Driving in Bangkok - nothing to it?

MrHammer

You'll be ok,til your not ok.I'm at the point I can trave a lot of places in bkk using the BTS ,or taxi.Plus I like air conditioning.When your on your scoot,at the traffic light waiting for it to change,sweat pouring off your face,think of me.good luck.

Think I could survive it on a bike but every time I go in the car it's a case of "never again"!!

I thought the same until I started riding my Road King (big bike) in Bkk. I have actually gotten to like it as long as I don't get stopped at too many lights. The bike gets HOT.

My problem in driving in BKK is when i drive out of familiar territory and get lost. My gf is sacked as a navigator before we even get into the car. Otherwise it just like playing the computer game Grand theft Auto except it is on real roads..

• Like 1

sounds about right to me. I drive every day a minimum of 20 km through bkk and think it is not that bad as many people say or think, you just have to keep your eyes wide open.

I drove for 1 year in Thailand. Mostly in Bangkok. The first time I drove there, and the first time I drove a righthand drive car was with my ex (Thai) wife in the back barking orders. I drove from central bkk to a resort about 150km West of bkk. And what really sucked was driving while arguing on the way back. That sucked! Overall driving in Thailand is not that big a deal. Driving in Cairo? I wouldn't do unless I lived there for a good while. Even then I'm not sure. No horn honking in Thailand, constant horn honking in Cairo.

sounds about right to me. I drive every day a minimum of 20 km through bkk and think it is not that bad as many people say or think, you just have to keep your eyes wide open.

I drove for 1 year in Thailand. Mostly in Bangkok. The first time I drove there, and the first time I drove a righthand drive car was with my ex (Thai) wife in the back barking orders. I drove from central bkk to a resort about 150km West of bkk. And what really sucked was driving while arguing on the way back. That sucked! Overall driving in Thailand is not that big a deal. Driving in Cairo? I wouldn't do unless I lived there for a good while. Even then I'm not sure. No horn honking in Thailand, constant horn honking in Cairo.

You should have left the missus at home. Would have been a much more enjoyable experience then.

There is only nothing to it if you don't get complacent...

I rarely ride in town these days, but commuted from Rachada to Rama IV for around 5 years on a 650 Yamaha "Special". Went down twice; once between cars when a scooter clipped my front wheel precisely when it was on wet paint, and once on mud from a building site...

Don't ride slower than the main flow - spend to much time managing cars and bikes overtaking you. I ride just a little faster to allow me to concentrate on all that could cross my path up-front. Get extra lights if you can - being seen is a good thing...

I may start a cross-town commute for a project in Hua Mark. It takes me an hour at 06:30 in a Series IIa Landy right now, but at least I get time with an audiobook...

Ride safe!

I much prefer riding a scooter or motorcycle in Bangkok. Driving a car through the congestion of Bangkok is too frustrating for me. I prefer driving in the country and rural areas. My wife lives between Buriram and Surin and I find the driving out there, for the most part, a lot less anoying. I rented a car in Bangkok once and coudn't wait to return it.

I've had the opportunity to drive in many countries all over the world and driving in Bangkok is very different. There are many places where the driving is just as crazy in some ways, but Bangkok has it's own special kind of crazy. For instance, those strange white and yellow lines on the road have absolutely no meaning. Driving into oncoming traffic on the back of a scooter in order to pass a slow moving truck is the norm. The side walk is the fastest lane for scooter traffic.

Yeh, the comment about not getting complacent is right. The rest is common sense.

To avoid the cops fleecing you, learn about the real law behind the 'driving on the left lane rule' (essentially the same as the UK) as they've tried pulling that one on me a bunch of times.

Ridden on a bike in Bangkok and drove aa car into and out of the city no big deal. When I drove the car out it was to Kanchaniburi from Sukhumvit Soi 4 bit of a piss just because there doesn't appear to be a direct west road out like there is to the north and east. If someone knows a direct route out west I would like to know about it Thanks.

I came to BKK almost 2 years ago and after 2 months I've bought car. Since then I drive every day around the city and twice per month making trip to Cambodia. Never had any accident or something like that... well... apart of one time when I scratched one taxi on the bumper... this happened on the Victory Monument when taxi driver wanted to force me out from my line and take my place tongue.png I didn't even stop as I scratched him with my bullbar biggrin.png

In general my opinion about driving in BKK is that it is not very difficult but sometimes very frustrating as most of them drive or to fast or to slow...

I get used even to motorbikes but I still hate taxi's as they think they own the roads and that's why I can let pas/give way to normal car but never taxi biggrin.png

Btw I get stopped by Police only twice in BKK and once on my trip to Cambodia during this time... and as I don't have international driving licence (only UK) 300 THB "fine" fixed problem in every case :)

Edited by Kularion

I think Thai car drivers are far more aware of motorbikes and that makes driving easier than in England where lots of car drivers are jealous of motorcyclists. English drivers were getting better when I left in 2010 but driving a bike in 70's England was a different matter. The road is the one place where Thais excel their western counterparts in politeness which is strange to say the least. Holes in the road can be a big problem here though, really, had some big jolts in the past.

