Moving to Thailand as 'adventure' or planning it out

MrHammer

Having lived in Thailand for longer periods twice now, I have come to believe that Thailand is NOT a place to move to easily or on passionate feelings. Rather if you want to have a good life here, it is very important to be very honest with yourself and realistic, understand exactly why you're moving, what you want out of it and how long you plan to stay. Get your finances in order, have a backup plan b and so on. My life here the second time is much better, although perhaps also more boring, since I know view Thailand realitiscally for its good and its bad, where as in the past it was much more black/white, either great or horrible.

I believe many people who go to live in Thailand are trying to chase a dream that feels very good in the moment, but their expectations that this dream could last, will give them a lot of grief down the road, when they discover that Thailand is like any other place with good things and bad things.

What do you think? Is it better to wait to move to Thailand until the passion has waned somewhat or should you just go for it?

I'm not against adventure, but rather that I think you stand a better chance of getting what you want if you are realistic and plan better in Thailand. It seems very easy as a tourist to think that moving to Thailand is nothing at all, while in reality I am guessing most are chewed up and back home within a year. Could be interesting to see some statistics on that.

I simply came to Thailand. No real plans at all. Had some ups and downs. A learning curve almost constantly and a great 'adventure'.

The best laid plans can go awry. So, plan away if you wish, but that takes much of the fun out of it all. I have to admit I made sure, and still do, that I have my home base secured in my home country as my back-up and will always keep that security behind me.

Go, do it, have the fun!!

Do what feels right, go for it , enjoy it while it lasts, tomorrow belongs to no one. Only thing I would be sure of, is a ticket back home if it all goes wrong, and you can sing "I did it my way" all the way back with a big smile and great memories, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Well I moved here as a place to retire to. Had been here once before for a month. I did not burn my bridges but I did get rid of any material thing that would hold me back. Been here 7 years now and still loving it. I real quick adopted the attitude that the Thai's were neither right or wrong they were different. It has served me well what many see as wrong I see as different. I am talking about legal things and also the illegal way they drive on the road. The only thing they do wrong in Thailand is drive on the wrong side of the road.

As for plans I have lots of them. Just don't have the energy to carry them all out. That is an age related thing.sad.png On the positive side of being old I have learned that often when plan A doesn't work plan B or C or D are better any how. Some times I discovered that by looking back on the situation after it was over.

For instance I planned on a cruise in the Caribbean sailing out of Porto Rico. Had the cruise lined up the cost of single occupancy port fees and air flight to Porto Rico. Instead I wound up in the old Don Mueang airport. With no idea where to go. The lady at immigration gave me a list to choose from. Long story short I have never been on a cruise and I have been living full time in Thailand for 7 years with occasional trips else where.

My ex and I used to day dream of seeing Angkor Wat we knew it would never happen. She has never seen it I have three times. Make plans and be prepared to change them often for the better.

It is like an old friend of mine used to always say. Nothing holding you back but fear and the law of gravity.smile.png

More and more cruises sailing from hong kong and Singapore every year....so you can stll do that cruise if you really want....some nice itineraries being offered now.

Definitely plan for it, if it’s going to be for a longer period or on permanent basis.

If you feel passion, I would suggest just staying as a long time tourist on a Tourist Visa (or non immigrant if possible) for a period to see, if it for real “feels like in your mind”.

If you have made up your mind to make a move, it requires some planning. First of all economy or financial situation – like savings, retirement pension if old enough, business and/or investment, work and work permit, heath insurance or self-insured – as Thailand will be a very bad place to stay, if running out of money. Secondly ties to home, like family, friends etc. And for the third the physical move of for example households, what to bring and what to dispose of or place in long-time storage; and where to bring it, like place to settle and where to stay, rented or…?

Be careful not to burn all bridges in case your new life over the years may work out different than expected and you may need to return to you original homeland.

I’ve moved here in a combination of passion and planning.

