Citibank Building Elevator Plunges - Three Killed

george

Broken elevator plummets 20 stories in Bangkok, killing 3

BANGKOK: -- An elevator being repaired in a Bangkok high-rise malfunctioned and plummeted more than 20 stories, killing three mechanics on board and injuring a fourth, police said.

Preliminary investigations showed the mechanics were working on the elevator on the 23rd floor of the Citibank building in the Thai capital when it suddenly plunged to the basement, an officer at Bangkok's Thung Mahamek district police station said.

The officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak with the media.

Further details of the accident were not immediately available.

--AP 2006-05-06

Three men are killed when an elevator plummets

BANGKOK: -- Three mechanics were killed on board when an elevator they repaired in a Bangkok high-rise malfunctioned and plummeted more than 20 stories.

The fourth mechanic who lost his both arms was rushed to a nearby hospital.

Initial investigation showed the mechanics were working on the elevator on the 23rd floor of the Citibank building in Bangkok when it suddenly plunged to the basement.

--The Nation 2006-05-06

More info as we have it

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch...................

I thought all lifts had automatic braking systems to prevent this happening?

They used to have in other parts of the world, but maybee not here in Thailand!!!!!!!!!!

I those mechanics was working on the brake system, why was is not brought to the bottom of the schact there is plenty of space for this type of repairment.

But what are the chances of the families and dependents of these poor guys receiving any kind of compensation from Citibank, the building owner or the contracting repair company. No doubt some lawyer will decide that they had broken some safety rule.

This being Thailand where life seems to be cheap, unless your a Shinawatra , it seems that the compensation paid amounts to the cost of a small car. :o

Amazing one survived, 20 story drop, maybe some ~ 200',

I thought secondary emerg braking systems were passive and speed sensitive,

wouldn't think it could be disarmed,

Who knows what systems are in place, specially in many of the older properties,

I totally agree, Mr. RC; but I would even add that this small car would have to be a very much "used" small car !

My feelings go out to the survivor (chap who lost both his arms) and the families of the victims.

Actually; I would note that I am very surprised that many more accidfents don't happen, given the total lackasaidal attitude to safety, anticipation and straight lack of "common-sense" in this otherwise wonderfull country.

no i bet there was nothing wrong with the system or the machinery - its the maniac thai attitude that they can do anything, fix anything, creat anything - when in fact this is not the case as is proven now.

Remember the MTR crash and countless other mindless incidents.

They simply refuse to follow instructions or guidelines- over confident - you bet

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've hit the nail on the head BlackJack ... very most likely 'operator error' rather than a system failure ...

Don't forget this is thailand were i've seen 'em 'hammering' screws into door hinges to hang doors as well as heaps of other unmentionables on construction sites and the roads in general ! (My 'favourite' one is how they love to overtake going round a corner up a hill) ... but all in all i still love the place & most of the people....

no i bet there was nothing wrong with the system or the machinery - its the maniac thai attitude that they can do anything, fix anything, creat anything - when in fact this is not the case as is proven now.

They simply refuse to follow instructions or guidelines- over confident - you bet

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts go out to all cocerned.

Although and, with respect I add, if these guys were trained to repair lifts, they must have known the safety precautions to take, 20 floors is 20 floors. Was it malfuntion or, repairer error.

redrus

When discussing with my students some of the differences between the Thai culture, and the American culture, the topic was manners. Thai people do not seem to say please, they certainly do not say thank you. A man does not hold a door for a woman, nor let her on the elevator first or anything remotely like it. Rarely am i given a seat on the bus or train by a Thai man, and often a young man will take a seat almost right out from under me. My tone must have seemed bitter, for on the BTS ride home, I sat with one of my students where she asked me, or rather stated it seemed I didn't like Thai people. I do like Thai people. Some of them are just wonderful, friendly, helpful, warm, inclusive with their activities and show that they want to involve me, and seem genuinely excited when I show up somewhere a foreigner is just not expected to show up. This made me rethink about my projected demeanor and attitude about the Thai people and remember why I am here, to do something for the Thai people I really like. I would like people around the world to think of the Thai people as polite and wonderful people. I have to remember they are who they are and we can only lead by example. What i see here seems to be people that don't really think much of the Thai, which leads me to wonder why they are here. Is living in Thailand really all about warm weather, cheap services and easy girlfriends? I see bandwagon mentallity of Thai people bashing and wonder what good it does. There is truth behind everything we say. There is no such thing as just kidding. I think the Thai people have to work with whatever they have, which in the past, and to a real extent still, isn't much. I give them credit for being a happy bunch of people considering the available resources offered to them. Remember, the minimum wage is 184 baht a day, having some education would certainly pay more, but they work with what they have, I give them credit for that. Just a thought. :o

It is the conflict in the individual mind that manifests as war. When individuals change, the society will automatically change.

— Amma

Not surprised. People do dangerous work with little or no protection every day in Thailand.

Great, criticizing dead mechanics, that shows a lot of compassion and sympathy. Whatever the reason, do you think it is any easier for the families and children.

no i bet there was nothing wrong with the system or the machinery - its the maniac thai attitude that they can do anything, fix anything, create anything - when in fact this is not the case as is proven now.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

........don't forget that they think that they can MODIFY anything also.

