Russian tourism group threatens Thailand boycott

webfact

oh well it seems a good majority of Thaivisa readers are happy about Russians leaving Thailand ... but just to remind you , you also are foreigners in Thailand ,like them. This daily Russian bashing is very annoying , specially from people who think to be so superior than others. bah.gif

As any other tourists groups , they point a lack in safety and they are right ... Other countries should do the same ....

Obviously you never had any real long term contact with russians, right?

Don't lie! Using same supermarket doesn't count.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on, good one Russia, Of course Thailand will announce a crackdown & tell Russia it's sorting it out while doing nothing as usual, but if other Countries joined in they'd have to do something rather than lose all their tourist money...

Simple solution - just charge all Russians and extra 1000baht each entering the Kingdom to ensure they get free hospital treatment because they're costing Thailand almost as much as the Chinese in medical bills - now who would have thought of that

Just to let you know that ALL the Russians arriving on a package tour do have medical insurance. So they're not costing Thailand any extra penny; more than that you probably know the hospitals charge the insurance company at least twice as they charge you if you pay in cash.

• Like 2

Sounds like a couple more accidents could do it.

Santa, I know what i want for Xmas!w00t.gif

I try not to wish ill or evil, but it seems that more tragedy will come before long.

Keep an eye on the grey, silver or white visa-run vans. In general, they are a death trap. Sometimes driven by maniacs trying to beat the clock, with an unsuspecting load of sleepy eyed farangs in back hoping they will make it out alive.

As for the boats carrying tourists in Pattaya..."Danger, Will Robinson".

PS. Look to your left, right, front and back when crossing the killing fields (more commonly known as the street).

The RUTI also reportedly demanded the Thai government to solve these issues within the end of November, otherwise it will consider responses necessary to maintain the safety of Russian citizens by canceling all scheduled charter flights from Russia throughout the period of December 2013 - March 2014.

Have they considered how the Thai government gonna solve a serious issue like this within the next 2 weeks.

I guess we may expect a statement from the Thai government soon, similar to the one they made some time ago, that Russian and other tourists have to adjust to Thai road behavior.

Case closed.

Oh, I forgot, they can announce a crack down, we haven't had that in the last 2 days.

So, where is Mr. I-fix-it-in-90-days when they really need him?

Jimmy Saville is dead and buried (thankfully) or he would have fixed it (inbetween his kidy fiddling of course)

Alywn, that's not funny.

You have a disturbingly sick sense of humour.

Some good news for once!

i agree when in thailand i notice that most not all eastean europeans ie russian are surly ignorant and think that thais are there to be abused and treated as second class people. get me this, do that, give me. no manners not all but a lot its there new found freedom has gone to there heads and think they are important people with ther money can buy any thing and treat people like <deleted> well in thailand you can buy any thing yes but at least have some manners and respect for others

Edited by mickyboy
  • Like 1

Russian Tourism Group Threatens Thailand Boycott

Call me sarcastic, but isn't this headline what we all (none Russians) have been waiting for? thumbsup.gif

Would be sad though to see all those long-legged high heel hardbodies with their hotpants pulled up their cracks leave, but we simply can't have it all, can we?

Edited by catweazle

I am shocked reading the comments from people hoping the Russians stop coming. If they don't come then local people will lose their jobs in hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions and construction sites

The Russians come in huge numbers and spend money, unlike I would imagine the majority of other nationalities, including people on this site, who came here for sex.

I am shocked reading the comments from people hoping the Russians stop coming. If they don't come then local people will lose their jobs in hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions and construction sites

The Russians come in huge numbers and spend money, unlike I would imagine the majority of other nationalities, including people on this site, who came here for sex.

Hilarious! cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Thanks for making my day!

It appears that some of the people making input to the media, do not see the problem. The process problem lies in the lask of concern of the tour operators, the tourist industry and the government. some people and politicians look at tourist as being the fated lam to be lead to slaughter. There is no concern for the tourist, only the money, there is little respect for others, the only thought is how much can we get.