The passion being the surprise of finding some place like one dream about. Is it really worth working so hard to save up some money – not to mention the tax paid firstly – if I’m to old to enjoy the outcome of the so many years hard work? Enough is enough; so the idea of an early self-retirement rather than working almost for ever – as I always before expected to do – popped up, followed by a couple of years going and back up to seven times in a year.

The planning progressed during the passionate years, as I found out that LoS was not like that I was dreaming about – but better. Furthermore I met a lovely girl, who even gave me an heir. It took me another couple of years to get the physical move organized and done. It may take time get rid of/sell property back home, which money for me was an important part of the savings needed for my new life in “Paradise”.

That life began almost eight years ago and I do not regret my choice – only thing I regret is, that I should have done it earlier, however it might not have been possible then – and the more I hear and read from my homeland, the more happy I am now to live here.

• Like 2

Posted 57 minutes ago

transam, on 22 Nov 2013 - 20:21, said:snapback.png

We are all different in our outlook on stuff. One might be an adventurer or one might be used to mum in the background or a fat wallet comes first. In other words, it's an individuals decision. Look how the USA became the No1 country in a couple of centuries via folk being adventurous.

USA No 1 Country? You must be joking.

No experience with regard to USA but based on what I have heard and read, even Americans want to leave USA because of the cost of living there. I agree with AloisAmrein.

Decision to go to countries with lower cost of living (like Thailand) will give you more enjoyment in life

I planned it out 12 years in advance after meeting my wife here. Retire at 55 and get out of the USA. Avoid gun violence, avoid mediocre education, avoid Christian zealots, avoid poor food at high prices. But most of all, I came here for affordable, quality health care. That and avoiding this American sense of exceptionalism, while the rest of the world hurdles by into the next century.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Posted 57 minutes ago

We are all different in our outlook on stuff. One might be an adventurer or one might be used to mum in the background or a fat wallet comes first. In other words, it's an individuals decision. Look how the USA became the No1 country in a couple of centuries via folk being adventurous.

No experience with regard to USA but based on what I have heard and read, even Americans want to leave USA because of the cost of living there. I agree with AloisAmrein.

Decision to go to countries with lower cost of living (like Thailand) will give you more enjoyment in life

You think the USA is expensive, try Europe. The expense in our homelands is about moving on from depression, taking care of folk, including those not in our homeland. Being taken care of by our country with financial support if the shit hits the fan, and dealing with health issues where folk are really qualified to provide the latest technology and knowledge, state pensions. Think most of my examples do not apply in LOS.

I planned it out 12 years in advance after meeting my wife here. Retire at 55 and get out of the USA. Avoid gun violence, avoid mediocre education, avoid Christian zealots, avoid poor food at high prices. But most of all, I came here for affordable, quality health care. That and avoiding this American sense of exceptionalism, while the rest of the world hurdles by into the next century.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What? Thailand has a far higher gun murder rate per capita than the US has. Thailand is flat-out violent. Thailand has more than mediocre education?

I realize the Christian zealots were forever trying to set off a pressure cooker bomb in your kitchen, but some things are unavoidable. w00t.gif

Poor food at high prices? I won't even go there vs Thailand.

Well, I'm sure the folks in the US won't miss you, and I hope your plans for Thailand work out well for you. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Posted 57 minutes ago

You think the USA is expensive, try Europe. The expense in our homelands is about moving on from depression, taking care of folk, including those not in our homeland. Being taken care of by our country with financial support if the shit hits the fan, and dealing with health issues where folk are really qualified to provide the latest technology and knowledge, state pensions. Think most of my examples do not apply in LOS.

I am not a USA no1 type of guy, but I would accept the point up to the extent that, ok, yeah, the place benefited from people from all over the world who really were self-motivated and ambitious. Given that it is a society that rewarded people who did that, it also attracted/created a lot of those people. I am not sure the country is really like that anymore (not going into it).

As far as expenses, I guess it is expensive. You get paid more there, though. I took a significant pay cut when I came to Asia, but I didn't care because I wanted the adventure of living in a foreign country with lots of new experiences to be had (had already lived abroad before).

