HSBC Survey Finds Thailand Leads the Way for Expats

webfact

Survey done a few years ago ??? If you did one -NOW and asked the expats -are you happy the way things are going in Thailand/do you feel comfortable totally/do the government take care of you/ does the British government give you your full pension---No NO

If you could would you consider moving out the country---many would say yes.

If your reasonably happy here BUT are considering an alternative I think another yes. Is you money and belongings safe here-not really 100%.

So HSBC with not being here ---business not good ??? not safe???? problems more than before YES.

Like all surveys, its the questions that sells the result. They of course asked none of those questions (though as far as pensions goes, it the same for all non-EU destinations I believe - so would be the same in China or Singers too). Thailand is an easy place for expats to make friends - either with other expats - or locals. That is what was asked, and I reckon the same result would be returned today too.

Surveys rarely ask open ended questions like "are you happy with the way things are going" because it is impossible to draw any conclusions from negative answers - "No" could mean anything, from: "can't find a girl", to "Price of som tam is up 3 baht", to "can't get veggiemite here", to "I'm sh!t scared there's gonna be another coup that does not affect me in the slightest - like the last one"...and so on.

I think also that most, however loudly they moan/protest, when asked if they would leave if they could, would say "no" (or at least mean "no" even if they said "Yes"). There is plenty to moan about here, and plenty to moan about at home too - or anywhere else for that matter (no heaven on Earth in reality) - its just different things to moan about, some like to moan/some like to be apologists and defenders/some just get on with it and decide on pro and cons whether its time to leave or to sit back and smell the roses.

Survey done a few years ago ??? If you did one -NOW and asked the expats -are you happy the way things are going in Thailand/do you feel comfortable totally/do the government take care of you/ does the British government give you your full pension---No NO

If your reasonably happy here BUT are considering an alternative I think another yes. Is you money and belongings safe here-not really 100%.

So HSBC with not being here ---business not good ??? not safe???? problems more than before YES.

Like all surveys, its the questions that sells the result. They of course asked none of those questions (though as far as pensions goes, it the same for all non-EU destinations I believe - so would be the same in China or Singers too). Thailand is an easy place for expats to make friends - either with other expats - or locals. That is what was asked, and I reckon the same result would be returned today too.

Surveys rarely ask open ended questions like "are you happy with the way things are going" because it is impossible to draw any conclusions from negative answers - "No" could mean anything, from: "can't find a girl", to "Price of som tam is up 3 baht", to "can't get veggiemite here", to "I'm sh!t scared there's gonna be another coup that does not affect me in the slightest - like the last one"...and so on.

I think also that most, however loudly they moan/protest, when asked if they would leave if they could, would say "no" (or at least mean "no" even if they said "Yes"). There is plenty to moan about here, and plenty to moan about at home too - or anywhere else for that matter (no heaven on Earth in reality) - its just different things to moan about, some like to moan/some like to be apologists and defenders/some just get on with it and decide on pro and cons whether its time to leave or to sit back and smell the roses.

I smile a lot, moan a bit, still sit back and smell the roses. For now. take every day as it comes more now though, unlike my other 30 some years here when things were far more comfortable.

I smile a lot, moan a bit, still sit back and smell the roses. For now. take every day as it comes more now though, unlike my other 30 some years here when things were far more comfortable.

Me too - but not 30 years (was still in high school then :)) - but remember it back in the mid 90s. Not so different, more expensive for sure, and Thais not so happy I think and rarely see a school kids stop and stare at the white face walking past. Politeness is not as common as it once was either - but same,. same the world over I guess :( --- or maybe I'm just starting to turn into one of the Grumpy Old Men (Jack Lemmon though please - not Walter :))

I would like Thailand more if the British government paid index linked Pensions to its citizens who live in Thailand like other countries do. The cost of living goes up in Thailand ,too.

That's a never-ending campaign.

Inflation or whatever linked increases are allowed to UK pensioners in Commonwealth countries so why not the rest of the world?

Stay on the case with the rest of us.

Or get it paid into your UK bank account. They don't seem to have people or systems smart enough to pick up where you live!

Edited by Bpuumike