Hospital Ignorance

Rooo

I suffer from Emphysema & asthma. Very easy to catch infections due to lungs condition.

I have an infection at the moment & find it very difficult to breathe & pains in the chest.

So I go to a major hospital, advise the reception of my condition & thatI need emergency treatment ( eg ' Oxygen, antibiotic drip etc...}

Fine I get sent to emergency on my own, my file follows, as I have been there previously for the same condition & was treated very efficiently.

Male nurse lays me on a bed, takes my blood pressure , temp etc...... proceeds to ask me questions.

Do you want an XRAY, a blood test ? I'm a bit baffled here.

He asks me my symptoms, he has the file, he can see what treatment I need, he asks me if I have chest pains, yes I have, OK doctor will come.

30 minutes later my breathing is getting labored, where is the doctor? Seeing to other patients.

50 minutes where is the doctor? Seeing other patients, where? Outside in the general admission area.

So I flipped, I could have been attended to ages ago, went to reception & asked why do they have an emergency unit? Why does one get treated like that? In the whole hospital they have one doctor to look after outpatients & emergency?

What happens if I had suffered a heart attack?

That's the service you get from a private hospital here & no it's not the swanky one.

Sorry for the rant, just pointing out a very dangerous situation.

It's on par with what amounted to 900 quid for 3 days B&B and a badly damaged airway (hence yoghurt only @ THB 3k a pop) & no operation for which the patient was admitted in the first place; but that was the swanky one!

I'd offer you a cuddle Rooo, but Nod's beaten me to it:)

Edited by evadgib

It's on par with what amounted to 900 quid for 3 days B&B and a badly damaged airway (hence yoghurt only @ THB 3k a pop) & no operation for which the patient was admitted in the first place; but that was the swanky one!

Thanks biggrin.png , they did that to me once at the one you mentioned, burned my nasal passage with oxygen 35K's worth + 5 star accommodation in ICU, total 97K, just to discover as I was leaving after 3 days that I had a severe sinus infection.

This morning's episode , they left me for the best part of 40 minutes after check in, laying on a bed, curtains drawn & no one checking on you.

one thing that could probably help you, in my home I have an oxygen bottle complete with everything needed to add albuterol for inhaling. You may consider doing same for an emergency. You also knew that you had a sinus and or bronchial infection and could simply go buy some suitable antibiotic. I would bet money you have had this problem many times.

Just trying to help, not criticize.

Shit i can imagine that the more fustrating it became the harder it became to breath.

I shall never work this place out at time. Hope u got better quick after that long wait. I would put a complaint in writing and if you get no reasonable response then go online.

If these places do wrong then they need to be outed to save someone else the greif. or as u say a hart attack.

Just FYI bupa still have not paid me yet. i have to wait 90 days for them to check only hopsitals on samui. Crazy !!!

They want to check i am not lying that i did not have this illnes before.

I offered my National innsurence number from the UK as all my UK records should be on there.

but no they do not want that. they only care if i lied to hospitals in samui. Strange people!

one thing that could probably help you, in my home I have an oxygen bottle complete with everything needed to add albuterol for inhaling. You may consider doing same for an emergency. You also knew that you had a sinus and or bronchial infection and could simply go buy some suitable antibiotic. I would bet money you have had this problem many times.

Just trying to help, not criticize.

When I went to the other hospital a few years ago, I didn't know what I had.

Present time, I can't administer large doses of antibiotics via a drip to myself, I need medical practioners to do that.

Thank you for the advice anyway.

That's the service you get from a private hospital here & no it's not the swanky one.

I know you/we can't "name and shame"...but can you give us a clue to which one? wink.png

No.rolleyes.gif

I know you/we can't "name and shame"...but can you give us a clue to which one? wink.png

No.rolleyes.gif

How about we just get the first and second letter? rolleyes.gif

PS: very sorry to hear what happened and hope you feel better.

Edited by saweden

You could have got a bag of meth for 1000 baht. That's what they used to give asthmatics before salbutamol was invented.

seriously?

I used to have chroic asthma as a kid. and other kids used to suck on the ventalin pipes to get high or is it w awinde up?

