Suthep's call for 1 million protesters may not be what it seems

webfact

Suthep's call for 1 million protesters may not be what it seems
Attayuth Bootsripoom

BANGKOK: -- SUTHEP THAUGSUBAN has boldly announced that by Sunday the number of anti-government protesters at Democracy Monument would grow to a million.

Suthep, who resigned as a Democrat MP to lead the protest and who has been camping at Democracy Monument for two weeks, surprised many with the ambitious announcement on the anticipated number of protesters.

Many people wondered why Suthep dared to make such a claim when the number of protesters had been on the decline after the government retreated from its earlier plan to push for enactment of the amnesty bill. The government has done everything possible to show that it has given up the amnesty effort, leaving groups of protesters lacking a common cause to fight for.

The amnesty bill was killed very quickly, leaving Suthep lacking enough time to rally his demonstrators to protest against other causes. Moreover, middle-class people, who form the main army for the fight, were already happy that the government had retreated. They were not ready to join the fight to topple the government yet.

And when Suthep announced measures of civil disobedience, such as a work stoppage and the boycotting of goods and services of the Shinawatra family, people balked. The number of demonstrators sharply decreased because many disagreed with the measures and saw Suthep as having overplayed the situation.

Also, coining slogans about trying to topple the "Thaksin regime" only confused people. The idea of a Thaksin regime is rather abstract; people are unsure about how it could be eradicated. In other words, the protest leaders could not convey their feelings about the issue in such a way that the demonstrators could visualise them.

So why did Suthep announce he would bring one million protesters to join the rally?

Is it possible he said so because he was seeking an excuse to end the protest? In fact, his time to lead the protest is running out. The parliamentary session will expire at the end of this month and all Thais are looking forward to celebrating His Majesty the King's birthday on December 5. Suthep will have to end the rally earlier than that, or at least vacate Rajdamnoen Road for the celebrations to be prepared.

Party sources said the Democrats have accepted the reality that the chance to win with this demonstration is almost zero. They knew that the number of protesters would never amount to one million. So, this may provide a legitimate excuse for Suthep to end the rally and turn to other more effective issues to fight for.

Anyway, Democrat leaders are still keeping their fingers crossed that the censure debate will be a turning point that stirs more people to join in the protest - while at the same time hoping that the censure debate itself will not be allowed, rather than wishing for it to proceed.

For this reason, the Democrats used the tactic of refraining to comply with the rules - they declined to state the allegations against the two censured targets, the prime minister and the interior minister.

The Democrats are trying the same tactic they used in the censure debate last year.

Unlike last year, this time it appears the Pheu Thai Party will not allow the censure debate to go ahead if the Democrats decline to state the allegations. Pheu Thai has given a deadline for the Democrats to submit more documents related to the allegations by 4.30pm todayThursday.

If the censure motion is not put on the agenda because the Democrats decline to comply with the rules, the Democrats will be happy.

The action will announce to the public that the government would not allow the opposition to hold a censure debate.

The Democrats hope that this point will prompt a lot of people to turn out for their demonstration.

It remains to be seen whether Pheu Thai will dash the Democrats' hopes by compromising on the censure debate once again.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-21

Didn't Suthep already say that they would leave at the end of the month to allow time to prepare for the Kings birthday?

He also said he would have the government out by 24 Nov then changed it to 29th as Chalerm was supposed to sort out the protests by the 30th. Oh my brain hurts.

There are a lot of games played here, its stupid in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

The funny thing is that all the Dems supporters here strongly believe that the Dems are not playing games. They are just honest politicians trying go protect the country against the devil :lol:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The funny thing is that all the Dems supporters here strongly believe that the Dems are not playing games. They are just honest politicians trying go protect the country against the devil laugh.png

I think if you took a poll on here, you'd find that what you call "Dem supporters" are simply people who actually see the bigger picture of what is going on here, and they don't actually "support" any of the parties. As the "reds" are in power currently and are trying to do stupid, illegal, immoral, unethical things, that's what people are criticising. When the other side is in power, it'll switch over to criticising them, "if" they try to do the same kinds of things as the current Govt.

