Thai Finance Ministry: BAAC has sufficient funds for rice subsidy

webfact

Finance Ministry: BAAC has sufficient funds for rice subsidy
By English News

13851822337149.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 23 - The Commerce Ministry stood firm that it has enough budget to subsidise the rice pledging plan which needs a circulating fund of Bt500 billion.

Deputy Finance Minister Tanusak Lek-uthai denied a report that the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) ran out of funds for the rice subsidy scheme and reassured that the government is capable of managing the programme under the Bt500 billion framework.

The BAAC has paid Bt3.52 billion for the rice purchase plan which reached 20,000 farmer households, he said.

He said the government has spent Bt680 billion to purchase rice and returned Bt180 billion to the BAAC, adding that the BAAC has Bt500 billion revolving fund for rice purchases until the end of this year.

The BAAC was allocated an extra Bt82 billion for next year's rice subsidy, Bt55 billion of which will be spent on rice subsidy for the 2013/2014 harvest, he said.

Adding Bt24 billion from the Commerce Ministry, the BAAC will have a revolving fund of Bt79 billion which is sufficient for the scheme, said Mr Tanusak.

He said the Public Debt Managment Office will issue bonds for the Bt75 billion revolving fund and the Cabinet has approved Bt7.1 billion to compensate the BAAC for rice packages.

The BAAC will also earn additional money from sales of rice on a government-to-government basis, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-23

The old saying of where there is smoke there is fire, might just apply here, not much will be gained except Thailand's loss of finances ,with this subsidy hogwash , except of course vote buying, regardless of this out come with the BAAC, the point raised is that funds are lacking and the PTP will go to any lengths to stay in power, with vote buying , no more no less, are the financial coffers of Thailand in good hands???? I think not.bah.gif

• Like 1

They could borrow the money from the multi-billion dollar flood control fund which hasn't been spent yet. (555555555555)

That would assume that it hasn't been spent on diamond encrusted clocks or shipped out of the country in heavy suitcases

• Like 1

3.5 billion paid out , to 20,000 farmer households ???? what are farmer households ??? nationwide ???

In my large amper (town area) there are at least 20,000 households-farmers with land.

They said HOUSEHOLDS paid--doubt it--I think it should have said AR#E Holes. May be I'm out of my depth with the subject, but the households paid 20,000 only ???? oh well it must be true.

Indeed this tissue of lies would be beyond belief in the real world. However here in P.T.P. Plunderland all is sweetness and light, money is freely available to the politicians it seems

However the lower orders the rice growers are yet again being shafted thus they are now unsure whether their anuses are punched, bored or countersunk due to the constant shafting processes being employed by Thaksins puppet government.

However it is now acknowledged that the P.T.P. minister and the M.P' s are suffering from ''piles.''

''Piles of money,'' due to the creative scams schemes so beloved by this puppet government.

It is reported elsewhere that the 82 billion that the minister mentioned has been allocated from NEXT YEARS budget.

So we see them robbing the future to pay the present.

After the intended VAT hike to 8%. A whopping 10% was floated, but they thought better to ease it in slowlydry.pngSo, if they're still here (doubtful IMHO), look forward to yet more inflation to cover their incompetence/blatant theft.

"BANGKOK, Nov 23 - The Commerce Ministry stood firm that it has enough budget to subsidise the rice pledging plan which needs a circulating fund of Bt500 billion."

There some good news, but hang on.

"He said the government has spent Bt680 billion to purchase rice and returned Bt180 billion to the BAAC, adding that the BAAC has Bt500 billion revolving fund for rice purchases until the end of this year."

So there were overdrawn by 680 billion baht and now they are overdrawn by 500 billion baht, so they have zero balance. How is that enough budget to subsidise the plan? But wait there's more.

"The BAAC was allocated an extra Bt82 billion for next year's rice subsidy, Bt55 billion of which will be spent on rice subsidy for the 2013/2014 harvest, he said. Adding Bt24 billion from the Commerce Ministry, the BAAC will have a revolving fund of Bt79 billion which is sufficient for the scheme, said Mr Tanusak."

So now he says the BAAC doesn't have enough budget and must be allocated extra funds which will be funded by the Public Debt Management Office who will increase their debt load.

Hmm, this spin doesn't hold water, sounds like more misdirection and a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul, a sure formula for financial disaster.

Good question. Where are the 500Billion Baht?
Is this the stokepiled, unsold rice?
Bought 40% above the market price?
value currently 357 Billion Baht
loss: 143 Billion Baht?
(143.000.000.000.) Hope the number is right?
Hey u could build 14.000 nice Houses for 1 Million Baht each.
That would be the loss then?

i am confused.

Yesterday the BAAC reported that they can not pay the farmers.

They must wait 45 Days more?

So were are the 500 Billion? (now)
Edited by tomacht8

I just want to know what kind of idiot would issue this government credit.

The idiots may be closer than you think. What better capital to invest in you home territory than that you have plundered from the same instituation?????

I have been interested enough in this rice thing to keep a small data base of some of the quotes from ministers and others, for instance :

21.10 The Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) will borrow 140 billion baht with the Finance Ministry's guarantee to fund the 270-billion-baht budget set for the government's rice-pledging.

So a month ago the BAAC needed 270 billion to fund the scheme and was going to borrow 140 billion to tide it over.

Now we have the finance ministry saying all they need is 79 Billion

That was one quote that I can use but there are several more that I cant, however I will paraphrase :

The commerce Minister is claiming 7 billion from cabinet for rice given to flood victims or as overseas aid.

It would seem without providing any proof of what they have given to who.

An independent costing of the scheme says that the cost of buying the rice from farmers plus operating costs is 26,605.52 B per ton

this means the govt loses 15,169.31 B per ton.

Add in the off season crop and the Govt has bought 3.62 million tons of rice in the first 2 years so as of 31 Jan 2013 the actual loss is 459.61 billion B

And finally regards the 82 billion :

The 82 billion baht will come from the fiscal-2014 budget earmarked to pay the BAAC's debt.

So as I said before they are dipping into next years budget to pay this years debt.

• Like 1