visa in expired passport

Have 90 day O visa, took me a trip to KL to get, I am now going to Hong Kong to pick up my new passport, not converting to one year O visa (as dependant of child-student) until another month +,

Question is how best to deal with this?

1. Just come back in with old and new passport, having them use the visa in the old passport (which will be stamped cancelled) but stamping in the new (they did this for one of my children locally at the 90 day notice, didn't seem to bother them).

2. Go to the HK consulate and ask them to bless this and/or transfer the visa over without going through the whole process again (which I can't do as HK would have never given me the O visa to start with)?

I could kick myself as I really didnt need to get the need passport (USA) this early but was updating my sons so though I was being efficient, then coudln't get back to pick up before I needed to do the O visa run to KL.

Any wisdom out there?

You will need to use both passports.

Visas are not transfered.

If your visa is for a single entry you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your entry valid.

Why did you apply for your passport in HK instead of here?

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks for the replies, I not in Bangkok, in HK a lot so much easier to get new. I have multple re-entry in my "old" passport. I am tempted, honestly NOT to go get my new passport and let it expire at the Consulate (I believe you have 3 months to pick up, then they send it back...applied in October..... I needed extra pages and the clerk said gee why not just get a new passport (expiring in 2015). If the dates work, i.e. I get back before the deadline for them on the old one, I may just do that :)

The problem of being a lifetime expat, you get yourself tied up in knots sometimes......

wjs

I have a similar problem. My current US passport expires in Jan 2014. My thai visa expires on 8 Jan 2014. I have already picked up my new passport a few weeks ago. I was told as long as I don't leave Thailand, I am ok. In Jan I can present both passports when leaving Thailand and thus activating the new passport. This advice was given by a Pattaya visa shop? Am I breaking any LAWS here?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is helpful as I am now leaning heavily toward NOT picking it up until I've got the one year in there...i.e. nobody has any direct experience here of the tangle I've got myself into.  Old rule of thumb, when you find you've dug yourself into a hole, stop digging.

I cannot see any problem with picking up passport. It is would only be the bother of showing both passports when leaving HK and when you enter Thailand. After that you would only have to show visa in old passport for entry to here.

Ubon Joe is correct btw, but guess what, the new one is dated from the date of application so that will be a fun thing if anybody picks up on it....goign to go into damage control mode and not pick up the new one as then all good.

How could that be a problem? Nobody will notice it or even care. It is possible to have two valid passports at the same time.

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

USA cancells your old one with a big stamp across your picture page and punches holes in it...it is clearly NOT valid from then on. I agree that the ordinary situation is taht you get the new one while in Thailand and do a transfer over, did that for my son (he didn't leave, I just took his old one with me to HK and came back with both...a little risky as he was without a passport for a week). That had sort of lulled me into thinking it woudl be fine but of course I am actually traveling on mine....

Anyway, I am goign to go to Thai consulate on day one and ask them, gee what if I get a new one in HK.. if they say they can do somehting then I go straight to US consulate and pick mine up and back to them with a big smile on my face....if any hemmign and hawwing, then will string US consulate along to see if they will hold mine beyond their 3 mth time limit....

I will keep you posted as might all be useful for somebody some day......thanks for all thie inpurt!!

The visa remains valid even though the passport has been cancelled. An example is the 10 year B1/B2 visas the US issues and will not transfer.

Your son has an extension of stay not a visa. Immigration does transfer them and does a stamp that they put visa entry info on. They cannot transfer a valid visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

Starting from 26 August 2013, the visa extension will be permitted only up to the expiry date of the applicant's passport, if the remaining validity of the passport is less than one year. When new passport is obtained or renewed, a new application is needed. The visa extension will NO longer be automatically transferred onto the new passport.

This new regulation will also impact to the family members. The visa holder and family members will need to re-apply for a new visa application by submitting all the required documents for long term visa extension and paying a fee of baht 1,900 per person. For example, the main applicant's passport will be expired on 30 December 2013. And the application for extension of stay was submitted on 29 August 2013. The extension of stay will be approved for up to 30 December 2013 (which is the expiration date of the applicant’s passport) for the applicant and his dependent persons, even though the passport of the dependent persons will be expired on 30 November 2014.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665620-new-visa-regulation-starting-august-26th-2013/

Edited by Pinair

Since I used a US visa as an example here is what embassy website says.

: I have a valid United States visa in an expired (old) passport. Can it still be used?

Yes, if you will be entering the United States for a reason consistent with the type of valid visa you have. You should carry both the old passport that contains the valid visa and your current (new) passport. You must use both for entry to the United States.

Source: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas/frequently-asked-questions.html

I have a similar problem. My current US passport expires in Jan 2014. My thai visa expires on 8 Jan 2014. I have already picked up my new passport a few weeks ago. I was told as long as I don't leave Thailand, I am ok. In Jan I can present both passports when leaving Thailand and thus activating the new passport. This advice was given by a Pattaya visa shop? Am I breaking any LAWS here?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did the same thing exactly, although my expiring visa (with permission to stay stamp, which is the real issue) was just a tourist visa. The fellow at the immigration check-out looked a bit confused and went to consult with another official. Never asked me a thing. When he returned he had nothing to say and just processed me out.

Starting from 26 August 2013, the visa extension will be permitted only up to the expiry date of the applicant's passport, if the remaining validity of the passport is less than one year. When new passport is obtained or renewed, a new application is needed. The visa extension will NO longer be automatically transferred onto the new passport.