I personally think they are all liars, cheats and thieves, purely out to line their own pockets and those of their friends and families, and with very little regard or respect for the "common people", regardless of which shirt they currently wear or which "party" they are members of.

I'm wouldn't be so curt to accuse Abhisit of being a liar, cheat and thief, purely out to line his own pockets and those of his family.

He, IMHO, is a million times more a dignitary than any member of the PTP. So if he has any tainted prior, then it only goes to show how low the PTP really is, in comparison. That makes it quite clear on which side I'd rather be, given the choice, and currently there is no other choice.

-mel.

• Like 1

The funny thing is that all the Dems supporters here strongly believe that the Dems are not playing games. They are just honest politicians trying go protect the country against the devil laugh.png

I think if you took a poll on here, you'd find that what you call "Dem supporters" are simply people who actually see the bigger picture of what is going on here, and they don't actually "support" any of the parties. As the "reds" are in power currently and are trying to do stupid, illegal, immoral, unethical things, that's what people are criticising. When the other side is in power, it'll switch over to criticising them, "if" they try to do the same kinds of things as the current Govt.

I personally think they are all liars, cheats and thieves, purely out to line their own pockets and those of their friends and families, and with very little regard or respect for the "common people", regardless of which shirt they currently wear or which "party" they are members of.

I'm wouldn't be so curt to accuse Abhisit of being a liar, cheat and thief, purely out to line his own pockets and those of his family.

He, IMHO, is a million times more a dignitary than any member of the PTP. So if he has any tainted prior, then it only goes to show how low the PTP really is, in comparison. That makes it quite clear on which side I'd rather be, given the choice, and currently there is no other choice.

-mel.

Whilst I agree Abhisit on the surface appears better than most, you only have to look at who his backers and supporters are and I stand by what I stated above.

They say, better the 'Devil you know then the Devil you don't'

Since when can any word coming out of Suthep's mouth be trusted ?

Yea! are we inviting bigger problems if they become the new power? will it be power to the elite again and nothing for the poor? will it be all words and no action as what happened the last time? or will there be equality. That is the Big Question. is the real reason for this problem, that their pockets are running dry? or is this a personal vendetta. or are they terrified of the wrath of the man when he comes back? think wisely guys!

• Like 1

Didn't Suthep already say that they would leave at the end of the month to allow time to prepare for the Kings birthday?

So what? Didn't he tell over and over again during his Hitler impersonation (close your eyes when he is on TV and orate and picture Nazi Germany with a tiny man in uniform and a small moustache and you notice that de Führer can speak Thai).

Suthep is a born loser. People do not like him, not even his own (former) supporters. He and his cronies are ten times worse than Thaksin. Thaksin took not only care of his own wallet but at least understood that in order to do so he needed to improve the standard of living of millions of people. Suthep goes in the middle of a high tourist season in overdrive. What means less business in Bangkok, empty hotels and than the dumb *** ask for a National strike and for businesses not to pay tax. If it would have worked why should the red shirts and their businesses pay tax? To fund the army? How many times did Suthep claim he would organise a mars of a million people? Agreed, education became so bad in thailand under the rule of the elite that he could have claimed that the decimal point was overlooked.

Birthdays or other occasions are always used by losers to explain why it did not worked out.

• Like 2

everything depends if the Democrats want to or not.

The South is furious and they can mobilize them and bring them to Bangkok.

Maybe not a Million but 500-600K.

But having hundreds of thousands furious Southerners is a big risk. a small percentage of crazy ones can be a pretty large amount of people and cause that all to get complete out of control.

I don't know if they want to increase the stakes that high.

So what? Didn't he tell over and over again during his Hitler impersonation (close your eyes when he is on TV and orate and picture Nazi Germany with a tiny man in uniform and a small moustache and you notice that de Führer can speak Thai).

