Bikers encouraged to wear helmets: Thailand

webfact

Maybe, if they would confiscate motorcycles, instead of pocketing a minor fine, compliance might follow.

They could even make bigger baht reselling the bikes.

Maybe if they stopped the CAUSE of accidents, there would be no need to wear one! And more to the point, has does a helmet protect you with a drunk driver drives into you?

Tell me one country that has stopped the cause of accidents ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I heard , if convicted of major corruption your chances of getting a bullet in the head was 100% in Vietnam, some incentive to try to avoid corruption by the police. Never heard of anyone in Thailand , let alone a corrupt policeman being given a death penalty for corruption. Would it work here? Maybe jail time for no helmet second time around?

But then why did most of us first come to this country ? was it because you could do things without being reprimanded for things like driving 5 kmh over the limit, more than one beer?, occasionally not wear a helmet? forget to get a licence? the list is endless.

We won't change anything until the Thais do it themselves. So as the wife says "just try to stay alive yourself ", so wear that helmet.

I dont think this will change anything as the lack of wearing helmet is in the mentality. A better police control ( without bribes if possible) would be more effective. I dont remember in Vietnam seeing anyone ( at least in HCMC) without helmet....

Those who collect 100baht fines for their own use are to blame.

Set up a few blitzes at night and insist on helmets.

Maybe, if they would confiscate motorcycles, instead of pocketing a minor fine, compliance might follow.

Maybe if they stopped the CAUSE of accidents, there would be no need to wear one! And more to the point, has does a helmet protect you with a drunk driver drives into you?

A 60% reduction in drink-driving accidents in Australia, when the booze buses program started up.

That law has saved hundreds of families losing a parent, so don't say it doesn't work.

A 60% reduction in drink-driving accidents in Australia, when the booze buses program started up.

That law has saved hundreds of families losing a parent, so don't say it doesn't work.

Did I say it didn't work ? I asked what country has stopped the cause of accidents rolleyes.gif .

Even your figure shows Aus still has the remaining 40% of drink related accidents even with all they have done to eradicate it.

Pretty easy fix for this . No helmet , bike is impounded . offender pays a fine for no helmet , pays for the towing fee , pays a fee to get the bike out of the impound lot . offender gets the bike back when he shows up with an approved helmet and does as per above .
Of course this will never happen , the amount of money made for collecting these fines must be astronomical and they are not going to kill the goose that lays the golden egg

I dont think this will change anything as the lack of wearing helmet is in the mentality. A better police control ( without bribes if possible) would be more effective. I dont remember in Vietnam seeing anyone ( at least in HCMC) without helmet....

I was in HCMC in 2004 and noted that virtually nobody was wearing helmets. I spotted a roadside vender with a nice display of helmets and there wasn't a sole person talkiing to him. Quite a funny sight really.

Maybe the Vietnam govt got serious about helmet laws!

I was in HCMC in 2004 and noted that virtually nobody was wearing helmets. I spotted a roadside vender with a nice display of helmets and there wasn't a sole person talkiing to him. Quite a funny sight really.

Maybe the Vietnam govt got serious about helmet laws!

Whoops,... first post was a doubler,... sorry guys!

Edited by falangadang

Encouraged. Encouraged. I repeat encouraged. Is this a comedy routine? Why not just simply enforce the law? Do you know how long it would take for EVERYONE to wear helmets here, if the penalty for not wearing one was confiscation of your bike, and the payment of 5,000 baht to get it back? One day. Nationwide. One day. Everyone would wear a helmet in one day. And thousands of lives would be saved. Thousands of lives. The lack of helmet enforcement is a boil on the face of Thailand. In a country where driving is as dangerous as it is here, not wearing a helmet is a bit like playing Russian roulette, with three bullets in the barrel. It is ridiculously dangerous. I would never even consider leaving the house without my helmet. Ever. It is just too risky. My life is just too complicated without a broken skull. The head hitting the concrete is not a pretty sight.

Good point! But i was trying to point out you ride a bike here and dress as an American football player, its not going to lower accidents and death rates.