Thanks biggrin.png , they did that to me once at the one you mentioned, burned my nasal passage with oxygen 35K's worth + 5 star accommodation in ICU, total 97K, just to discover as I was leaving after 3 days that I had a severe sinus infection.

This morning's episode , they left me for the best part of 40 minutes after check in, laying on a bed, curtains drawn & no one checking on you.

Maybe a 'pretend' collapse on the floor in full view of the other high-paying Thai visitors would get some rapid attention.

Otherwise change hospitals. Do the Mod Gods allow you to say which hospital you were at?

Good luck with it and home oxygen in your condition is a good option.

You could have got a bag of meth for 1000 baht. That's what they used to give asthmatics before salbutamol was invented.

seriously?

I used to have chroic asthma as a kid. and other kids used to suck on the ventalin pipes to get high or is it w awinde up?

Ventolin is the brand name of Salbutamol. It wasn't invented until 1968. Prior to that, amphetamine and/or methamphetamine were the primary method of treating Asthma. In those days, it was called "Benzedrine". Amphetamines can still be prescribed now in some countries.

Most stimulants work as bronchodilators and therefore will relieve Asthma symptoms. Dexedrine (still prescribed for ADHD) works well, as does Cocaine.

http://www.chemheritage.org/discover/media/magazine/articles/30-1-fast-times-the-life-death-and-rebirth-of-amphetamine.aspx

Edited by pokerspiv

No.rolleyes.gif

PS: very sorry to hear what happened and hope you feel better.

If he was arrogant, condescending, borderline rude and blatantly unhelpful then it sounds like a young thai doctor i spoke to at Bangkok Samui Hospitalsmile.png

I know a bit far for you Chawang / Bophut guys to go, but for me I find the Samui Hospital in Nathon, very efficient.... thumbsup.gif

It's not nearly as bad in there as some people seem to think.... I had to go there every day for a week, for an anti-biotic drip,. in the emergency department... As I sat there, people would come in ambulances and were dealt with very quickly ...both Thai's and Farangs,

I've had to go in for a weeks stay my self a few years ago, and same same.... was in a bed within half and hour of arriving ! Even the week stay there was not that bad....wink.png

Sorry to hear of your problem Rooo... hope sorted!

I know a bit far for you Chawang / Bophut guys to go, but for me I find the Samui Hospital in Nathon, very efficient.... thumbsup.gif

It's not nearly as bad in there as some people seem to think.... I had to go there every day for a week, for an anti-biotic drip,. in the emergency department... As I sat there, people would come in ambulances and were dealt with very quickly ...both Thai's and Farangs,

I've had to go in for a weeks stay my self a few years ago, and same same.... was in a bed within half and hour of arriving ! Even the week stay there was not that bad....wink.png

Sorry to hear of your problem Rooo... hope sorted!

Agreed Jimmy, Samui Hospital is fine. Good doctors and pleasant staff/nurses. Private rooms excellent value for money. And they didn't try to flog me loads of meds at outrageously over inflated prices

Only aspect i don't like is the time taken to be seen for an out patient visit due to it being a very busy hospital.

• Like 1

It ends with ospital. smile.png

You've been reading too many of Big C's responses around here ...tongue.pngbiggrin.png PS !

As for Samui Hospital, generally one would think going in for a doctors visit, all these people... in line, w00t.gif........ but rarely is the wait to leave after blood tests and seeing doctor pills in hand, more than about three hours.... at a reasonable cost too... not a bad area to walk around and kill time outside either... right on the seafront! ... thumbsup.gif

I have waited longer in emergency rooms longer than that... in western a country... that shall remain nameless..wink.png

The hospital in question contacted me today after I fired off an email to them to contact me.

Explained to her how inept the male nurse was in trying to diagnose me etc...............................

Nice pleasant lady, but what can she say besides sorry. At least it brought the problem to the forefront, might help others.

• Like 1

Another thing the lady tried to explain to me today,that between 11&12 it's lunch time & they are short staffed.

So a bit of advice forget about having an emergency at this time, you have been warned.

Off to Samui International in the morning to see what can be done, otherwise fly to BKK.

• Like 2