Suthep is a born loser. People do not like him, not even his own (former) supporters. He and his cronies are ten times worse than Thaksin. Thaksin took not only care of his own wallet but at least understood that in order to do so he needed to improve the standard of living of millions of people. Suthep goes in the middle of a high tourist season in overdrive. What means less business in Bangkok, empty hotels and than the dumb *** ask for a National strike and for businesses not to pay tax. If it would have worked why should the red shirts and their businesses pay tax? To fund the army? How many times did Suthep claim he would organise a mars of a million people? Agreed, education became so bad in thailand under the rule of the elite that he could have claimed that the decimal point was overlooked.

Birthdays or other occasions are always used by losers to explain why it did not worked out.

Come on...Hitler impersonation.....

Come on...Hitler impersonation.....

That sort of thinking show Tragickingdom's tragic mindset.

With morons like Suthep and Abhisit the democrat party will keep on losing elections. Asking for a general strike when people get paid by the day, asking for a tax strike that hurts the country and a Bangkok governor so incompetent that he supports openly anti government protests and even attend as fellow speaker, though not like as Suthep with a tiny moustache.

Where the Democrat Party could have made huge electoral gains, they have made themselves the laughing stock on Thailand once again. Claiming that a million people will attend while you speak on a daily basis to less than 2000 people. The only reason that so many people turned out to be against the amnesty was not just because of Thaksin but many many more did not want to see that mass murderers like Suthep and Abhisit got away with ordering a shoot to kill policy without going to jail for it and many others did not want to see hundreds of corrupt officials walk away.

The idiot within the PT who hijacked the bill and made it a general amnesty should be beheaded (sort of) at Central world as he betrayed everyone. Defeating a bill does not mean that people vote for you. Even in the best of times when Suthep could ride a perfect storm he would be unable to gather more than 50,000 people.

Gosh! What a poor loser.

Your red boys lost - get over it.

Savaged by old man Suthep who is now a folk hero

If the reds ever determine to come out and fight the Constitutional Court, they'd better make sure they can muster 9 people to make it even

If any western country in the world would all of a sudden tell their children from age 3 onwards, "You are an adult now! You can do whatever you want without any consequences, and we adults will just step back and wait and see what happens...", the true adults in that very country would get a rough idea on how it feels to live in Thailand...

It always amazes me that things are still working relatively smooth here despite all the mayhem that unfolds in the political realm of Thailand. Feels like a tv set that is completely unplugged is still running, displaying a movie, and you just wonder how. ermm.gif

Edited by catweazle

Well... Seems even the Führer's not a fan of Dear Leader cheesy.gif

Ironically, the movie is called "Der Untergang" or "The Downfall" This could be the downfall of Thaksin, depending on how the Dems and anti government protesters handle the last weeks of the year.

Certainly they should evacuate the area to enable preparations for Dec 5th celebrations.

They can resume after Dec 10th or about the time they start to construct Chalerm's execution scaffold.

post-9891-0-43476100-1385019531_thumb.jpxph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.-kLhrEOh0G.webppost-9891-0-23536300-1385019755.jpg

Sorry, but we don't decide between Mafia or Yakusa, maybe one smell more ugly than the other, but it is both s**...whistling.gif

No you decide between someone who has stolen a chocolate bar in the supermarket and and mass murder.

One might be not complete clean, but the other is a big danger.

everything depends if the Democrats want to or not.

The South is furious and they can mobilize them and bring them to Bangkok.

Maybe not a Million but 500-600K.

But having hundreds of thousands furious Southerners is a big risk. a small percentage of crazy ones can be a pretty large amount of people and cause that all to get complete out of control.

I don't know if they want to increase the stakes that high.

Wife says everyone is going tomorrow, I'll miss her. cheesy.gif

However it turns out it's everyone except her. rolleyes.gif