My parents are just retiring now. I tried to get them to move here, but it was just too foreign and strange for them to consider long term (although they loved visiting and want to come back). They are going to...wait for it....Florida! They can't really afford to stay in the ritzy retirement communities, but they don't care. They just want small town life in a warm climate. I have visited the town they are moving to, and it is a beautiful place and pretty affordable.

I think it just matters on what you like. I am sure that I would get itchy feet after 6 months in Florida, even though I have had great trips there.

When I came here the first time, it was as an adventure.

I made sure I had the recourses (money/salary) for it of course.

it was indeed an adventure which I never will regret, despite also some bad experiences.

After a while the excitement wears off, and one become more realistic about the stay here.

Nevertheless, if one can afford it, dive into it for a few weeks, and experience the "wilder side" of the kingdom as well.

Just make sure one always think about safety and security.

After a good few years here now I can safely say that it gets better for me year after year. Probably because I have learned to live my life one day at a time in gratitude for every living moment. I do make plans but am aware that I have no control over their outcome, so I take life as it comes. At the end of the day there is not many things really worth worrying about.....in a hundred years from now....it won't make a lot of difference anyway.

• Like 1

Well I moved here as a place to retire to. Had been here once before for a month. I did not burn my bridges but I did get rid of any material thing that would hold me back. Been here 7 years now and still loving it. I real quick adopted the attitude that the Thai's were neither right or wrong they were different. It has served me well what many see as wrong I see as different. I am talking about legal things and also the illegal way they drive on the road. The only thing they do wrong in Thailand is drive on the wrong side of the road.

As for plans I have lots of them. Just don't have the energy to carry them all out. That is an age related thing.sad.png On the positive side of being old I have learned that often when plan A doesn't work plan B or C or D are better any how. Some times I discovered that by looking back on the situation after it was over.

For instance I planned on a cruise in the Caribbean sailing out of Porto Rico. Had the cruise lined up the cost of single occupancy port fees and air flight to Porto Rico. Instead I wound up in the old Don Mueang airport. With no idea where to go. The lady at immigration gave me a list to choose from. Long story short I have never been on a cruise and I have been living full time in Thailand for 7 years with occasional trips else where.

My ex and I used to day dream of seeing Angkor Wat we knew it would never happen. She has never seen it I have three times. Make plans and be prepared to change them often for the better.

It is like an old friend of mine used to always say. Nothing holding you back but fear and the law of gravity.smile.png

More and more cruises sailing from hong kong and Singapore every year....so you can stll do that cruise if you really want....some nice itineraries being offered now.

Are there some sites I can look them up on. Or a travel agent here in Chiang Mai familiar with them?

After a good few years here now I can safely say that it gets better for me year after year. Probably because I have learned to live my life one day at a time in gratitude for every living moment. I do make plans but am aware that I have no control over their outcome, so I take life as it comes. At the end of the day there is not many things really worth worrying about.....in a hundred years from now....it won't make a lot of difference anyway.

I was just thinking that Generally speaking we can not remember the problems of a week ago. they just aren't that bad.

transam

V8 RULES

• xphoto-thumb-41816.jpg,q_r=1341031918.pa
  • Advanced Members
  • 20,469 posts

Posted Today, 13:54

DGIE, on 23 Nov 2013 - 13:12, said:snapback.png

Posted 57 minutes ago

transam, on 22 Nov 2013 - 20:21, said:xsnapback.png.pagespeed.ic.cvRW65hIvi.we

transam said:

Yeah, I think the USA is expensive but if I am given a chance, it is still a dream for me to reach USA. Not because of adventure because I cannot afford it. To work? yeah! But it just a dream which may be impossible to happen.

I agree with the latest technology USA has. No argue for that and for health benefits, state pensions, etc.

How I wish to have that when I get old. But I saw a retired attorney who is an American. He is living here in Thailand with his pension and it is enough for him. He is old enough. He prefers to live here rather than in USA. I guess, his pension is not enough if he lives in USA.

