HSBC Survey Finds Thailand Leads the Way for Expats

webfact

The top spots for making friends, getting rich and raising kids
Thailand leads the way when it comes to quality of life and a good social scene, while Switzerland is top for making money and Germany for raising children
By Elizabeth Roberts

LONDON: -- Thailand is the easiest place in the world for expats to make friends and have an active social life, a survey has revealed.

If the focus is on earning potential and disposable income, however, Switzerland and China are the best places to head.

For those with families – or who are planning to start one – Germany and Singapore top the charts for ease of raising children abroad.

The research was done by HSBC as part of its sixth annual Expat Explorer survey.

The first section of the survey ranked destinations for the expat experience they provide, in terms of quality of life, ease of setting up and integration.

In second place after Thailand was Bahrain, followed by China, the Cayman Islands and Australia.

When questioned about how easy they found it to make friends, 76 per cent of expats in Thailand said it was easy – the highest percentage in the world.

Next in the friendship rankings were Singapore and Taiwan (63 per cent) and China (59 per cent).

Those were the only countries that beat the global average, which showed that 57 per cent of expats overall found it easy to make friends when they moved.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/before-you-go/10414584/The-top-spots-for-making-friends-getting-rich-and-raising-kids.html

-- The Telegraph 2013-11-21

Survey done a few years ago ??? If you did one -NOW and asked the expats -are you happy the way things are going in Thailand/do you feel comfortable totally/do the government take care of you/ does the British government give you your full pension---No NO

If you could would you consider moving out the country---many would say yes.

If your reasonably happy here BUT are considering an alternative I think another yes. Is you money and belongings safe here-not really 100%.

So HSBC with not being here ---business not good ??? not safe???? problems more than before YES.

• Like 1

...why so humble didn't we forget some more here? Getting killed in road accidents, falling off balconies, get washed away after a boat accident or losing limbs in a derailed train? Just to mention a few.

Happy ending massages that end sadly! whistling.gif

The usual foolish responses about Thailand being bad. If it is so bad move boys or at least change your location in Thailand to a better place where you will be happy nah being happy for a few here is a non-starter

A normal response from you-as usual.

Most people are happy here that is why they stay for the time being.

The answers are there, truth to date, you don't see it because your situ suits--then fine. Posters are pointing out why this survey was carried out by a company that abandoned Thailand ??? The other worry is the effects of political mood that CAN affect ex pats.

Maybe you are one of those when it comes to the crunch (you cannot see it though) will be scrambling at the last minute.

Warnings are there for ex pats, weather they take them is up to the individual.

Thailand being so popular with its customers, of whom I must confess I'm one, this report rather begs the question why did HSBC recently pull out of Thailand completely ?

Not exactly good for customer-relations, was it, guys ! facepalm.gif

I think HSBC would be surprised by your sweeping generalisation to learn that it recently pulled out of Thailand completely, as it didn't.

Survey done a few years ago ??? If you did one -NOW and asked the expats -are you happy the way things are going in Thailand/do you feel comfortable totally/do the government take care of you/ does the British government give you your full pension---No NO

If your reasonably happy here BUT are considering an alternative I think another yes. Is you money and belongings safe here-not really 100%.

So HSBC with not being here ---business not good ??? not safe???? problems more than before YES.

Instead of spending all that time and money on surveys, they should've just asked you.

Maybe, at least they would have got a better cross the board response, NOT this response from a get out quick company.

Problem with these surveys My take on them all, they never ask the right questions to the people who would feed them a general experienced answer.

WHO do they ask, where do these persons live, ???? if you go ask someone in a say a red village-you will get a red answer, or down south Thailand you will get a pro Dem answer. Surveys here especially are a joke (example 1,760 persons across 76 areas) OH please.

By the way I was only giving an honest answer---sorry if it made you YAWN.--------not much money and time went into this survey.

The survey was done this year according to the report, not a few years ago, and HSBC still has banking operations in Thailand.

Thailand being so popular with its customers, of whom I must confess I'm one, this report rather begs the question why did HSBC recently pull out of Thailand completely ?

I think HSBC would be surprised by your sweeping generalisation to learn that it recently pulled out of Thailand completely, as it didn't.

Completely----if not what is there left ????

The survey was done this year according to the report, not a few years ago, and HSBC still has banking operations in Thailand.

I didn't say it was done a few years ago, question mark there somewhere. In stead of trying to correct people and looking for any typo or other small mistakes acting like a retired schoolteacher, MAKE a comment on the topic will you for a change and stop the clever style answers.

Posters are here to comment on topics and discuss them, NOT to pick at others posts, try contributing a little please and let us answer your feelings on topics.

Please therefore tell us what banking here they still offer and where??? you mentioned it and I wish to know--although I do not use them.

Edited by ginjag

...why so humble didn't we forget some more here? Getting killed in road accidents, falling off balconies, get washed away after a boat accident or losing limbs in a derailed train? Just to mention a few.

Happy ending massages that end sadly! whistling.gif

Maybe he hit rock bottom: a bad beginning because she was unwilling!!! 555

HSBC ended all banking facilities for their private customers in Thailand (me included) - as far as I know, all their commercial banking activities continue unchanged here.

Same here - although they said they'd keep me on if I kept a minimum relationship balance of around US$90k with them....

So why on earth they are surveying expats in Thailand is beyond me!

This has been hammered on many other forums and in particular, Linkedin. HSBC surveyed its own account holders and executives and came to this hideous conclusion. If they had carried out a proper survey which included tens of thousands of underpaid teachers then they would have had a different conclusion. As stated, HSBC pulled out of Thailand because of the restructed practices. No one comes to work here to make money. Such surveys not only mislead but lack in credibility and are basically insulting the intelligence of those of us who live here. Anyone that believes this needs to change their medication.

• Like 1

With respect, there used to be a couple of branches of HSBC down in Bangkok, then they closed them in 2012, rather than expanding & opening branches in other major cities like Phuket/Pattaya/Chiang Mai & so on.

Their consumer business in Thailand was reported as being sold to Bank of Ayudhya & Krungsri Group.

Google is your friend ... Q.E.D.

Edited by Ricardo

No 'likes'.

Got the message about the veracity of your guesswork about other's views?

Don't forget getting killed by bedbug poison, or having mosquito coils put into your drinks.

• Like 1

I would happily move to my place in Spain but wifey and family ties...

• Like 1