rice cutting ,by hand 20 rye with food given ,also threshing rice

ian1949

I can't get a clear answer from the locals. The International Rice Research Institute, say 40 to 80 man hrs per hectare (a little over 6 rai) start to finish by hand. I wasn't here last year when my wife cut our red rice. She said it went slow due to the ground still being wet, hard to move. Other than that factor I don't know why the large man hr span.

Edited by bunnydrops

I can't get a clear answer from the locals. The International Rice Research Institute, say 40 to 80 man hrs per hectare (a little over 6 rai) start to finish by hand. I wasn't here last year when my wife cut our red rice. She said it went slow due to the ground still being wet, hard to move. Other than that factor I don't know why the large man hr span.

Those numbers look seriously flowed. 5 people 4 days for 8 rai. That's 160 mhr's.

Last year we cut 5 rai by hand and threshed the lot by hand...cutting took 5 days with good men and threshing took another 3 1/2 days and we were buggered!

300 baht a day and food and lao cow in the evening, I'd allow 1&1/2 day per rai cut and threshed for 4 men @ B300 a day each...IMO

OP the 350B is on the high side. You should be able to get workers at 300B that is now standard. Doing it by hand it's hard to give an estimate.

It depends on how good the workers are and if there is still allot of water etc. I would figure about 3-4 guys and you will be lucky if they get 2-3 rai done a day.

We use the combine and pay 300B per rai, much well worth it. However you need to find them when they are in your village and most of the time you need to schedule ASAP when you see them otherwise they are all booked up and have no time as they have to move on. Luckily we know an owner of the combine and he does our rice every year. he calls us two weeks before he comes to our area.

Last year we cut 5 rai by hand and threshed the lot by hand...cutting took 5 days with good men and threshing took another 3 1/2 days and we were buggered!

300 baht a day and food and lao cow in the evening, I'd allow 1&1/2 day per rai cut and threshed for 4 men @ B300 a day each...IMO

If I'm doing my figuring right that comes out to about 1800 a rai. That is about the same figure as I quoted above at 40 man hrs a hectare. 6 2/3 a rai, or about 2000 baht a rai. A local farmer told me today that he would expect to pay about 20,000 for his 14 rai, but I don't think he is figuring in his own labor. Still a no show for the harvester :(