I am an American Thai, I have passed all the government test. It is interesting to go into the tourist area and listen to what people say. The first question is where are you from. Which hotel do you stay, with this information they can determine your ability to spend, and can calculate how much they can get.

This is the same in every where, whether it is New York, or Sydney. Take the tourist for all you can get. Until there is an actual crackdown on corruption in the tourist trade nothing will happen. It has been going on for 47 years that I know. That is when I first came. It will take a joint effort of all the Embassies to get a change. The American Embassy could start by putting Phuket and Pattaya as off limits to all military. Have them go to the Philippines for R&R, not Thailand. wai2.gifcowboy.gif

Edited by tomross46
  • Like 1

Add HIV to the list of serious dangers here . . .

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/sex-tourism-driving-rise-in-hiv-cases/story-e6frg8ro-1226361801347

I'm struggling to find it at the moment, but I do remember a British Medical Association paper stating that around a quarter of all new HIV infections in British born males were caught in Thailand. That represents a serious public health risk.

Well, feel free to include HIV, but it's nowhere near a quarter, that would be an outrageous number. wink.png

15% of new infections of UK nationals were likely acquired abroad. From those 15 percent, 31% were likely acquired in Thailand, the rest in other places.

So I think you're looking at about 5% of new HIV infections in the UK being acquired in Thailand, especially men. Women who contract HIV abroad are more likely to get infected in Africa and the Caribbean. Actually more UK women get infected abroad than UK men.

Source: http://www.aidsmap.com/Substantial-number-of-HIV-infections-in-UK-born-patients-acquired-abroad/page/2256203/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

It appears that some of the people making input to the media, do not see the problem. The process problem lies in the lasl of concern of the tour operators, the tourist industry and the government. some people and politicians look at tourist as being the fated lam to be lead to slaughter. There is no concern for the tourist, only the money, there is little respect for others, the only thought is how much can we get.

I am an American Thai, I have passed all the government test. It is interesting to go into the tourist area and listen to what people say. The first question is where are you from. Which hotel do you stay, with this information they can determine your ability to spend, and can calculate how much they can get.

This is the same in every where, whether it is New York, or Sydney. Take the tourist for all you can get. Until there is an actual crackdown on corruption in the tourist trade nothing will happen. It has been going on for 47 years that I know. That is when I first came.

I hate to say it but that simply isn't true. In my life I have been fortunate enough to travel to 56 countries as a tourist. It can't be said that all countries will just fleece you and couldn't care. My country, for example, does protect tourists very well. If a tourist reports a crime then the police will, if there is enough evidence, work hard to arrest and put on trial the people concerned. This is true of most European countries. You are not charged spurious prices for transport, museums, accommodation, etc. We ALL pay the high prices....because it keeps the country safe.

Visit the following 2 links and watch the video. You'll see how Britain responds when a tourist is in trouble. We do not need a government to tell us to take action as you will see because we recognise our responsibility.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9134125/Rioter-who-attacked-Malaysian-student-jailed-for-seven-years.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/264982/Mugged-student-gets-VIP-treatment

There is nothing wrong with tourism authorities working to understand how to produce more revenue in the tourism sector, that is their job. In that job most countries I have been to realise that protecting the tourist is highly important to their country's image. If you disappear off the coast of the UK the coast-guard (volunteers, by the way) will launch in ALL weathers (seriously) and rescue you. You will NOT receive a bill. Same as me.

This is a small demonstration of a larger truth. There are plenty of countries all over the world where the tourist is valued highly. Having visited many of them I can tell you that your Southern Neighbour is a world-class example of this (Laos and Myanmar are bad either). Please don't get me wrong, I love living here but I don't have to visit the areas that these tourists do and I do my best to avoid them so I can continue to be happy here. It just shouldn't be that way.

Edited by draftvader

Well, it's actually naive think that Thailand may improve it's road safety because of threats from tourists or tour groups.