Encouraged. Encouraged. I repeat encouraged. Is this a comedy routine? Why not just simply enforce the law? Do you know how long it would take for EVERYONE to wear helmets here, if the penalty for not wearing one was confiscation of your bike, and the payment of 5,000 baht to get it back? One day. Nationwide. One day. Everyone would wear a helmet in one day. And thousands of lives would be saved. Thousands of lives. The lack of helmet enforcement is a boil on the face of Thailand. In a country where driving is as dangerous as it is here, not wearing a helmet is a bit like playing Russian roulette, with three bullets in the barrel. It is ridiculously dangerous. I would never even consider leaving the house without my helmet. Ever. It is just too risky. My life is just too complicated without a broken skull. The head hitting the concrete is not a pretty sight.

And putting in prison the people who cause accidents would save ten's of thousands of lives. I fail to understand why people just moan about helmet use, which has NO input in reducing accidents!

And putting in prison the people who cause accidents would save ten's of thousands of lives. I fail to understand why people just moan about helmet use, which has NO input in reducing accidents!

No, it wouldn't reduce the number of accidents, however; it would absolutely reduce the number of fatalities caused as a result of those accidents thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

No, it wouldn't reduce the number of accidents, however; it would absolutely reduce the number of fatalities caused as a result of those accidents thumbsup.gif

In the case of cars hitting motor bikes, i doubt it, in the case of a rider slipping off their bike, possibly. But i would still question the cause of the slip, if sand, bad road, diesel etc, there is still a cause to be stopped, rather than forcing people to wear protection in case you are in an accident. wai2.gif

Incompetent Thailand...in other Asian countries wearing a helmet is the law and it's enforced......but not in Thailand....like so many other instances that should protect the people and never are. Thai people are expendable.

No lights at night,driving the wrong way,ignoring basic traffic rules,drunk driving,three or more on a bike.

I could go on but if basic traffic law was enforced properly the death rate would tumble. Overloaded pick-up vehicles with up to 20 on board mean a simple accident flings the passengers to their death.

Life is cheap in Thailand.

• Like 1

Incompetent Thailand...in other Asian countries wearing a helmet is the law and it's enforced......but not in Thailand....like so many other instances that should protect the people and never are. Thai people are expendable.

No lights at night,driving the wrong way,ignoring basic traffic rules,drunk driving,three or more on a bike.

I could go on but if basic traffic law was enforced properly the death rate would tumble. Overloaded pick-up vehicles with up to 20 on board mean a simple accident flings the passengers to their death.

Life is cheap in Thailand.

As you say, police are the problem, not guiding folk.

I had a long conversation with a well educated Thai police chief some months ago. He has been on seconded visits to the US and UK and

agrees there are major issues with Thailand's drivers.

However he stressed that there would be major protests if the law was enforced.

Kids of 13 up riding mopeds to school are a classic example. He said the police turn a blind eye to the practice because many students are not on a bus route.

I believe financial penalties are the best way of enforcing the law. Hit the culprits where it hurts.

Now there's a typical Western viewpoint. Regulate and impose crushing fines which primarily effect the poorer segment of society!

Here's my idea. Repeal the helmet law and let individuals decide if they wish to ride with or without. The law isn't about saving lives; it's about police funding. Helmet laws are money makers imposed by individuals with power and control issues. Come on - do you really care whether or not other people engage in activities that are a danger to the individual. What I care about are activities that are a danger to everyone on the road.

If the government was interested in saving lives, they'd impose crushing fines for reckless types of driving (passing on blind corners, excessive speeding, failure to stop or yield, blocking a entire freeway while making illegal u-turns, failure to maintain lanes; erratic (and probably drunk) driving -- then -- enforce moving violations. Can't pay the fine, impound and sell the car (or bike). Impounding and selling off BMWs and Honda CRVs will bring the BIB much more income then selling some poor sot's old beat-up Wave 110 because he isn't wearing a helmet. And the roads would be a much safer place to drive.

cheesy.gif Rotflmao -- never happen.

