a phone the size of a magazine stuck to their ear, especially when they need two hands to hold it there.

Why have phones gone like radios? First the old valve radio, then over the decades they reduced to pocket transistors, then went back up in size to ghetto-blasters. Phones are going the same way.

10 years ago the dream phone was the smallest possible, now it seems you have to have a frigging handbag just to put your giant phone in.

The ways of the world are indeed strange. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Hi,

I suggest you go to MBK fourth floor (?) and get a demo from several shops, then buy the one which suits your needs. You can get good deals there (but read my cautionary tale below too). If you don't want a smartphone, then cheap chinese or cheap old Nokia are probably fine for what you need, but be sure the features on the phone you do buy - keypad, camera capacity - are up the the standard you want. That's why a multi-shop experience like MBK is probably worthwhile - then you can treat yourself to the big food extravaganza upstairs!

best, Paul

My Fone Follies.

I have USA/ATT iPhone 3gs, wanted to unlock - MBK guys said expensive, like THB 1500. So I go to find an Android cheap. I settle on and buy a Samsung "copy " smartphone very cheap with credit card - not the real thing - under impression it had all the Samsung features. Wrong - it had most, but it lacked GPS, which I wanted. I tried to return- no go, refused. Thus, I disputed the purchase with credit card, and was reimbursed - we'll see if it sticks. Their loss....

Meanwhile, I decided to go ahead, pay and have the iPhone 3gs unlocked - alas, after four tries in four different places, I'm told it couldn't be done probably because I updated the OS. So, I shop for Android again, but much more carefully. I bought a cheap Chinese Oppo for about 4500 thb, and it has what I need, incl. gps. However,the processor is SLOW and camera is total crap, almost useless. However, those things aren't that important to me. You do get what you pay for in smartphones, imo.

Sounds like you want something like this OP

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Cheap_Mobile_Phones/Cell_Phones/Senior_Citizen_Phone_-_Rugged_SOS_Quad_Band_GSM_Bluetooth/

I've used this company to send stuff to me here in Chiang Mai and so long as you select China Post, it comes in tax free. Mind you, it's so cheap, using EMS would not exactly break the bank. The three times I have used them, the quality of the goods has been fine and everything's worked as described.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Like 1

Hi,

I suggest you go to MBK fourth floor (?) and get a demo from several shops, then buy the one which suits your needs. You can get good deals there (but read my cautionary tale below too). If you don't want a smartphone, then cheap chinese or cheap old Nokia are probably fine for what you need, but be sure the features on the phone you do buy - keypad, camera capacity - are up the the standard you want. That's why a multi-shop experience like MBK is probably worthwhile - then you can treat yourself to the big food extravaganza upstairs!

best, Paul

My Fone Follies.

I have USA/ATT iPhone 3gs, wanted to unlock - MBK guys said expensive, like THB 1500. So I go to find an Android cheap. I settle on and buy a Samsung "copy " smartphone very cheap with credit card - not the real thing - under impression it had all the Samsung features. Wrong - it had most, but it lacked GPS, which I wanted. I tried to return- no go, refused. Thus, I disputed the purchase with credit card, and was reimbursed - we'll see if it sticks. Their loss....

Meanwhile, I decided to go ahead, pay and have the iPhone 3gs unlocked - alas, after four tries in four different places, I'm told it couldn't be done probably because I updated the OS. So, I shop for Android again, but much more carefully. I bought a cheap Chinese Oppo for about 4500 thb, and it has what I need, incl. gps. However,the processor is SLOW and camera is total crap, almost useless. However, those things aren't that important to me. You do get what you pay for in smartphones, imo.

Can do it for you (Unlocking & Jailbreaking) if you are in Bangkok. Just buy me a couple of beers:)

If your only going to use it for basc call, txt etc, buy a cheap Nokia .. Had one for years before going to an iphone. The thing was indestructable, 3 times fallimg out of 2 story builing , phone that is , and once out of my pocket at 80kms on my motorbike ... and if it gets lost, stolen ... your not gonna be out of pocket much... coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Hear ya ... I only used my cheap Nokia for call and TXT ... not sure if it even had a microSD ... .. Now I'm walking around with a miniture computer in my pocket ... how things change !! ... remember the earliest "Brick" mobile phones in a bag blink.png

Same here. Cheap phones use the same methods for transmission as an expensive one. (A tower). We have lost two of this lil blue nokia phones and never winced. A 30 dollar loss.

Keep your expensive stuff safe. I leave all the computing gear at home..where it belongs. I do not need to be out on a date and just sit and fiddle with a damn pad. People who do that are just rude and obnoxious. Go out and smell the flowers and talk to each other in person. Leave the Video games/ facebook and email at home for those lonely nights.

• Like 1

I¨ve a Fysic FM-8800 phone here, that belonged to my 86 year old Mother in mint state.

It´s a big button, big font simple phone with a camera, specially designed for the elderly.

You can have it for free. I´m staying near the Huay Kwang MRT station, so easy to reach if you´re in BKK.

Nothing funnier than seeing somebody with a phone the size of a magazine stuck to their ear, especially when they need two hands to hold it there.

dom_280_1307001a.jpg

I'm surprised the shoe phone never took off. I mean......every cell phone comes from this original concept doesn't it?blink.png

post-124914-0-30283700-1384856663_thumb.

Edited by Gsxrnz

That comment about standby time is very relevant

Modern Android and Iphone offerings will only give you about 24 hours battery life. bah.gif

That's so true. I was home for three weeks recently and used my seven year old flip Samsung while I was there. It got thrashed to death and I only had to charge it twice in three weeks. The battery refused to give up.

Have to charge my iPhone every night here, or invariably it will run out of juice after 24hrs on standby alone. I'd love to use the Samsung in Thailand but the missus bought me the iphone for Christmas a few years ago. I haven't the heart to "lose" it.

Hi,

best, Paul

My Fone Follies.

Not a good idea to dispute a purchase you made. Could very well come back to bite you big time. Would be better of to just walk away from it.

Buyer Beware. But I do think going to MBK and testing some phones is a good idea. Plenty of good used phones there as well.

Buy a motorola G , it's a new model using android 4.3, with no bloat ware. This is a google phone with very good specs, going for US 199 for a 16 gig phone. Check the internet for it, but it might not be for sale in Thailand. No idea why?.

Because it's new and Motorola gave up on Asia... but hopefully will return :D

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

Buy a motorola G , it's a new model using android 4.3, with no bloat ware. This is a google phone with very good specs, going for US 199 for a 16 gig phone. Check the internet for it, but it might not be for sale in Thailand. No idea why?.

No it's sold in Hong Kong,Malaysia and Singapore.

No it's sold in Hong Kong,Malaysia and Singapore.

What it's on sale now? How much?

Sent from my aigoPadM60 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app