I'm not convinced that over-confidence is at the bottom of all of this; it's more related to that complex of moral and ethical actions and reactions that the average Thai possesses. Everything has to be 'free and easy' and anything that is in the least bit serious causes eyes to glaze over and thought processes to close down. I've first hand experience of this.

Anyway, this type of work should have required a formal, but routine, risk assessment prior to starting the maintenance work on the lift. There would have been risks, naturally, and these would have been identified and eliminated and those that could not have been eliminated would have demanded special precautions to minimise them.

I suggest that the responsibility for these tragic deaths might lie squarely on the shoulders of the maintenance company.

My sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of the deceased and injured.

When discussing with my students some of the differences between the Thai culture, and the American culture, the topic was manners. Thai people do not seem to say please, they certainly do not say thank you. A man does not hold a door for a woman, nor let her on the elevator first or anything remotely like it. Rarely am i given a seat on the bus or train by a Thai man, and often a young man will take a seat almost right out from under me. My tone must have seemed bitter, for on the BTS ride home, I sat with one of my students where she asked me, or rather stated it seemed I didn't like Thai people. I do like Thai people. Some of them are just wonderful, friendly, helpful, warm, inclusive with their activities and show that they want to involve me, and seem genuinely excited when I show up somewhere a foreigner is just not expected to show up. This made me rethink about my projected demeanor and attitude about the Thai people and remember why I am here, to do something for the Thai people I really like. I would like people around the world to think of the Thai people as polite and wonderful people. I have to remember they are who they are and we can only lead by example. What i see here seems to be people that don't really think much of the Thai, which leads me to wonder why they are here. Is living in Thailand really all about warm weather, cheap services and easy girlfriends? I see bandwagon mentallity of Thai people bashing and wonder what good it does. There is truth behind everything we say. There is no such thing as just kidding. I think the Thai people have to work with whatever they have, which in the past, and to a real extent still, isn't much. I give them credit for being a happy bunch of people considering the available resources offered to them. Remember, the minimum wage is 184 baht a day, having some education would certainly pay more, but they work with what they have, I give them credit for that. Just a thought. :o

It is the conflict in the individual mind that manifests as war. When individuals change, the society will automatically change.

— Amma

I agree with you 100% It seems that most people making comments here do not like Thailand, their problem is they can not go home so they stay here and bitch about EVERYTHING.

gr8fldanielle-Not sure how your post fits in with elevator safety or lack thereof, but I disagree with your gripe about Thais not standing for women. My experience over the years is that most Thais will stand for pregnant women, small children (most definately), the elderly, and monks. Not sure how old you are, but why should they give up a sit for a woman unless she is obviously unhealthy or elderly? I don't think that happens as much as it used to in the West either, since men there have pretty much had it banged into their heads that anything they can do woman can do better. Most Western men could relate stories to you of offering a seat or opening a door only to be rebuffed by a woman as sexist or unneccessary. Thais may well be rude in many cases, but in this particular one I think they are just following a different (not better or worse) set of rules.

I remember hearing the owner of a new building under construction some years ago say the going rate was 80,000 baht a head. He had paid that for two workers (female) that died in separate lift collapses. At about the same time my driver got exactly the same amount from the owner of a car that killed his son who was on a motor bike - it was never clear whose fault it was but the owner made up a silly story about having lent his car that day to some one whose name he couldn't remember who had since gone back to his province etc. The price may have gone up a bit since then but that gives you an idea.

Elevators work on a counter weight system, making it near impossible for them to fall.

This is backed up with a speed controlled braking system.

There are three to four main cables which would have to be disconnected or broken, and the speed braking would have to be disabled as well.

Thai mechanics... says it all really.

'Thai mechanics... says it all really.'

Simple, yet oh so accurate.

Funny how a woman brings up the 'not standing for them' stuff, yet they want all the other equal rights. Sometimes sweety you just cannot have your cake and eat it as well.

As usual a bunch of "bar room lawyers" jumping to conclusions before the cause of this tragedy is discovered.....

Everyones suddenly an expert......stick to being expats nah?

I'd be grateful, and very interested, if you would expand on your comments. Thank you.

'Thai mechanics... says it all really.'

Simple, yet oh so accurate.

Funny how a woman brings up the 'not standing for them' stuff, yet they want all the other equal rights. Sometimes sweety you just cannot have your cake and eat it as well.

A justification for bad manners? Is being a gentleman a thing of the past? We all have the equal right to stand on the bus or train with a bag of teaching materials and books, purse, groceries etc. Equal rights is an uncountable noun. What does that include? Equally discourteous to all, or doing the same job as a man and getting paid the same? I have given up my seat to someone with more than I had to carry just so they would be guaranteed a seat when I got off. Lead by example, not by excuses. Personally I have never understood why monks are given seats. I respect them for being who they are, like everybody else, and like everybody else, I see them sleeping in parks or where ever, enjoying a cigarette, and like many others looking for handouts. Save the anti-religious comments because I am a buddhist, a follower of Christs teachings, not the Christian religion mind you, a student of Vedic studies and a vegetarian of 30 years. I am an activist for equal rights, you can count on that, everyone should be treated with respect equally considering the source of everything, not equal disrespect. Overweight 10 year old children can stand as easy as anyone else, maybe easier considering children are far more active by choice. What does this have to do with elevators? Observantly nothing.