Edited by connda

Check out this recently Pulitizer organization fatality interactive map.

This was just published. Thailand is second only to Dominican Republic for per capita fatalities.

http://roadskillmap.com/#17.895114303749143,26.806640624999996,1

Thailand is 38 deaths per 100k. 73% of them being from motorbikes.

Clearly there is huge room for improvement.

Where do we actually start, ??? cannot take everyone off the road, they cannot be re trained as there is no one to re train them.

Immediate start would be the from day 1 is who are issued licenses to drive. ONLY persons proving in some form that they are capable.

Driving examiners to take tests for 1 hour the same as the U.K.

But before this test 1 year provisional license has to be had, with L plate on the vehicle.

At no time should any license be BOUGHT.

Parents who let kids out -underage shall be punished for condoning.

Police shall GIVE a ticket to persons violating to be paid at the local fines office--NOT the police, it's not their business.

Heavy fines /confiscation of vehicle if repeated offences.

Black marks for offences-banning driving on a points collected basis.

Schools to play a part in tuition, with police attending classes to help with this.

THEN you start to get respect.

I totally agree 1000% with most of what you say above.

I would also like to see the birch, the so-called short, sharp shock treatment that was going to be implemented during the 1970s as a deterrent to curb anti social young thugs and the death penalty reinstated in the UK, plus a new law created in Thailand that all Thai women between the ages of 20 and 30 must marry farangs over the age of 50. (Only joking).

But this would be in a perfect world and I very much doubt that all you have mentioned and I have mentioned will happen in our lifetime.

There is no such place as Utopia, wherever we live there is always going to be the good, the bad and the ugly.

My philosophy is, we just have to slog along with the flow and make the most of it.. There are many things that wind me up here also, but I try to make the most of my time in Thailand, keep a low profile, keep spending the money, smiling and kissing the asses of the Immigration officers once a year when I apply for my visa extension, which is about as exciting as being in a car crash.

Most of us here are all in the same boat. My Dad once said to me; don`t let the bastards grind you down, and he was right.

Anyway, Christmas is coming and my main concern at the moment is where can a find a big fairy to stick on top of the Christmas tree?

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Why doesn't the big shot tell his paid police servants to enforce the law that is already in place. rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Yep so very true. Many of Thailand's woes and unnecessary deaths could be solved by having an effective police force, sadly Thailand only has the RTP. Is it really so difficult to ask them to do their jobs?facepalm.gif

I was amazed at the massive up take in helmets here in Phnom Penh a few years back when our dear leader announced it was now illegal to ride without one. There are still lots of people riding without helmets but I have to say the numbers were very impressive and I am fairly confident a higher percentage of Khmer's wear helmets than Thai's. I find the situation in Thailand laughable, most people I see actually wearing a helmet don't have it done up so it's an utter waste of time anyway. My wife had 2 accidents without a helmet despite the warning's, the first made a mess of her and yet she still refused to wear one. It was only after the second one left her looking like she had gone a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson that she decided it might be a good idea after all. People will change if they know they can be stopped anytime anywhere and be fined 500baht, no bullshit. A few graphic but educational doco's about the horrific injuries and suffering people have experienced might actually get some of these idiots thinking.

If the government really cared about motorcycle drivers, they would forfeit their greed and reduce or eliminate the tax on quality imported helmets. You can easily spend over 20,000 baht on a deceit helmet because of the ridiculous taxes.

Rubbish, they will not wear the free ones that come with the bike.......rolleyes.gif let alone BUY one..........coffee1.gif

• Like 1

In the case of cars hitting motor bikes, i doubt it, in the case of a rider slipping off their bike, possibly. But i would still question the cause of the slip, if sand, bad road, diesel etc, there is still a cause to be stopped, rather than forcing people to wear protection in case you are in an accident. wai2.gif

I do get what you're trying to say - concentrate on reducing the number of accidents as less accidents should = less fatatalities, but the truth of the matter is that even coming off a bike at relatively low speeds (less than 30kph) there's a very real danger of fatal head injuries being sustained. A friend of mine was clipped by a car that was just slightly too early pulling out, the bike took a wobble and he fell off. He was only doing 20 odd kph as he'd just pulled out of a junction, he was a bit roughed up but his wife was less lucky. She hit her head on the pavement, was in a coma for 3 months and then died as a result of her injuries. If she'd been wearing a helmet, she'd have walked away from that one. I get the impression (sorry no stats to back up my suspicion) that many of the accidents we're talking about in Thailand would involve this type of low speed 'get-off's' and if this is the case, then why not take steps to protect yourself and likely save your life?