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 20,469 posts

Posted 57 minutes ago

transam said:

Yeah, I think the USA is expensive but if I am given a chance, it is still a dream for me to reach USA. Not because of adventure because I cannot afford it. To work? yeah! But it just a dream which may be impossible to happen.

I agree with the latest technology USA has. No argue for that and for health benefits, state pensions, etc.

How I wish to have that when I get old. But I saw a retired attorney who is an American. He is living here in Thailand with his pension and it is enough for him. He is old enough. He prefers to live here rather than in USA. I guess, his pension is not enough if he lives in USA.

We all perhaps live different lives, different outlays for what we want, if a bloke wants to cruise around in a Merc, have servants, eat out every day, then he needs a lot more cash than me. smile.png

• Like 1

dao16 said:

I am not a USA no1 type of guy, but I would accept the point up to the extent that, ok, yeah, the place benefited from people from all over the world who really were self-motivated and ambitious. Given that it is a society that rewarded people who did that, it also attracted/created a lot of those people. I am not sure the country is really like that anymore (not going into it).

transam said:

We all perhaps live different lives, different outlays for what we want, if a bloke wants to cruise around in a Merc, have servants, eat out every day, then he needs a lot more cash than me. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

Exactly, we all live in different lives but most of the time what we want is not reached because we are not in capacity to reach it. I myself is an example.

OP, did something personally happen to you or did the "honeymoon effect" ware off?

Like many have said, even planning it out will not always go as planned. Many come here, with the thought of exotic care free living, we've all done this, right?

Then something happens to make us question why we're here. I guess, as you've mentioned, say reality settled in.

For me, been coming here for 10 yrs and lived here for about 2 of them. Love Thailand and all but there was one thing I did not anticipate, living through an entire rainy season, as it's tolerable but for me life back in Toronto during the summer months was much better. Some may think, "it's just rain" but add in the pollution and some shoddy infrastructure in some areas.

I'm now planning to live the "snow bird" lifestyle; Thailand for 7 months and Canada for 5, so I can keep my medical plan intact. This way, I can live in both places throughout the year in comfort.

So yes, the planning continues..

FS

• Like 1

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 20,469 posts

Posted 57 minutes ago

transam said:

That makes no sense. I have a pension large enough to live in the United States on. Yet here I am in Thailand. Where I came from I am still welcome. I just prefer Thailand today and have for 7 years.

• Like 1

transam said:

We all perhaps live different lives, different outlays for what we want, if a bloke wants to cruise around in a Merc, have servants, eat out every day, then he needs a lot more cash than me. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

Exactly, we all live in different lives but most of the time what we want is not reached because we are not in capacity to reach it. I myself is an example.

Me too,................. I was born brain dead......crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif ................smile.png

transam

V8 RULES

• Advanced Members
  • 20,469 posts

Posted 57 minutes ago

transam said:

"I guess, his pension is not enough if he lives in USA."

I doubt it. I'd guess he simply prefers Thailand. Successful men aren't immune to the pretty younger women in Thailand, and that's what attracts most expats. Only some are in Thailand because they can't afford their home country, and the USA is cheaper for living than Europe or Australia.

• Like 1

dao16 said:

Sure it is. It leads in technology by a wide margin be it internet, smartphone, operating systems including Microsoft, electronics, and even military inventions. It took the poor and downtrodden, mostly from Europe and mostly from the UK and Germany and gave them room and opportunity.

The world's greatest scientists and engineers from Germany, the leaders from Britain - all into one melting pot with nothing but elbow room, natural resources, and opportunity. That blood still is in the veins of those who will work for it. See the guys who invented Google and Twitter and Ebay Amazon and Yahoo and DOS-Windows - some of whom were just young guys with nothing.

Thailand's attraction for many isn't about money. Many guys go to Thailand when they could afford to live anywhere. Some maintain two homes - one in the home country and one in Thailand. Thailand has a lot of attraction for Westerners, obviously.

As to the OP, I'd just go for it but keep one foot in my home country always, and enough money for a plane ticket, in case things went sideways for me in any way at all.