All hail the taxi

Kan Win

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/all-hail-the-taxi-20130904-2t54b.html

London cabs far outstripped the runners-up as the best in the world, failing only for being expensive. New York taxis followed in second place, commended for availability and driver knowledge, but condemned for lack of driver skill and friendliness.

1. London

2. New York

3. Hong Kong

4. Tokyo

5. Singapore

6. Bangkok

7. Berlin

8. Helsinki

9. Dublin

10. Madrid

Win thumbsup.gif

London black cabs are ridiculously expensive. Don't believe me, then try a five-mile ride from the centre of London to find out.

Definitely. I would never hail a black cab to get home at night except in very exceptional circumstances (like the time I had an intestinal mishap and didn't want to be around people on the train...).

They'll get you where you want to go, but unless there's a few of you, there are better options..

I loved the taxis in Tokyo. White gloves, door that automatically pops open. Unfortunately, they have a terrible understanding of the city.

That's what I found novel about cabs in Macau, auto-doors and all that. Thing that annoyed me, charging for each bag put in the boot...

English was non-existant, but to be expected as it's not a native language. I also found out my cantonese was not up to scratch anymore :P