I also never quite got why all the little girls who are so determined to keep the sun off their face incase they get "see dum" thet they wobble around with their jacket pulled up over their face to the extent that they cannot possibly have anything like a safe field of vision - why not just wear a helmet? No see dum, two hands on the bars and a piece of kit that may save their life on their head.... incredible...!! facepalm.gif

Bla, bla,bla. I am a motorcyclist, I wear a helmet. Get a taxi motorcycle sometimes, can I have a helmet, pleases? Mai pen rai, dumlooud mai jub. Still want a helmet, dirty or otherwise. Practise what I preach and all that. If the bib would just charge 500 baht and give a genuine ticket to those not wearing a helmet Thailand would have a lot more dosh. Arr, but now what do we do about the babies in mother's arms, or mum and dad with helmets, undone, of course with their little Somchai shoved in the middle. Makes my blood boil, so it does!

I'm a cyclist and virtually stopped riding motorbike taxis long ago. I have three motorbike helmets that I have used while cycling and one lighter-weight, cycling helmet. A helmet should fit very well to be effective. It would be very difficult for a motorbike taxi to carry passenger helmets in various sizes.

My advice to you, or anyone, if you're going ride motorbike taxis (or any motorbike), BYOH (Bring Your Own Helmet) and it should be a good fit for you and with the chin-strap fastened (around the chin), regardless why you are wearing it. If you think it's not cool to carry a helmet around, then how uncool is it to waste away an a hospital as a vegetable? I've seen only one Thai, a young woman, do this and I'm on the street a lot.

Edited by MaxYakov

If the government really cared about motorcycle drivers, they would forfeit their greed and reduce or eliminate the tax on quality imported helmets. You can easily spend over 20,000 baht on a deceit helmet because of the ridiculous taxes.

Rubbish, they will not wear the free ones that come with the bike.......rolleyes.gif let alone BUY one..........coffee1.gif

I picked up a sturdy Index TitAn helmet with full visor (not full-face/chin) for 650 baht on sale at Tesco. Used it occasionally while cycling, but it muffled street noise a little too much (sounds are very important for defensive cycling but I eventually compensated). But they are not ventilated and it got very hot. Maybe the heat is one reason they don't like to wear helmets.

Anyway, It may not meet the strictest Western helmet standards, but at least it was not one of those thin-walled, poorly-padded toy helmets that are common.

How many beers = 650 baht?

Guys, seriously. These helmets, which you can buy in tesco, big c, motorbike shops etc... they are not safe at all. They have very weak fasten band under your chin and enough a medium effect to lose the helmet as I have seen many times in scenes of accident.

So if they push enough the population to use helmet this is will not be solution.

Edited by Loles

Guys, seriously. These helmets, which you can buy in tesco, big c, motorbike shops etc... they are not safe at all. They have very weak fasten band under your chin and enough a medium effect to lose the helmet as I have seen many times in scenes of accident.

So if they push enough the population to use helmet this is will not be solution.

Sure, the cheap ones are a joke, but my Index Titan is very heavy, well-built, fairly tough chin strap. I wore it only while cycling, it was certainly more protective than the typical cycling helmet (but a lot hotter). If a sturdier helmet is desired, then where there's a will there's a way. Perhaps a Western-manufactured with high standards can be purchased, but I haven't researched it.

The better alternative, IMHO, is to avoid motorbikes altogether. Bicycles are much safer than motorbikes for a plethora of reasons and they're becoming more popular in Bangkok.

Edited by MaxYakov