visa in expired passport

OK to end the story, gthai consulate in hK was quite clear, If passport cancelled then so is the visa, need to completely reapply to get into the country. If you are in the country already and get new one, then they can move it over in thailand. One point they made is that the visa is on one passort number but then coming in on different, this was not a new question to them./

US consulate very cool, they just said you lose your fee, at 90 days we'll send back to US the one they are holding for me now and it will be shredded, I can then come in and getting extra pages if I need them, etc.

Again this is Thailand so probably different answers different places and of course different answers at the border but I not risking it.

wjs

Sorry but you have been fed absolute nonsense!

A valid visa remains valid even when the passport containing that visa has expired/been replaced!

You got good advice here but its your choice as to what you wish to believe!smile.png

OK to end the story, gthai consulate in hK was quite clear, If passport cancelled then so is the visa, need to completely reapply to get into the country. If you are in the country already and get new one, then they can move it over in thailand. One point they made is that the visa is on one passort number but then coming in on different, this was not a new question to them./

US consulate very cool, they just said you lose your fee, at 90 days we'll send back to US the one they are holding for me now and it will be shredded, I can then come in and getting extra pages if I need them, etc.

Again this is Thailand so probably different answers different places and of course different answers at the border but I not risking it.

wjs

They are wrong. There are lots of people that have visas in their old passports and many enter the country every day using both passports.

They are also wrong about moving it over at any place here. A visa is not ever moved.

Instead of wasting the $110 you should pick-up your passport and try using your visa. I am certain you will not have a problem. But if you did have a problem you would still get a 30 day entry.

wjs

They are wrong. There are lots of people that have visas in their old passports and many enter the country every day using both passports.

They are also wrong about moving it over at any place here. A visa is not ever moved.

Instead of wasting the $110 you should pick-up your passport and try using your visa. I am certain you will not have problem. But if you did have a problem you would still get a 30 day entry.

There would not be a "problem" as I and , I am sure, many others, can testify.

wjs

Instead of wasting the $110 you should pick-up your passport and try using your visa. I am certain you will not have a problem. But if you did have a problem you would still get a 30 day entry.

There would not be a "problem" as I and , I am sure, many others, can testify.

I think that I is what I have said also many times already.

I mentioned the the 30 day entry to ease his worries in case he was thinking they could deny him entry.

wjs

You are qute happy to take extremely poor advice from a Thai consulate, that will know very little about Thai Immigration Procedures and Processes (note that Thai borders are run by a different government dept [Police] than the consular facilities [MFA]), but you post a good question on this forum but will not accept the generally good advice you are given.

So you are proposing to throw away a 3,500 THB US passport to 'save' a 2,000 THB Visa (which by the way would remain valid with a new passport and does not actually need saving).

cheesy.gif

Airport or land border they have a stamp that they put in the front page of your new passport and fill in with the visa details from your old passport.

The visa as such does not get 'transferred' only the details, perhaps that's where the confusion is arising, on the expressions only.

post-98036-0-22989400-1385527185_thumb.j

Edited by overherebc

Airport or land border they have a stamp that they put in the front page of your new passport and fill in with the visa details from your old passport.

The visa as such does not get 'transferred' only the details, perhaps that's where the confusion is arising, on the expressions only.

I can confirm this. This stamp takes up a nearly a whole page and contains only the details of the visa.

Also when my I got a new Canadian passport in Bangkok the old one was cancelled with the corner cut off and a stamp placed in the first page which is reserved for "Endorsements and Limitations". The stamp reads:

"This Passport in which insufficient visa pages remain has been succeeded by passport number BC123456 and may be used when presented with the succeeding passport for the sole purpose of preserving any visa of another country that may continue to be valid."

So when a new passport is issued due to imminent expiry or insufficient pages it does not get cancelled at all. It get's succeeded by a new one. The visas in the old Passport remain valid.

Also when one must travel with two passports due to this type of situation be very careful with the Thai immigration officer upon entry/exit. No stamps go in the old passport, only the new passport. The front line immigration officer may not know this. It happened to me leaving Laos and I had to go back and get the stamp in the old passport cancelled and then put in the new one.

Also always check the stamps for the correct dates. I've been given 30 days when I should have got 90, and I've also got 6.5 months when I should have had three. Don't forget to smile.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice on the stamp in new, but too late for me, problem I have is that where I am going the immigration guy has already caused complete nonsense problems when my one son got new O visa for the year, claimed he neede to transfer the old one first then have it cancelled, so bottom line is I do not want to give him the slightest excuse as I go to get the extension after the first 90 days.

So going to stick with the conservative advice, maybe our firend in Tokyo will be very relieved as he is already had his cancelled.

Great use of the Forum, thanks everybody!!