I have driven a car once from Bangkok to Petchabun and that was easy peasy but I think anyone driving a car in Bangkok is a mad as the Thais who seem to have no problem sitting in a stationary/ crawling vehicle for several hours every day . . . . the idiots who pollute the already toxic environment with their huge 4 x 4 1,000,000 baht vehicles need a kick up the arse.

As for finding your way around Bangkok . . . I tend to check it out on Google maps first using the street view so I know what to expect!

Soi 4 to Karn is a pain, especially on weekends. Traffic can be heavy and the road is not big enough once you get passed Nakhon Pathom (323)

There is no truly direct route. There are back roads like the 338 and 4006 from south of Bang Bua Tong that connect to just the 4 before you get to Nakhon Pathom. Those are more useful when the weekend traffic into Bkk is fouled up... There is a route around the north of NP my wife found along the train tracks that dumps you back on the 3094 and then the 4006 all the way to Kanchanapisek ring road.

For just 14 extra k.m. from S.Soi 4 you can take the expressway to Chaeng Wattana and then find your way to the 340 (Suphan) and 346 (Bang Len). The road is significantly quieter, and although it does have a fair volume of large trucks, it is a less stressful route. Obviously, if you leave in peak traffic you'll have to endure the nose-to-tail expressway to CW first... I live on CW, so that is the only route I use, truck or bike. I've never met traffic on the way out, but its get heavy, although keeps moving, on a Sunday evening after crossing the Ta Chin river all the way to the junction of the 340, 9, and 345. The inside lane is usually empty, 'cause it is a mess with potholes, so I make good time in my flying brick (Series III) or on my GS.

Enjoy!

Ridden on a bike in Bangkok and drove aa car into and out of the city no big deal. When I drove the car out it was to Kanchaniburi from Sukhumvit Soi 4 bit of a piss just because there doesn't appear to be a direct west road out like there is to the north and east. If someone knows a direct route out west I would like to know about it Thanks.

I drive 50 000 Km / year, and only in BKK.

This is not so bad, but you have to know the official and the not official road rules.

With motocycle a bit more dangerous, but I meet every day arond 1000 motorist, among many ladies and girls, so if they can, you can do also.

If you want to use your moto "zick zack" you are going to go hospital soon this pretty sure.

Thais on the road in BKK not worse than Italien or Greeks.

But if you want to see lot of lying motorbike with lying drunk farangs, you have to go PKT. There really dangerous but not Thais reason.

I drive 50 000 Km / year, and only in BKK.

This is not so bad, but you have to know the official and the not official road rules.

With motocycle a bit more dangerous, but I meet every day arond 1000 motorist, among many ladies and girls, so if they can, you can do also.

If you want to use your moto "zick zack" you are going to go hospital soon this pretty sure.

Thais on the road in BKK not worse than Italien or Greeks.

But if you want to see lot of lying motorbike with lying drunk farangs, you have to go PKT. There really dangerous but not Thais reason.

Wow. 50.000 km a year.

You dont work here as motorsai, right?

I found bangkok drivers best and kindest towards motorcyclists among all big cities i have been in this world.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I much prefer riding a scooter or motorcycle in Bangkok. Driving a car through the congestion of Bangkok is too frustrating for me. I prefer driving in the country and rural areas. My wife lives between Buriram and Surin and I find the driving out there, for the most part, a lot less anoying. I rented a car in Bangkok once and coudn't wait to return it.

I've had the opportunity to drive in many countries all over the world and driving in Bangkok is very different. There are many places where the driving is just as crazy in some ways, but Bangkok has it's own special kind of crazy. For instance, those strange white and yellow lines on the road have absolutely no meaning. Driving into oncoming traffic on the back of a scooter in order to pass a slow moving truck is the norm. The side walk is the fastest lane for scooter traffic.

Well stuff you.The footpath is for people,not bikes.

• Like 2

Totally legal, though.

I much prefer riding a scooter or motorcycle in Bangkok. Driving a car through the congestion of Bangkok is too frustrating for me. I prefer driving in the country and rural areas. My wife lives between Buriram and Surin and I find the driving out there, for the most part, a lot less anoying. I rented a car in Bangkok once and coudn't wait to return it.

I've had the opportunity to drive in many countries all over the world and driving in Bangkok is very different. There are many places where the driving is just as crazy in some ways, but Bangkok has it's own special kind of crazy. For instance, those strange white and yellow lines on the road have absolutely no meaning. Driving into oncoming traffic on the back of a scooter in order to pass a slow moving truck is the norm. The side walk is the fastest lane for scooter traffic.

Totally legal, though.

Riding on footpaths? No, it is not. I was reprimanded by buddies after I posted a vid on YT that showed one if our lads riding on a footpath... Was told to remove and re-edit...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Totally legal, though.

I call it semi legal!

it is illegal by teh book but legal by the motorcyclists and accepted by the society and policemen especially during rush hours.

Same as underpasses and overpasses in Bangkok. it is semi legal to use them!

Edited by ll2