This new regulation will also impact to the family members. The visa holder and family members will need to re-apply for a new visa application by submitting all the required documents for long term visa extension and paying a fee of baht 1,900 per person. For example, the main applicant's passport will be expired on 30 December 2013. And the application for extension of stay was submitted on 29 August 2013. The extension of stay will be approved for up to 30 December 2013 (which is the expiration date of the applicant’s passport) for the applicant and his dependent persons, even though the passport of the dependent persons will be expired on 30 November 2014.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665620-new-visa-regulation-starting-august-26th-2013/

could kick myself as I really didnt need to get the need passport (USA) this early

His passport wasn't expiring. If you apply for an extension of stay and your passport is expiring during the normal duration of the extension, then the extension will only be granted up to when the passport expires and you would need to go through the whole application for extension process anew with the new passport.

If you apply for an extension and your passport will be valid for the whole period of the extension, no problem if you get a new passport. The extension will be transferred.

Same would apply to visas, presumably. You wouldn't normally be given a visa that would be valid beyond the expiration of your passport, but if you get a new passport for whatever reason (need more pages for example) during the life of the visa, you can still use the old visa in the old passport combined with your new passport.

Edited by Suradit69

USA cancells your old one with a big stamp across your picture page and punches holes in it...it is clearly NOT valid from then on. I agree that the ordinary situation is taht you get the new one while in Thailand and do a transfer over, did that for my son (he didn't leave, I just took his old one with me to HK and came back with both...a little risky as he was without a passport for a week). That had sort of lulled me into thinking it woudl be fine but of course I am actually traveling on mine....

Anyway, I am goign to go to Thai consulate on day one and ask them, gee what if I get a new one in HK.. if they say they can do somehting then I go straight to US consulate and pick mine up and back to them with a big smile on my face....if any hemmign and hawwing, then will string US consulate along to see if they will hold mine beyond their 3 mth time limit....

I will keep you posted as might all be useful for somebody some day......thanks for all thie inpurt!!

When UK Passports are cancelled by the passport office, they cut off one corner through the whole passport.

However, any pages with extant visas, etc are first folded back before the corner clipping so that those pages (and associated visas/stamps) remain valid.

It may well be that a similar procedure is followed with US Passports before the holes are punched through, maybe someone on the forum has experience of this.

The visa remains valid even though the passport has been cancelled. An example is the 10 year B1/B2 visas the US issues and will not transfer...They cannot transfer a valid visa.

my expired passport contains a B1/B2 US visa which is valid indefintely for multiple entries.

it should NOT be removed and remains valid as long as presented with a valid passport.

BUT: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-2006.html

since 1988 there is a visa waiver program and citizens of 37 countries are eligible for visa-free entry into the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

I am currently in Tokyo and since my passport was expiring in Oct 2014, I got a new one. The old passport contains my Thai extension for retirement which expires in May 2014. My understanding is that when I return to Thailand in Jan 2014, the extension will still be honored. I will be applying for a new extension within 90 days of my return, so there should be no reporting or transferring of stamps needed, right? By the way, the old passport was canceled by four holes punched in the cover only, not in any of the pages.

If a new passport has been issued the "old" one is cancelled and no longer valid for travel.

The US does not cancel the old passport until you pickup the new one if applying overseas.

When applying for a new passport, the old passport must accompany the application so they can cancel it.

As of four years ago US passport only got holes in covers at US Embassy Bangkok.  14 years ago holes were placed in all pages (but perhaps you could have asked for a fold back).

Same as of July this year. Only holes front and back covers.

If a new passport has been issued the "old" one is cancelled and no longer valid for travel.

The US does not cancel the old passport until you pickup the new one if applying overseas.

When applying for a new passport, the old passport must accompany the application so they can cancel it.
Wrong! You may be referring to an application while in the states.

I did it this past July. They did not do anything with my old passport until I picked up my new passport at the embassy.

I am currently in Tokyo and since my passport was expiring in Oct 2014, I got a new one. The old passport contains my Thai extension for retirement which expires in May 2014. My understanding is that when I return to Thailand in Jan 2014, the extension will still be honored. I will be applying for a new extension within 90 days of my return, so there should be no reporting or transferring of stamps needed, right? By the way, the old passport was canceled by four holes punched in the cover only, not in any of the pages.

You will need to show your old passport with your re-entry permit in it on entry.

You should go to immigration shortly after arrival to have your stamps transferred.

DogNo!, wish you had already come back to Thailand on your facts as that would be some comfort, I am going to go to the Thai consulate in HK tomorrow and will let you know what they say, but then again I have to weigh just what will happen with one in Thailand as not like they ever agree with each other!

DogNo!, wish you had already come back to Thailand on your facts as that would be some comfort, I am going to go to the Thai consulate in HK tomorrow and will let you know what they say, but then again I have to weigh just what will happen with one in Thailand as not like they ever agree with each other!

Are you still thinking your visa will not be valid because your passport will be cancelled.

Your visa will still be valid as myself and others have posted.

OK to end the story, gthai consulate in hK was quite clear, If passport cancelled then so is the visa, need to completely reapply to get into the country. If you are in the country already and get new one, then they can move it over in thailand. One point they made is that the visa is on one passort number but then coming in on different, this was not a new question to them./

US consulate very cool, they just said you lose your fee, at 90 days we'll send back to US the one they are holding for me now and it will be shredded, I can then come in and getting extra pages if I need them, etc.

Again this is Thailand so probably different answers different places and of course different answers at the border but I not risking it.

wjs