I expect the best that Thailand could do would be to pass laws that require higher standards on tour buses that carry tourists, that would do nothing for driving standards in general. Next they could require all tourists to ONLY travel in special buses that adhere to these higher standards, which will mean a fragmentation of pricing and result in higher prices for bus tickets for foreigners compared to Thais.. but with the (possibly illusion, possibly real) benefit of better safety.

Laws are already in place. Enforcement is the problem. Which is lacking mainly due to police corruption.

Which is lacking enough police to enforce the laws. I have ridden my bike all over Thailand the only place I have seen a Thai cop patrolling the highway is between lamphang and Lamphun

Really?? Do you have a full face opaque helmet? Maybe you are not including the established check points and random roadside m/c checks.

Add HIV to the list of serious dangers here . . .

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/sex-tourism-driving-rise-in-hiv-cases/story-e6frg8ro-1226361801347

I'm struggling to find it at the moment, but I do remember a British Medical Association paper stating that around a quarter of all new HIV infections in British born males were caught in Thailand. That represents a serious public health risk.

Well, feel free to include HIV, but it's nowhere near a quarter, that would be an outrageous number. wink.png

15% of new infections of UK nationals were likely acquired abroad. From those 15 percent, 31% were likely acquired in Thailand, the rest in other places.

So I think you're looking at about 5% of new HIV infections in the UK being acquired in Thailand, especially men. Women who contract HIV abroad are more likely to get infected in Africa and the Caribbean. Actually more UK women get infected abroad than UK men.

Source: http://www.aidsmap.com/Substantial-number-of-HIV-infections-in-UK-born-patients-acquired-abroad/page/2256203/

That's it. Quite correct. A quarter acquired abroad were acquired in Thailand.

I've said elsewhere - Thailand is now a mainstream holiday destination and needs to realise this and act accordingly. It still treats visitors as if they are the soldiers and backpackers who first came hear in the 60s and 70s.

They need to put in place the appropriate infrastructure to deal with the vast numbers of visitors. This is big money - 7% of the nation's economy.

So much about tourism in Thailand is all face and no substance......The transport system needs overhauling and regulating from a safety aspect and all aspects of customer service need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

As Thailand increasingly gets a reputation as a shoddy or dangerous destination it will suffer in the long run.

Ill-informed ministers keep mumbling on about going up-market - presumably in the hope that this will eradicate a lot of the bad publicity - crime, danger, poor service etc - but what hope can there ever be of that with the industry still virtually unregulated and everyone scrabbling for the bottom dollar?

Most of the primary roads are fairly well maintained (there are exceptions). But the quality of the roads pale in comparison to the abject reckless stupidity of the drivers, and the complete lack of traffic enforcement by the Thai government (road blocks don't stop dangerous driving). They need traffic cops in patrol cars and they need to learn how to stop vehicles for moving violations. Then start citing Thai drivers for: speeding, reckless driving, driving on the wrong side of the street, failure to stop, failure to yield, failure to maintain the driving lane, and other stupid reckless driving that drivers are now allowed to get away with, but would get you a citation in less than about 15 minutes in a Western country.

but would get you a citation in less than about 15 minutes in a Western country.

Yessss and that is one of the good reasons for me to live here biggrin.png Viva la libertadclap2.gif Viva Thailand clap2.gif

Yes, it is nice to have the freedom and liberty to die or be maimed on the public roadways. Freedom and liberty is tempered and well served by adherence to the basic laws of public safety IMO.

Live Long and Prosper my Friend.

Keep it simple... Take responsibility yourself in the basic law of being aware and using common sense. You may be able to adjust for others inattention on the roads. In general.. I find that Thai people "share' the roads ,,, not "own" them because some law gives then the right of way.

Sex? Where? Not here surely, it's illegal...

Hilarious! cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Thanks for making my day!

Ridler confused me.. But I guess his name is a clue???? Is not sex and procreation the sole driving force of life?

After twenty odd years here I thought I was immune to the regular reports of road, rail, boat and plane accidents. My wife and son are travelling down to Phuket next week and I've insisted that they fly. Flying seems to be the safest option. I hope.

Sex? Where? Not here surely, it's illegal...

Just like gambling